Better Call Saul - Season 2 discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stereoptic, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There's a really good article where a psychologist was asked about points on Jimmy and Chuck's relationship:

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a34045/better-call-saul-psychiatrist/

Ha! This is cool!

sound chaser likes this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Looks as if the whole of Season 1 is running on Monday on AMC before the premier.

mpayan likes this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Mild S2 spoiler....

At the end of S1 it looked like Jimmy was ready to go all-out Saul Goodman, Breaking Bad style. It's interesting that the writers had originally planned for that transition to be well in place by the end of S1. However:

"...by the end of that first season, it seemed the last thing any viewer wanted was for Jimmy McGill to become Saul Goodman already, or to have any kind of interaction with Walt, Jesse, or Gus Fring. In the space of 10 episodes, Jimmy had become such a rich and sympathetic character — and Odenkirk's performance such a dramatic revelation from an actor primarily known for comedy — that the inevitable slide towards Saul-dom became something to dread, rather than cheer".

So true, and because of this, the first few eps of S2 appear to do a soft-reset of sorts, delaying Jimmy's descent into Saul in order to explore the ultimate transition (which must occur) in more detail. I'm happy to hear this. Can't wait until is starts!

intv7 likes this.
  4. I wouldn't expect anything less, though, would you? We call it a "soft reset," but really Jimmy made a resolution to himself at the end of Season 1 to stop giving a damn, and at the very least set out on his own.

More times than not, in the natural course of human lives, these sort of resolutions do not happen overnight; they take time to germinate and cultivate until our new mindsets becomes us.

In the case of Jimmy/Saul, the persona of Slippin' Jimmy should quicken this transformation, but personally, I don't think his resolution, alone, is what gives birth to Saul Goodman. One has to ask, during Breaking Bad, where is Kim and Chuck?

Belize?

That is to say: Slippin' Jimmy -> "Small Transformation" -> Jimmy McGill, Esq. -> "Big Transformation" -> Saul Goodman.

In this "Big Transformation" something really bad must happen to produce Saul Goodman. Perhaps something that leaves us all sad. And I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy isn't even Saul until the beginning of Season 3.

Tim S and mpayan like this.
  5. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

If anyone is on the fence about getting the Blu Ray of season 1 I would just like to go on record as highly recommending it. The bonus features are great. Among them is a 30 minute clip of Odenkirk and McKean just sitting and talking about the show with no moderator.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Getting back to Chuck..

Why did Chuck take the time to stay up all night and put the shredded receipts from the assisted living place together?

I cant see it being something Chuck thought was exactly profitable as far as him thinking it was a valid case. I mean thats getting pretty far down into Slippin Jimmy mode if that was the motivation. Desperation.

I think he felt sorry for Jimmy. Wanted to help him out. Maybe not the total motivating factor. But a strange action for someone who thinks his brother isnt much of a lawyer.

Seems to me if Chuck was so against Jimmy being a lawyer then that would have been the perfect time to have covered Jimmy up and tossed the shreds. Instead, he painstakingly sifts through and glues incriminating evidence together?

7. Lonson

I saw it as Chuck getting his juices flowing again, getting interested in finding the key to the case, getting interested in the mechanics of law again and in the process beginning to overcome his "ailment's" limitations. I'm not sure he was really thinking of Jimmy beyond the fact that here was an interesting case that was beyond Jimmy perhaps, in his estimation.

8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Maybe so, but didnt he cover Jimmy up with a blanket? Maybe Im reaching here, but it seems to me he feels he must protect Jimmy. And that being the protective brother falls, ultimately, on his shoulders.

9. Lonson

Sure . . . I don't see that as mutually exclusive in any way. Watching it (twice) it seemed to me that the case itself lured him into working on it and helped him regain some focus and forget a few fears.

mpayan likes this.
  10. It's TONIGHT!

I heard last night that there will be a "Talking Saul" immediately after each episode. I don't know quite what to think about that. I don't really cotton to the celebrity babbling that follows The Walking Dead.

It seems to me that we do a much better job, in here, at dissecting episodes than they do on TV.

Mr. H and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  11. artfromtex

"Talking Saul" will only air twice. Once after tonight's premiere and again following the season finale.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

FWIW, the same host did Talking Bad _ I thought it was great.

13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Re-watching Season One....
    after about a year away from it.... it's still quite entertaining!

14. artfromtex

I just came up with a theory about Chuck. Perhaps his aversion to "Slippin' Jimmy" having a law degree and his self-righteous speech about the sanctity of "the law" has something to do with an as yet undisclosed event in Chuck's past. And perhaps this has something to do with thrusting Jimmy/Saul into the dark side (and a new name).

15. artfromtex

That was great. Loved seeing Jimmy bring Kim in on a con. Just a great, great show.

Great time to be a fan of good television. Breaking Bad fans should be so grateful to get a spin-off like this.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I kept thinking the fancy law office scene at the last was simply a dream. And that when he switched on the switch that he would wake up floating in the pool. Not sure this was a very strong episode. But it was that way at the beginning of the first season also.

Im a bit surprised that Jinny decided to go to the law firm after all. Then again I think its in his blood.

Robert M. likes this.
  17. artfromtex

Is everyone else falling in love with Rhea Seehorn?

The Kim character is great. I feel she will ultimately be the main catylist for Jimmy breaking bad.

Mr. H, JimW and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Not sure of her age, but she looks much younger on the Talking. Saul after show. Her voice kinda has that swallowed lurchy sound to it, but other than that..yes shes attractive in her ways and looks.

artfromtex likes this.
  19. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Looks like Ken doesn't win yet again. ;)

[​IMG]

kouzie, intv7, rburly and 5 others like this.
  20. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I've met her and talked with her. It's weird to have such a deep voice coming out of such a petite & polite package - at first. But she's cool.

21. Grootna

Grootna Senior Member

Good season opener...liked how they went to present day Omaha like they started last year. Not the strongest episode...but interesting set ups for the rest of the season.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I beat you to it! See my comments about her back in season 1. :) She really is a smart, elegantly classy package that wears a pantsuit to perfection. And wait until she sees what Jimmy uses to floss his teeth! :D

Great opening episode with nice symmetry with the S1 opener with the B&W flash-forward scenes. I'm glad that Jimmy will take a while longer to become Saul.

Grootna and artfromtex like this.
  23. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I wonder how long Ken's losing streak lasts...

24. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I thought it was a good start to the season. Jimmy still slippin'. Kim's got a thing for him and I'm sure she'll play a big part in this season.

How many others watch Talking Saul after the show? I thought it was great that Odenkirk and Rhea Seehorn as well as Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould talked about the show and what's happening behind the scenes. We're going to see a lot more of Chuck and I can only how it's all going to play out with Chuck and Jimmy and Kim with the law firm. I think we're in for another great season of the show.

Grootna, Tim S and artfromtex like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.