Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Well, let me correct that as best I can:

Farewell-Tchaikovsy Sym 6 Pathetique- Francesca Da Rimini- Gorenstein- RSO

Scriabin- Sym #2- Gorenstein- Russian Symphony Orchestra

Love For Love- Schnittke- Gogol Suite- Khrennikov- Gorenstein RSO
    Tikhon Khrennikov- Love For Love

Gene Pope loved to go to Russia and record classical music, here are three good examples. Hope that is enough info for you. :wave:

2. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

This inspired me to listen to the recording of Beethoven's Concerto No. 5 for Piano and Orchestra, "Emperor," with Martinon leading the Chicago Symphony and Emil Gilels playing, in a live recording on the CSO's "From the Archives" series.

Daedalus, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I posted this in the Classical Mega Box thread, but thought I'd get more response here.

I'm considering getting the Radu Lupu Decca box Complete Recordings, but one of the problems is that I already have his Complete Decca Solo Recordings box that came out in 2010 (I thought it was more recent) and that one is completely duplicated in the newer box. I hate it when record companies do things like that; Decca pulled the same trick with Sviatoslav Richter's solo and complete boxes some time ago, although the Richter solo box turned out to be not complete, which was corrected in the newer box.

Any opinions on the Complete Lupu Decca box, in particular the chamber and concerto recordings? I'd appreciate it :)

4. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Here's a link, for those interested: POPE MUSIC at Music Direct »

I don't know the conductor or the orchestra particularly well. Is it possible that the RSO is a recording name for the State Academic Symphony Orchestra of the Russian Federation?

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

Not really your man for Lupu--I've never quite forgiven him for that over-hyped Schubert fantasia with Perahia--but here's a thought: might it be more economical to buy just the chamber/concerto recordings that you really want individually to supplement what you already have? I know it cuts against the grain of the collector in all of us, but there's really no objective reason to insist on "complete" if it simply means buying music that you'll never enjoy playing. (In other words, if you just don't like, say, Benjamin Britten, what's the point in buying his music just for the sake of having an artist "complete"? And, yes, I'm guilty of frequently ignoring my own advice--hence the extent of my Wagner and Liszt holdings, among others... :rolleyes:)

6. drh

drh Talking Machine

Hey, thanks for the tip, and for the clarification!

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks for the advice and I was considering that, especially since I don't like the multi-piano works (3 discs) and the Schubert Lieder (2 discs) - I agree with what you said about the Schubert with Perahia; I'm not a fan of one of the conductors in the concertos either. That said, I'm not sure the chamber works are easy to find and for a reasonable price, but I haven't looked into that yet.

8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

A second spin to refresh my memory today with regard to this pianist. Transfers by Ward Marston. Gregor Benko's notes reveal that Ervin studied with two students of Liszt.

bluemooze and Robin L like this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Mussorgsky - Pictures At An Exhibition/A Night On Bald Mountain/And Other Russian Showpieces" performed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra led by Fritz Reiner on RCA.

Includes:
    Tchaikovsky - Marche miniature/Marche slave
    Borodin - Prince Igor: Polovtsian March
    Kabelevsky - Colos Breugnon, Op. 24: Overture
    Glinka - Russian and Ludmilla: Overture

[​IMG]

Mik, Daedalus, John S and 5 others like this.
  10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Forgot to ask: how are Lupu's Mozart Violin Sonatas and the Schubert works for violin and piano with Szymon Goldberg? I'm not familiar with Goldberg.

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

Goldberg goes back quite a ways; he and Lili Kraus formed a celebrated partnership before WW II and recorded a good bit of Mozart, Haydn, and Beethoven. Don't know his work after that, but on that basis I'd say he was a fine player with more "refinement" but less force than Adolf Busch.

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks. I knew he had recorded with Lili Kraus, but never heard any of it.

13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Schubert - Quintette A Deux Violoncelles" performed by Anne Gastinel and Quatuor Diotima on Naïve.

[​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have heard of anne gastinel ... :agree:

bluemooze likes this.
  15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Faure - Pelleas et Melisande/Pavane Op. 50/Fantasie pour flute Op. 112/Masques et Bergamasques" performed by ASMF led by Neville Marriner on Argo.

[​IMG]

Daedalus, Mik, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  16. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

I have that Heldenleben LP…fantastic stuff, right up there with their Symphonia Domestica in my opinion.

17. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

I have that LP…wonderful sound and exquisite playing by the CSO.

18. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

In honor of Schubert's birthday today, and the discussion of Klemperer a couple of days ago, listening to Schubert Symphony No. 5 in Bb major, Philharmonia/Klemperer from this set of educational LPs pressed by Angel. I picked up two or three more of these Time Life sets from my school library when they were putting their LPs out to pasture in favor of CDs, lucky for me they contain a boatload of Klemperer recordings! The pressing quality is unexpectedly good, and Klemperer's approaches it in a similar manner as he did to many a Mozart symphony, in my opinion…not too much sentimentality but there is authentic emotion and expression, attention for clarity of ensemble and texture, and a sense of ever unfolding melody.
    [​IMG]

19. coopmv

Now playing CD6 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

20. coopmv

Now playing CD5 - Mozart Horn Concertos 1 - 4 with Dennis Brain from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Daedalus, Mik, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  21. drh

drh Talking Machine

Some years ago, as I drove to work, I spied several boxes sitting by the roadside. It was garbage collection day in the neighborhood; next door, a couple were sitting on the porch. You can imagine their surprise when this guy in a suit slammed his car to a stop, jumped out, and quickly tossed their neighbor's trash into the trunk!

You see, the boxes were full of LPs....

Among them were a number of Time-Life sets. They are not exactly hotly sought among collectors, of course, but I must say they contained a lot of really good reissues, and the pressing quality, as you observed, was not half bad. That was a good day.

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think I found a nice solution: Decca also released a Radu Lupu Complete Concerto Recordings which includes many of the chamber works but not the multi-piano and vocal stuff. The Mozart Violin Sonatas with Szymon Goldberg are also missing but those are available in a separate set, should I decide to get them after all - not really fan of Goldberg, having heard some stuff with Lili Kraus in the meantime.

23. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Pulled this off the shelf today and thought of you, George. This is probably how you picture a harpsichord when you hear one! ;)

[​IMG]

bluemooze, George P and ToddBD like this.
  24. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Goldberg was a superb musician but by the time he recorded with Lupu he was past his best days as a player.

J.A.W. likes this.
  25. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Beethoven collection for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.