Avoid genesis ...and then there were three 78 vinyl..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by henry babenko, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident Thread Starter

got 2 sealed off ebay and both are riddled with clicks and loud pops,, quess it had something to do with some way they made cheap vinyl in the 70's..

2. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

You sure these weren't re-seal jobs ? Did you clean them ?

I have had/heard multiple copies of this from the late `70s-early 80`s and they have all been fine (as well as most of Atlantics out put for the period).

3. henry babenko

bill, you know I wondered that. iam sure that happens a lot. re sealed..

4. To be honest 'sealed' means doodly squat to me these days. Air, and thus dust and other contaminants will find their way in over time if the record is poorly stored. And 'sealed' is no guarantee the record wont be warped or the surfaces abraded by the paper sleeves or card they are placed in. If you buy a 200gm vinyl record stuffed into an inner sleeve that is clearly not designed with the record thickness in mind you are often buying instant paper scuffs.

5. henry babenko

correct, I have got many sealed copies off ebay, and they were warped or messed up in some way shape .. ect..

CrazyCatz likes this.
  6. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

totally believe that. i opened a sealed three sides live us atlantic---- i was totally all excited about.............................like garbage is an understatement, zero bass response, pops n clicks...............blue swirl vertigo cd killllllllllls it

7. henry babenko

People are under this illusion that if somethings on vinyl its automatically gonna sound like perfect. not the case..

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I got this album as a promo from Atlantic when it was released and that pressing was fine... Flat and quiet...

Murph likes this.
  9. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I don't think there's a single person on these forums that believes that in any way.

Ed

10. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I have a ATTW3 copy that is really off center on one side (especially bad on this particular album with 25+ min sides) but other than that sounds pretty good.

11. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

US / UK pressing? No pressing info?

This is a bit too vague to be of any help, unless you're advising us to avoid all vinyl from a decade based on two examples.

(I won't even get into the "equipment profile" thing...)

rxcory likes this.
  12. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Same. I have this on my turntable as I type (great winter album!) and it flat and quiet as well

jon9091 and midniteinsanjuan like this.
  13. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

That must sound pretty screwy! First LP I owned of Permanent Waves by Rush was badly off center on side one, I had to buy a new one because the first copy was pretty much unlistenable.

As for ATTW3, no complaints about my original Atlantic LP...and I was a bit leery about buying some of the Genesis albums on vinyl because of their length.

14. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

For ATTWT, I always pull out the V/C unremastered CD from the shelves. No clicks or pops, and much better sound (imo) than
    any vinyl incarnation.

DiabloG and Musicisthebest like this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Is the OP referring to the original or the half speed mastered reissue (using the remix)? The original UK I have (bought in 78) is fine and the new version (from the box set) is flawless. Of course US copies may not be so well pressed. I would be suspicious of any sealed vintage vinyl even if US pressing.

16. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Totally agree. People are morons for paying exuberant prices for sealed records. In fact, they are most likely to be warped. In some cases, they have been kept in that super tight shrinkwrap for decades.

17. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I think all versions of this album sound cruddy, I think it's just a plain bad mix.

The V/C old CD is my go to version, and even that sounds weak and thin.

I've read favourable comments about the original German Vinyl pressing as it has some much needed bottom end that is missing on other versions.

18. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

LOL when I read the thread title I was surprised that the album actually came out in a 78rpm version.

19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

It's not a great sounding record, and the sides are quite long. But it's always been a fave of mine and I promise there are clean vinyl pressings out there. I probably have at least 5 from various countries myself.

hi_watt likes this.
  20. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I thought that! I thought it was some new audiophile thing - I know there are benefits of reissuing an album on 45rpm vinyl but 78 is a bit much!

Lost In The Flood and lightbulb like this.
  21. My dutch pressing sounds great and is dead quiet.

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Let us marvel at the fact that Genesis' breakthrough single was a horribly mastered track at the end of a half-hour album side...

23. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

This is an album that would have definitely benefitted from a DMM cut.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  24. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Follow You Follow Me sounds better on the Japanese two record set, The Story of Genesis, when compared to the UK lp. The UK's run out grove info: Side A-CDS 4010 A//9, Side B-CDS 4010 B//6.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  25. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Sampling the German pressing now... wow, it has room to breathe for the first time but it sounds like the pitch on everything is half a step up - sorta. I'll post the sample in a bit.

hi_watt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.