How strictly do you define "instrumental" songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guppy270, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm currently making two playlists of Billboard singles-charting instrumentals, one for the years 1960-1964 and the other 1965-1969 (those five are my personal favorite period for instrumentals, just great stuff). So, I was just curious...when making compilations, playlists, etc:

How "strictly" do you define instrumental?

I'm thinking about the type of songs that contain a bare minimum of vocals..... such as "Wipeout", "Tequila", "Soul Finger", and "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"?

Of course, it's not a life or death decision, and no "answer" is correct or incorrect....I'd just like to see other opinions on the matter :)

Grant likes this.
  2. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

(Lots of Pink Floyd song titles to come) I consider it instrumental if the vocals are either there to boost the music (i.e. as an instrument, like "The Great Gig In The Sky"), if they aren't "traditional" (like every radio broadcast snippet Roger Waters used on The Final Cut, although none of those songs are instrumentals to begin with), if they're meaningless (like the weird barking thing on "Pow R Toc H") or if it would be pretty much pointless to print as the official lyrics ("one of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces").

Basically if any spoken word (or sung parts for that matter) doesn't conform to some general consensus of lyrics, I don't consider them lyrics and I feel they function as an instrument more (again, going back to Roger's beloved radio samples). I typically decide on a case-by-case basis but since I don't consider ominous Latin chanting as lyrics, I see it as an instrument to carry a melody.

lightbulb, drasil and guppy270 like this.
  3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I would consider all of the examples in the OP instrumentals.

I would consider Great Gig in the Sky a vocalise* for what it is worth. The voice is used as an instrument. But something like Wipeout, the voice is just an effect.

*vo·cal·ise
    (vō′kə-lēz′) n. An exercise, composition, or arrangement in which a performer sings solmization syllables or other meaningless vocal sounds rather than a text.

Now can we come up with a whole playlist of those? :)

Naughty Chord and guppy270 like this.
  4. According to the dictionary, a song is a musical composition meant to be sung. In that order of ideas, an instrumental is not a song.

EddieT, ARK and Werner Berghofer like this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If you take away the instruments and the vocal part that is left is insufficient to be considered a song, then it was an instrumental not a song.

6. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

David Bowie's All Saints compilation of his instrumentals included tracks like "Warszawa," "Subterraneans," and "V2 Schneider," all of which include singing.

8. John54

John54 Senior Member

I've always thought of Wipeout and the others as instrumentals.

A handful of songs consist of a long instrumental passage followed by a minute or two of vocals, like The Gulf of Knowledge by Tai Phong. I guess they're not technically instrumentals.

9. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

Yes, exactly

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No vocals. Instruments being played only. As in the recent Steven Wilson reissues, wherein the vocal track is removed, and is labeled as the instrumental version.

11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

TSOP had minimal Three Degree vocals. I think it's an instrumental.
    The Hustle...that is too.

Grant likes this.
  12. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Here's my problem with the "no vocals" rule: by that standard, a vocal record should have no instruments!

13. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Some old records specify "vocal with instrumental accompaniment" or language of that sort on the label.

14. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I consider anything without lyrics to be instrumental. If it has vocals but they are wordless, that's still an instrumental in my book.

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I agree with you. It's OK if it has some background, chanting, or occasional vocals.

16. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

That seems fair. I consider "Telstar" an instrumental, for instance.

17. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Jazz songs with scat vocals - ie wordless - are those also instrumentals?

18. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

What do you think?
    Joni Mitchell's voice is pretty much another instrument on this recording.
    You can bend the rules. There are no fines or jail time involved ...

19. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

A piece of music with no lyrics :shh:

Bruce Burgess likes this.
  20. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Yes, because scat vocals, by definition, are not words, just sounds. The voice is being used solely as an instrument and not to convey a more specific message through language.

21. TMS61

TMS61 Well-Known Member

or we could go even further and define instrumental songs to the tunes written and first recorded without lyrics . Green onions , Tequila, Popcorn , Apache...

22. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I consider this an instrumental, though the vocals are my favorite part...

guppy270 likes this.
  23. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I would think the logical cutoff point would be any that contains anything vocally that is less than a phrase.
    Tequilla and Wipeout simply say the name of the song, and don't really express any ideas.

guppy270 likes this.
  24. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Ok, this is a stretch but, this implies that if the vocal contains sounds that are somewhat unintelligible as words, so would that mean that songs sung by Bob Dylan are all instrumentals?

bunglejerry and longaway like this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Boy, this thread is an exercise in taking a simple question and making it incomprehensible.

PHILLYQ and bob60 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.