Springsteen autobiography*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Yeah, I love Bruce like he's my brother older teenage brother's best friend, but that's just plain lazy.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  2. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

Well, it beats "King of the Supermarket".

dee, babyblue, Nipper and 5 others like this.
  3. I came I saw I concurred.

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

In some ways, his public persona is calculated with a controlled narrative. Will he really open up and be brutally honest about his life and career? It isn't all pretty.

DrBeatle and budwhite like this.
  5. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

While I'm looking forward to this, I'd much rather have Garry Tallent tell his story. Fingers crossed this is a "Marsh Free" edition of the story.

Can't wait to find out who they have lined up for the audio book version.

babyblue likes this.
  6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I'll probably do the audio version. I hope he does it himself. Or Ben Stiller

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Sounds like a great read already. I'm interested in how he feels about the high quality of those two albums released together and then the often poor reception that they originally received. Must have been frightening. I love some of that material.

8. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

GregK likes this.
  9. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

hopefully he goes easy on the pictures. The books in the box sets just seem to be a photo-dump

dee likes this.
  10. I'd buy that book. Garry Tallent and I were born on the same day, and we both played bass. He's a teeny bit better-known than I am.

Solace and budwhite like this.
  11. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Agreed. For instance, I have no idea what your middle initial is! :agree:

Solace likes this.
  12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I hope he wrote it himself. He's certainly intelligent enough. But writing songs and writing books are two different things, and I hope Jon Landau or Dave Marsh didn't write it based on notes or "interviews."
    Either way, I don't expect anything really earth-shattering or mind-blowing or any new information from out of left-field, and as in the case of his music,it wouldn't surprise me if the really interesting stuff is left "off" the released product.

But I hope I'm wrong.

13. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I thought the same thing....

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  14. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Shout-out...Frank Stefanko, "Corvette Winter", 1978.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

Marsh. Ugh. :sigh:

16. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Lynn Goldsmith's "memories" of him in her book Rock and Roll Stories were interesting. Hardcover payback coming?
    He wrote a children's book?
    [​IMG]
    Who knew?

17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Any news about the audio version?

18. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

19. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I had seen quite awhile ago it was to be read by Bruce. I don't see that anywhere now. Maybe the tour extending has eaten up the time he would have used to do that. Too bad, if that's that's the case.
    I bought Townshend's bio and had begun to read it before I discovered Pete was reading the audio version, so I bought that and began again, it made huge difference to hear his reading of it. His tone, inflections, etc. made it not only more enjoyable but more informative, as well.
    I hope that Bruce can carve out enough time to do the reading.

dee likes this.
  20. For what it's worth, not that it'll stop the avalanche of cynicism that this place regularly is these days, Mike Appel just said in an interview that Bruce has been calling him up and grilling him for details about things that went on when Appel was his manager. All indications I've heard are that Bruce wrote it himself. It makes sense to me - he's pretty single-minded when it comes to creative things.

dee likes this.
  21. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I read "Bruce" a couple of years ago. I especially liked reading about his early days as an aspiring musician in Asbury Park in the 60s-70s. Not sure what I can expect from him telling the stories. I hope is not too concerened about his 'ordinary guy' image. Ordinary guys don't fill up stadiums with a hundred thousand people around the globe. He is not ordinary at all.

daveidmarx likes this.
  22. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

A poster on the Backstreets BTX forum is stating that the word on the street is that the story in the book only goes as far as Born To Run...

I certainly hope that's not the case since I'm mainly interested in the story for everything that's happened with the band since the Born in the USA tour ended.

And they used a Darkness era photo for the cover which doesn't match the contents if it goes through the Born To Run album/tour...not that that probably matters.

If it only goes through BTR and at 500+ pages...we might see an entire chapter with "Douglas begat Bruce...and Bruce begat Evan, etc...."

23. erocky

erocky Senior Member

Pathetic? Tough crowd I guess. I liked Pete's book very much. I agree that is was surprising that he was very honest about his personal life. Pete is lucky to be alive today.

Mark E. Moon and DrBeatle like this.
  24. dee

dee Senior Member

A focused time period (through BTR) is more appealing to me as a reader. I like that era. It could be interesting reading Bruce's writing at length about Steel Mill, the local music scene, Hammond, Appel, the 3 albums, the different band lineups, and whatever else he writes about for that time. At 500 pages, I'm already overwhelmed!

kevywevy likes this.
  25. dee

dee Senior Member

At 500 pages, I am gonna need a lot of pics!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.