Is Music Consuming Different These Days?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarvius, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm the opposite. But I've always been that way. Great lyrics are nice, but nowhere near as important as great music for me.

2. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I've had lunch and now apologize for that rant. I'm always PO in the AM before I have my BM. I'm going back to bed for some beauty sleep.:magoo:

3. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I want great music and great lyrics together.

4. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

So if I understand correctly this thread is about people placing more importance on the lyrics than the music? Well to each their own. But enough about them, let's talk about me!

For many years I never paid attention to lyrics. Partly because I couldn't understand them and I didn't have a lyric sheet with the album. The internet certainly helped with that. Once I began to actually read and hear some lyrics I was surprised that some I passed over were truly creative. And I confirmed as I suspected others were really truly stupid. There are many cases where the songwriting part of things far outpaces the actual music which might be just sort of pedestrian by contrast and vice versa. But also there are many were both are equally good. But I don't ever limit myself to one or the other (unless listening to jazz or classical) and sometimes my focus changes based on mood etc. I can appreciate both.

I will say this. Being able to write really really creative lyrics is a lot harder to me than composing the musical parts for Rock and Pop music.

And finally, trying to find out and discover why a songwriter wrote a certain set of lyrics and what they mean both to the composer of said lyrics and to the listener can be a more rewarding experience than just finding out the chords someone is playing.

5. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

You can't really lump everyone together into a pile and say "this is how people listen to music" I think that maybe lyrics get a lot of emphasis from maybe the more casual listener but thats probably because they can relate or describe it a lot easier. If you are into drumming you are going to really dissect a song and analyse it but I suspect most people probably couldn't really tell the difference between drummers sound.
    With lyrics most people probably had some sort of basic education regarding english and poetry and finding deeper meaning in things so it's just more accessible or maybe they just think it's accepted of them, just look at Facebook every other post on your feed is likely to be some quote placed over some random image and them saying something about it like "So true"

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused.

[which also demonstrates that songs with greater focus on lyrics than music have been produced for quite a long time.]

7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

When?
    Why?

My OCD had to get that out of the way... ;)

8. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I take your OCD and top it with this.

BryanA-HTX and gregorya like this.
  9. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

Great lyrics and great music are not mutually exclusive, you need both to make a great song. The music complements the lyrics and vice versa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.