Paul Mccartney album 'Mccartney' from 1970

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mister President, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And then "Bip Bop" appeared ... ;)

theMess likes this.
  2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I fully agree; can you imagine a 1970/71 album with songs like Maybe I'm Amazed, Instant Karma, It Don't Come Easy, What Is Life, The Back Seat Of My Car, All Things Must Pass, Jealous Guy, Photograph, Oh My Love, etc, all recorded as a group and produced by George Martin? Songs like 'Another Day', 'Don't Let Me Wait Too Long' and 'How?', would arguably all be even more wonderful had they been produced like the 'Abbey Road' album, and with Beatles harmonies.

Skywheel likes this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

When you list all those it could have been their best album. I wouldn't have wanted them to carry on longer and become too polished slick blandness though!

Sorry to say, I don't know why, but I like Bip Bop! Actually I do know why, it just makes me smile...

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  4. slane

slane Forum Resident

Their best ever material (and most personal), IMO - or at least it's the material I keep coming back to more and more lately.

In a way, I'm glad they didn't record those songs as a band. I like them just the way they are and I wouldn't want any input from the others or George Martin to change what they did ;). They had to split, but it was all for the best, IMO... for a while...

Their whole 1968-71 solo catalogue is kind of like one giant 'White Album' that hasn't been sequenced or edited. Lots of good stuff though to make your own playlists.

5. Arnold Grove

Oh, I'm a fan of "Bip Bop" too. It wasn't intended to be anything than what it is: a fun little ditty that Paul's kids liked and which was a grooving blast of musical nonsense for a concert audience.

But it does make a good punch-line for adding a bit of humor here. ;)

theMess likes this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Good thought!

slane and Man at C&A like this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You still made me laugh!

Poor ''Bip Bop', always getting picked on!

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

As soon as I saw your post I put Wild Life on. Absolutely love their version of Love Is Strange. I always see this LP as similar to 'McCartney'. The only 2 Macca albums where he sounds like he's not thinking in terms of hits or pleasing the masses.

blutiga, ParloFax and slane like this.
  9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s weird-but maybe it s because he created a true masterpiece around the same time-Mary had a little lamb:)

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Their whole 1968-71 solo catalogue is kind of like one giant 'White Album' that hasn't been sequenced or edited. Lots of good stuff though to make your own playlists.[/QUOTE]

The more I think about this the more I think it's a good idea. I sense another Beatles thread. I love a good Beatles thread!

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Oh yeah, forgot about that! I'm less fond of that one!

12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Nooooo-it s one of the true masterpieces of modern music .

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I suppose it has a certain... er... charm?! The fans must have been so confused by Maccas records at that time!

14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

We certanely were

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I wasn't born till 1974 so I missed all that...

16. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Nicely said! It's Paul, just doing what he wants.
    This album just grows on you, doesn't it?

theMess and bluejeanbaby like this.
  17. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It was very exiting times for music. But it s exiting right now as well. Lot s of great new music now and some of my old favourites like Macca, Dylan and Cohen still deliver.

18. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Just recently decided to give "That Would Be Something" a spin. When I first bought this LP (probably in '78 or '79), I never rated this track, thought it was a throwaway. But, with a few more decades of experience, it strikes me as a charming little tune, a bit like an old blues tune. Not exactly a killer vocal (by Macca standards of that era), but I'm glad I took the time to revisit it.

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I picked up this album cheap around the time the Beatles Anthology VHS was released, not expecting much from it and liked it from 1st play. I really like the 'home made' feel of this album. The mid 90's was a great time for Beatles fans. I liked Flaming Pie a lot too.

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's nice to be reminded of that after the recent deaths of Bowie, Lemmy and John Bradbury of The Specials. Three of my favourites gone in a month.

theMess likes this.
  21. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Gee, I recently had a chance to pick up a copy of the DCC gold CD of McCartney at Amoeba in Hollywood, but I put it back in the bin. It was expensive, and, except for one or two songs, I didn't know any of the material. Did I screw up?

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's a very happy and enjoyable album but I wouldn't say it's a serious hi-fi recording. I've never heard it outside of the original UK vinyl and can't imagine it digitally. I don't consider myself an audiophile though. I like good sound but my equipment is all pretty mid-range. It is vintage 70's gear though.

23. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Possibly, but this is really the sound of a musical genius, crushed by the loss of his band and experiencing a quasi-nervous breakdown. It's not a masterpiece, but a low-key collection of one-man-band tunes cut at home. A bunch of instrumentals fill much of the LP, and even the real gems ("Maybe I'm Amazed," "Junk," "Every Night," etc) suffer a little from the feeling that Paul didn't have it in him to give 100% at that point in time. So it might come of as a half-baked set. If you approach it as more or less a collection of home demos and assorted noodlings, you're more likely to dig it.

24. I believe it was one of George Harrison's favorite tracks off the album. It's one of mine anyway. Does a great Elvis!

Wings (or one of the post-Wings Macca bands?) put it in their unplugged set at one point, but I didn't like their feel or swing too much.

25. Don't forget Junk during the Kinfauns demos.

theMess and DrBeatle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.