Onkyo TX-8050 - a short review & initial impressions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brother_Rael, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. everton

everton Forum Resident

I'm wondering if people could comment on the 8050's internet radio functionality. I'm practically computer illiterate, and here in Canada, we don't have access to popular music streaming sites such as Pandora. So, I can only use it to listen to internet radio stations. Does the receiver have a pre-programmed set of stations that I can use right away? Or do I have to manually enter each station address? Sorry if my questions are off base...I have no experience with internet radio. I just want to get something that is easy to use. Thanks.

P.S. I've read owners' comments on Amazon, and am not sure what to believe. Very conflicting opinions about the internet radtio functionality there.

2. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

Go to vtuner.com to preview the station list to see what is available.

My setup is hard wired. It was pretty much plug and play with the two line LED. Connect the ethernet cable, click NET on the remote, select VTUNER, browse by genre, etc. If you have one station you listen to all the time, the last station visited is just a click or two away.

I wanted to set up my own favorites, categories, etc. You get the MAC address from the LED, and plug it into a vtuner Web site. It is not hard to do, but the instructions are buried in the manual with all the other stuff it does on line, pandora, etc. From the Amazon comments, it appears that phone help is readily available if you need help. I didn't. Some folks are trying to do complex stuff with wireless networks, zones, etc. I can't comment on that. But I was very satisfied with the Internet radio interface; it is the reason I bought it.

3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Thanks to those who replied in regards to what type of speakers you are running with the 8050. Curious...does this have enough power to drive the Polk RTi series? I.E. A7 and A9's?

JQ

4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes; 90db and 8 ohms. The US 8050 delivers 80pc. Not a problem.

5. Doorbell

Doorbell Member

I'm using rti4s which are older rti a1s and they sound great with the receiver.

Though I notice I need to turn it up to around 25-29 to get it reasonably loud.

6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

My brother got the 8050 two days ago and I set it up for him. Nice piece of gear! But today he tells me that he gets occasional drop-outs when listening to internet radio. Has anyone here encountered this problem? Since these drop-outs seem to be occurring more often on a certain channel it might not be receiver-related after all, but I thought I ask anyway.

7. Brother_Rael

Hi, yes, the bane of network audio - the dropout. Hard to say what's the issue, it could of course be the amp, but I'd guess that the network or ISP is the more likely issue. Could be bandwidth issues, could be heavy traffic on the network.

I've had similar problems with TV streaming occasionally - my former Sony Bravia would "stick" when using the BBC's iPlayer from time to time and that wasn't the TV, or the BBC, but the network.

8. wolfram

Thanks. I will ask my brother to pay a little closer attention to how often these drop outs occur and if they are limited to certain stations or times of day (or other surrounding circumstances).

9. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

I had planned on getting one of these receivers, but the speakers I'm now interested in are 4 ohm (Polk LSi9). I would be doing a simple 2ch setup with no other speakers attached. Would I just be asking for trouble if I tried this combination?

10. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

Those speakers should be fine, they are full range, and accept 20-200 watts.
    The TX-8050 supports 4-16 ohm speakers.

11. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Good news! I hadn't seen that info anywhere. I was mainly concerned I wouldn't have enough power to bring out the full potential of the Polks.

12. Doorbell

Doorbell Member

If you do get this combo, let us know how it sounds. I hope to get the lsi9's some time this year.

13. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

To those of you pairing the TX-8050 to a CD player. I'm curious as to what the overall preference is. Are connected by Analog or Digital connections?
    I'm currently connected by a pair of Auvio RCA cables, but I'm thinking about using a Digital coax cable. I don't expect much or any difference, other than accepting the sound difference; if any; of the DAC in my C-7030 or TX-8050.

14. Brother_Rael

I've used Atlas Navigators betwixt this and the SA7001-KI CDP but also a Fisual coax. I recently swapped out the Navvies for another cable and performance for all three is good.

It works well, in other words, with interconnects costing up to £200 though I've not tried more expensive cables. You probably wouldn't go that far either for this unit but it'll take them.

15. wolfram

When I set it up for my brother I connected it both ways, so he could decide for himself. I found the difference to be a matter of taste. The CD player's DAC (ancient) sounded a bit fuller and warmer, but the Onkyo's DAC sounded clearer and somewhat more "right". Just try both and then decide.

16. everton

everton Forum Resident

Does the 8050 have a slightly rolled-off high frequencies? My current amp is an Onkyo a-9555. When I first got it, I could notice that the high frequencies were not as prominent as what I had been used to. But as time passed, I've grown to accept it.

17. Brother_Rael

Don't know about rolled off. I would be more inclined to say that it's not a 'bright' sounding amp which is an accusation levelled at many modern amps (and other gear) in recent years. If that's the same as rolled-off, I will leave that to others to comment on.

18. PJJK

PJJK Forum Resident

I'm contemplating getting one of these and have a question for folks who use it. If I run HDMI to my TV, then run optical digital audio to the receiver to route all audio, will this not be HD audio?

19. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

Um...The TX-8050 supports upto 96kHz / 24 bit PCM audio. Which is HD, but it doesn't do Dolby, or DTS.

20. Brother_Rael

No. It'll do FLAC but not the kinds of hi-res audio you have with TV or home cinema. Different animal.

21. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

Has there ever been a full audiophile review and analysis of the TX-8050? Most places just mention it in passing.

22. Brother_Rael

23. dayday

dayday Senior Member

i've owned this receiver since 2012 and have had no problems with it. i use it for playing vinyl records, networking with my digital music library and streaming internet radio. everything works and sounds great!

Brother_Rael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.