Rega Brio-R or Rogue Sphinx?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jp2000, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp2000

jp2000 New Member Thread Starter

Hello,

I currently have a Rega RP3 with a Dynavector 10x5. I have the Pioneer FS52 Floor stander speakers. My amplifier is an older Yamaha surround sound receiver.

I would like to upgrade my system and have been told that I would receive the most impact by getting a new integrated amplifier. After some research, I am thinking about either the Rega Brio-R or Rogue Sphinx.

Down the line, I plan to upgrade the speakers as well.

Is there a clear choice between these two? the Brio-R seems to be more affordable, however, if there was a dramatic increase in performance for the Sphinx, I could consider it. I listen to vinyl and also digital files.

Also, are there any benefits of pairing a Rega amplifier with a Rega turntable?

I appreciate any input/advice.

Thanks

2. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

There's a recent thread here talking about the Sphinx. I have read that there were some noise issues with the first Sphinx generation phono stage, but I think they straightened that out with a V2 of that unit.

I have a Rega Brio-R and it's pretty decent, but to my ears my 6 watt Decware Taboo beats it in every category except for decibels (the Brio-R has many more watts so it plays louder) and flexibility to which the Brio-R with a remote, more inputs and a Phono Stage for the price is really hard to beat. I think your looking at the right wattage for your current speakers though between the Rega and Rogue units.

I honestly don't think that there is any "sonic" benefits to pairing a Rega TT with the Brio-R other than the Brio-R having a pretty decent phono stage built into it already makes for pretty much of a no-brainer, inexpensive, plug and play setup. But my Rega RP6 TT has performed well with Rega gear of course, but to my ears actually sounds better in my McIntosh/Decware setup (but much more expensive than the little Brio-R).

3. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Both are really excellent options. Sphinx sound will be a little more straight forward, with the ability to alter that slightly with swapping out the 2 pre tubes. Both the V1 and V2 versions of the Sphinx are fairly similar with the V2 having a lower overall noise floor and bumped up gain in the phono stage. So if you can find a V2, that's likely a bit better.

Phono stages in both units are pretty comparable and should do well with your Rega.

Rega has roughly about half the power of the Sphinx.

I sell both units here, and really like both quite a bit. Fantastic performers without have to spend tons of money. I've never heard your speakers, but know of no reason why either would not work well with them.

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Rogue Audio Sphinx is the better amplifier. Both are very nice sounding and good values. I have been a dealer for both brands for 15 years or more and have used most all of both companies offerings in various systems over the years. Since you are also going to upgrade the speakers soon, I wouldn't put too much thought into the mate between the speakers and amp at this point, rather just buy the best amplifier that you can afford. Then, when you buy speakers, you will have some more insight into what you would prefer and can choose something that best suits the system.
    -Bill

5. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I started off with an older Rega Brio (the much larger silver wider version) and I really enjoyed it. I would purchase it again. I had it paired with a Rega P1. I upgraded eventually to a VPI Scout and later my amp to a Sphinx. I am really enjoying the Sphinx. For the following reasons:
    1) American made
    2) excellent build quality
    3) can easily replace tubes which will practically allow you to have a new amp
    4) sounds superb
    5) pretty decent headphone jack

It's a great amp. I will keep this guy for a while, and maybe I will upgrade down the line. However, if I didn't have to purchase another amp for a good 20 years, I would be ok with that.

500Homeruns and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

How soon will you upgrade speakers? It might make more sense to do that first, then add an amp that will drive them best.

7. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I haven't heard the Rogue, would love to though.

But I can speak to the Brio-R! I feel as it your decision depends on what you are ultimately trying to accomplish. The Brio-R does what it does very very well, but within it's limitations. It doesn't drive deeply, and it doesn't extend into the great wide open. It sits in the middle and does it's thing, perhaps ideally with a nice pair of 8 ohm stand mounters, like Rega's own RX1. I tried to drive too much load with the Brio-R for far too long, and when I finally upgraded to the ElexR it was a massive improvement.

If I were you I'd think through both amp and speaker pairing simultaneously, and save up.

8. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Love both amps; the main advantage of the Sphinx would (maybe?) the 'grunt' factor to drive more difficult speakers(?)

I'd say both amps have a 'lively' character, and the ability to be musically insightful (providing your source is.) For around a grand, they're amazing IMO.

9. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I'm thinking along these lines too. That, to me, seems to be the more pressing issue.

10. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I've owned both. I would take the Sphinx over the Brio-r in a New York Minute.

SandAndGlass and Seancito like this.
  11. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Yes. 100 times over, yes.

12. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The FS52's appear to be Andrew Jones designed speakers. Never heard them, but they are probably fairly decent (especially at the price point). I would likely still say go with the amp change first, and speakers later.

Tough call.....

13. jp2000

jp2000 New Member Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the responses so far. I do appreciate everyone's advice.

As a follow up (and I realize opinions will vary widely) are there a few speaker choices that are universally recommended? I know there are many factors to consider, but perhaps something also in the $1,000-$1,500 price range?

Thanks again for the help,
    John

14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Check out the Rega RX1; if you have a little extra scratch (and a dealer near), Russell K Red 50.

15. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I demo'ed the original version of the Rogue Sphinx, and was underwhelmed. The vacuum tube preamp was noisy (hiss, bad noise floor, microphonics), and the Class D amp section was lacking. IMO, the build quality was cheezy, and the remote control ($100 extra) only controlled volume. I returned it for a NAD C 375BEE. Paired with a good external phono preamp, this will be the last integrated amp you will ever need. You can buy a refurbished NAD with a factory warranty for under $1,000 here:

nadc375beer NAD C 375Bee Refurbished - Integrated Amplifiers »

basie-fan likes this.
  16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

My understanding is that they vastly improved by the second version. I am a Rogue tube amp customer and although I have not had the oppertunity to listen to the old or the new Sphinx, everything I read is positive. Don't ruld out the newer used Peachtree class D offerings. Some of which sell on the Peachtree eBay store for about $600 refurbished, with the same warrranty as new. You get a Saber DAC, a class A preamp and a class class D amp with plenty of power, build quality is excellent.

17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have a question for you. I have both Rogue and Peachtree equipment but not the new class D stuff. As familiar as I am with their previous equipment and I own a couple of Rogue amps like the Cronos and the M-120's and the M-150's. I also am familiar with the Peachtree Music box, Nova and iNova, having a few of these amps.

How does their new class D amps compare to the older sand and glass amps of a few years ago?

I have a couple of class D crown XLS-2000 amps in a portable audio rack that can use to power my PA system if I wish (I usuall don't) but if I want to take it to an event I am able to. I route the preamp out from the Peachtree to the Emotiva processor for bass management. I take the LFE output into the Crown with summed mono, going into a USC1 commercial subwoofer.

I found the Crown amps very fast and detailed but not as polite as the Emotiva XPA-2, that I use with home stereo speakers for the front mains or the tube amps that I usuall run the A7's with. But, I have to say, they can kick some butt.

18. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Rogue amplifiers are all entirely built in the USA, so the quality is exceptional and equal to what the tube amps offer. The only sub-assembly part that is not USA or Canadian origin are the Class D modules themselves. These are not Chinese knock-offs of the old ICE module or some T-amp design, rather are from the most respected designer of class D amps in the world, Bruno Putzeys (Bruno Putzeys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »). Rogue Audio's Mark O'Brien chose to use only the Hypex output modules and build his own linear power supply for them. So there is no switching power supply in there and there are two mono modules as output, so it's a dual mono configuration. By designing his own vacuum tube input stage, Mark has taken what is an excellent amplifier in its own right and given it a touch smoother voicing with some of the depth of stage associated with vacuum tubes, but with still enough immediacy and transparency to not sound "like a tube amp". It fits well within the rest of the companies design goals of a line of products with high fidelity sound, top build quality, and excellent value for the dollar.

Sonically, the bass is amazing; deep, powerful, fast, and accurate as you might expect from a top quality class D design. But the advantage here is that it retains that while the top end is smoother and more listenable than with most Class D units and yet it doesn't go so far with the tube coloration to soften or compress things to the extent that it nullifies any advantage that the class D may have offered. Rather, it takes advantage of both topologies and uses them to compliment each other.
    -Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.