New Black Crowes Reissue Vinyl coming!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jeff kleinberg, Sep 30, 2013.

1. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

This is the Black Crowes. I think it's a great thing to have these great albums on vinyl in 2016. Could more care have been taken, sure, but all in all wonderful. Would I suggest peple buy these, absolutely. SYMM and SHMC were never audiophile recordings to begin with. I think many people has seriously flawed expectations for these records. I'm listening to SHMC right now, and damn glad to be. Someday maybe an audiophile label may take a crack at these, until then, enjoy these. Those people waiting on represses, I am not sure they will ever be seen. I'd grab them while they are to be had.

2. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

I listened to SYMM, and was appalled. I A-B-ed it directly with my cd (the initial mastering, not the remastered), and it sounded like someone threw a blanket over the speakers with the vinyl. A lot of detail is lost there. And I do mean a lot. Even a novice will hear this.
    The drums sound totally different, and far away, as opposed to snappy and punchy on the first pressing and first cd's.
    I don't think I ever heard such a huge difference in sound with the same album, up until now. The fact that this got released on vinyl in such a state.....something, somewhere, went terribly wrong, that's for sure. I'm going to give this one away...to someone unaware...

Jack likes this.
  3. Vynuhl.addict

Vynuhl.addict Well-Known Member

Fpas,

The original SYMM had no low bass, maybe the original vinyl made it a little better but the cd sounded like they used an lp master instead of a flat analog mix. I've heard Ian Sefchicks other mastering work and there is no way this was fumbled in the mastering, they just used the most recent remastering understandably. On a side note, in no way, shape, or form are the black crowes an audiophiles dream regarding sonics, but they are a raw rock band.

Colin

4. fpas

Well, if one record I own sounds fumbled, it is this one, for sure. It's like night and day compared to the original vinyl and the cd also.

5. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident

Ive bought 3 of these now , but have decided to skip SYMM & search out an original instead.

Ive really enjoyed the other 3 , all have been GZ , supplied in lined inners. Ive just played 3 Snakes , some of the tracks sound so phat & phunky. Quiet & flat & clean too......GZ seem to be improving....

Personally , I rate these highly . Johnny Colts bass is the star of the show on all of my favourite bits of these LP's , not that its hugely prominent , its just right.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but , If you like the sound of The Crowes , I heartily recommend these 3 LP's ........ :righton:

6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree, from side two of SHMC these sound about like I was expecting. I don't have Amorica yet but hope to acquire it soon. They aren't the best sounding records I have but it is the Black Crowes on vinyl and pretty fun to play. Do skip SYMM IMO. Instead, hunt down a copy of Croweology on vinyl where ever you can find it. At the time I bought it I had no idea what a treasure I'd stumbled on to.

7. I find the original to be not much better overall than the reissue. To me, it's bass-shy and treble-heavy; original, that is.

8. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident

Mmmm , maybe i'll stick with my CD , & find a cheap :hide: Crowology on vinyl.

9. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

Anyone know if there's any hope for a reissue of "By Your Side?" If I can get that one, it would complete my collection of their studio albums on vinyl.

Szeppelin75 and ODShowtime like this.
  10. fpas

I don't know what you are listening it on.
    I have a Pure Analog function on my Pioneer VS-LX60 amp, so that it disables all digital functions and circuitry, and listened to it with my Shure SRH1540 headphones.
    I agree that the original is a bit too much on the treble side, but the reissue sounds like it's been heavily tinkered with, and not in a good way, that is. In relation to the original recording (so not audiophile recordings in general), I'd give the original a 7 out 0f 10 score, but the reissue a 3. The drums sound like they're recorded from another room than the drums was actually placed in. As a Crowes fan I was quite upset by the sound of it. The in-your-face snappy sound of the record is completely gone.
    I know that can sound like overreacting, but I'm giving this one away. I don't want to listen to this one ever again, I find it that bad.

PteroDon and Jack like this.
  11. Feel free to look at my profile, then decide that I don't know what I'm talking about.

12. fpas

I did not say that you don't know what you're talking about....
    BTW, I too have a Ortofon Bronze. And I stand by my statement. I really think the difference is bigger than "not much". Oh well...
    You have a US pressing as well?

13. j3brow

j3brow Forum Resident

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you.

Tonight, I compared the new pressing (US, mastered at Capitol, United pressing) versus original cd and original vinyl PBTHAL rip.

It really is no comparison. The original cd/original vinyl rip sound better.
    Like fpas said, the reissue vinyl sounds like the proverbial blanket throw over the speakers, albeit a thin blanket.

I see no reason to ever listen to the reissue again.

fpas and Jack like this.
  14. Yes.

15. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

WOW! I just listened to the reissue of "Three Snakes" and thought the sound was excellent, much better than the average reissue. And, hot damn, I forgot how amazing this album is! The Black Crowes are one of the greatest American rock bands of all time. I will be ecstatic if they ever get around to reissuing "By Your Side." Who do I call to make that happen? :)

agundy and sonofjim like this.
  16. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Pimper's Paradise is a nice treat at the end of side 4 too.

Tuna82 and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree the reissue is not optimal by any means. I do have one reason I'll listen to it again. It's the only issue I have on vinyl and it sounds at least as good as my CD. Given the choice, there's no way I'll prefer to pull out those little silver POS's in this lifetime. Pretty bad for a vinyl reissue that I really had high hopes for though, you are correct.

Jack likes this.
  18. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I just received Shake Your $ Maker from Amazon. Took them two weeks to ship it! Just listened to side one and I think it sounds pretty darn good! It lacks deep bass, but overall not bad at all. I don't have the CD to compare to but I'm satisfied. I'm keeping it.

Listening on: VPI Scout, Ortofon Blue, Lounge phone pre, McIntosh C712 pre, Crown PS400, JBL 4425

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  19. fpas

I wouldn't recommend getting the original cd then, because you're happy now. And, of course, you want to stay that way. :angel:

Further likes this.
  20. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

If you're satisfied with SYMM be sure to try out the others. IMO, they're all much better. You should be thrilled.

21. Jaco P.

Jaco P. New Member

Last week I got SHMC, Amorica & TSOC reissues and I find them absolutely stunning releases.
    Although I would rate them in order TSOC > Amorica > SHMC regarding sound quality. TSOC is especially super awesome.

Also have the original SYMM release which imo I do not find that exciting as the new releases. Though would be interesting to compare SYMM reissue with my original one.

I hope they will continue with these reissues. I would love to have By Your Side & Before The Frost/Until the Freeze on vinyl....(...aaaand Warpaint, Croweology, Lions... :D )

22. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Were these pressed at QRP or United?

23. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Kind of surprised that shmc is not thought of as audiophile quality. I think it's one of the most natural and powerful live rock band studio recordings ever. Great tone and ambience. Too bad the reissues are not more consistent in their praise. Shmc through tsoc is a great run, but it looks like I'll pass. The CDs always worked for me and it doesn't sound like the vinyl is revelation for the cost.

24. Bru

Bru Member

Jesus ... I've just finished to read 29 pages of discussion before to decide to order or not Amorica.
    No conclusion at all :)
    I always read the steve hoffman forum before buying a reissue but this 3d is totally inconclusive

25. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

I'll say Three Snakes is fantastic, Amorica pretty good, Southern Harmony OK, SYMM a disaster. Three Snakes really blows me away, lots of new details I'd never picked up before. Other two glad to have on vinyl, but I was not saying "wow" when listening. Debute I really wonder how it went so bad.