looking for ipod dock with rca output

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Isaac K., Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Before anybody says it, yes I know perfectly well that I can connect an iPod to any rca input in an integrated amplifier via its headphone jack. I don't want to do that. I currently have an AV receiver but want to switch to using an integrated amplifier, but what I will be giving up is the simplicity of use of connecting my ipod through a USB port. What I'm having a difficult time finding online is a good quality Dock for less than $100 that is built with the intention of running to a stereo receiver. They all seem to have built in speakers. The closest I can find is the Pro-Ject Dock Box but it is pricey at $250. ( http://www.musicdirect.com/p-99329-pro-ject-dock-box-digital-s.aspx ) Honestly, this functionality is only worth about $50 to me and any more than that I'll be content to live with using the iPod headphone output. If the Pro-Ject Dock Box also had other features like, say, blu tooth connectibility and compatibility with both the iPod Classic and iPhone 5 and 6 then I'd consider it. But it doesn't.

What other options are out there?

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Are you looking for a dock with the 30-pin connector, or Lightning cable? iPhone 5/6 are gonna be different than iPod Classic.

3. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

4. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

If you have an older model with the 30-pin connector, find one of the original Apple docks like this one:

[​IMG]

They are selling on ebay for less than $10.

For newer models, with lightning connector, maybe try the $39 Apple Lightning Dock.

[​IMG]

superstar19 and Isaac K. like this.
  5. Isaac K.

I need one primarily for an iPod Classic but one that comes with some sort of iphone 5 adapter (if such a thing exists) would be nice. I really do like the looks of Pro-Ject's Dock Box but the main reason why I don't want to spend that kind of money is because Apple no longer makes the Classic. If it breaks tomorrow I don't want to be stuck with a $250 piece of hardware that will be absolutely worthless.

6. Isaac K.

Stupid me, I never once considered going to the source. lol

7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I have the old pure i20 works perfectly for old ipod iPhone.

8. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

If you don't need the iPod to charge while you are using it, you can get one of those Fiio l10 line out dock cables

10. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Onkyo has various models, and sometimes you can control the pod through your Onkyo Receiver remote. Here's one that also has AirPlay capability: Onkyo USA Corporation »

11. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

12. Isaac K.

What about other external audio components that accept iPods? Yamaha CD players have USB ports that recognize them. Now that I think about it I would love an add on component that has all of the benefits of a networking receiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.