We are entering a golden age if 2015-2016 is any indication

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Dunno. Ask Nick Drake and Big Star.

JL6161 and Gaslight like this.
  2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I think both of them would have been quite happy with being popular at the time.

Gaslight likes this.
  3. Danby Delight

Undoubtedly, and yet they're thought of more highly than many of their popular contemporaries.

4. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Or The Velvet Underground.

Gaslight likes this.
  5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Hey, I learnt something today. Thanks!

Now I'm off to edit the incorrect Wikipedia page...

6. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

Without searching here to find what may be a "new experience" for you, I'll point to a post I made earlier about a couple of my favorites from last year in The Revolutionary Army of Jesus Beauty Will Save the World, and Anna von Hausswolff The Miraculous, neither really like anything else I've heard recently, though I won't say either would be inconceivable in earlier times, they both are evolutionary, as is just about all music, not sure I would even know how to recognize the inconceivable ... We are entering a golden age if 2015-2016 is any indication »

I'd especially recommend a listen or two to that first one, beauty may not save the world but it does perfectly describe this record, nice review at ... Incandescent Soul - "beauty will save the world" by Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus - Stereo Embers Magazine »

And maybe keep your ears open for the new one from Suuns called Hold/Still. Not out for a couple months yet, but the leak is, and it sounds pretty special to me, more of an electro-industrial sound, but very inventive, kind of like mixing Braniac with NIN ... Suuns - Hold/Still :: Secretly Canadian »

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    strummer101 likes this.
  7. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Thank you. I'll check them out.

8. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Who?

NoTime806 likes this.
  9. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Same with the old time miners, but I think it was bad whisky.

They thought they saw gold but much of it turned out to be

PYRITE !

Today, we're experiencing a Pyrite Age, and I thought Rock was going out of style. Hmmmmm.....

[​IMG]

Imagine70 likes this.
  10. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Cool. That frees up my Monday night.

11. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I'm not sure what this means, but I'm pleased that I was helpful.

12. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

I get that there's good music out there.

With the technology available (in and out of the spare room at home), multiple producers and post-production software I'm certain there's more perfectly pleasant music available to more people than ever before. Ever. But the thread suggested we were entering a golden age of music if last year and the first month of this year was any indication. And that's a tall order.

Members can list their favorites from now until next week but it's gonna take a while to see how the
    2015-16 crop stands the test of time.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  13. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

I think maybe some of you take these type of topics a bit too literally, and maybe too seriously as well.

strummer101 likes this.
  14. Kakkai-Kuainen

Kakkai-Kuainen Forum Resident

Maybe there is no such thing as a "musical golden age".

Grant and Stone Turntable like this.
  15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You know when people give that lame excuse for not checking out or feeling an attachment to current stuff by saying, "There's still so much older music I'm still discovering." or, "If I'm hearing it for the first time now then it's new to me."? Well, they CAN hear all of this now instead of waiting 20-30 years.

strummer101 likes this.
  16. Schoolmaster Bones

I sure hope nobody here mistakenly enjoys music that turns out not standing The Test Of Time.

That would be so incorrect.

redflag, strummer101 and Gaslight like this.
  17. Danby Delight

Says everything I need to know.

18. Danby Delight

Thanks for the insight, Mr. Hagar. One quick question: why do I care in 2016 what music stands the test of time, and who gets to decide whether it does it not?

19. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

For the first time in a few years I'm getting excited about new rock again. There have been some killer albums released in the past year or so - Tame Impala, Courtney Barnett, Sunflower Bean, Dead Weather, Clutch, Baroness, High on Fire, Sleater-Kinney, Kylesa... it's a good time to be a rock fan.

strummer101 likes this.
  20. Add the aforementioned Courtney Barnnett to your list. Along with First Aid Kit, Sofia Karlsson, Cate Le Bon, Warpaint, The Shook Twins, Sharon Van Etten, & The Henry Girls. (Boys are soooo 20th Century)
    The old guard is doing well too: Altan, Clannad, The Monkees (I'm assuming), Neko Case, Drive-By Truckers & Sleater-Kinney.

21. But twenty dollars alone in fees for her ticket smarts. Effin' Ticketmaster.:tsk:

22. NoTime806

NoTime806 Forum Resident

Says everything I need to know.

23. Schoolmaster Bones

True story: I avoided The Beatles throughout the '60s and '70s, as I wanted to make sure that they would continue to be well known 20-30 years later.

24. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Well true. But most of the Nirvana fans are dads of teens. I'm talking those who are fully in their 20s and adult and STILL rejecting The Beatles and co. as "old people music". Those are the ones I see all over message boards, well into their 20s and yet freak out at The Beatles and co. because music from the 60s is too old. 90's dad fans aren't yet seeing their kids into adulthood just quite yet, their kids are still adolescents and teens.

troggy likes this.
  25. NoTime806

NoTime806 Forum Resident

C'mon now, nobody takes those people seriously. Most of the time they're ridiculed and seen as uncultured etc etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.