Paul Weller and his refusal to play with The Jam

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by landerstnkb, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

You sound like the opposite. And there are other, even less flattering descriptions of your stunningly misguided post. Paul Weller, if he read what you wrote, would probably have some choice words for you and your sense of entitlement.

The Jam is over. I suggest you get over it.

2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

The only reunion I could envision (possibly) would be for a charity/disaster fundraiser....

3. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

Hundreds of thousands do, apparently. -E

violao and landerstnkb like this.
  4. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

I agree with the post that said The Jam is the first era of Paul Weller's long and evolving career.

I heard that Rick Buckler didn't like Paul's new musical direction in the interim period between The Jam and Style Council and Paul resented him after that. Even if there wasn't bad blood between them, Paul has always been forward thinking and still would reject the idea of a nostalgia driven oldies tour.

I just wish he would get more recognition/success in the US.

violao likes this.
  5. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ha ha ha ha:biglaugh:whatever. I guess it's wrong to start a discussion on something I've thought about in the past. I will remain a fan of Weller's whether he does or doesn't play with his old band mates again. Sorry if I hit a nerve questioning his refusal to do so.

GroovySoundz likes this.
  6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Whatever.

7. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

Not quite 60 yet

violao likes this.
  8. Turntable Fan

Turntable Fan Forum Resident

Nothing more to add. That's why some band are legendary. They have been great in the past, split due to various reasons but will not reunite.

All remains are memories. Great memories. Not some 55+ year old guys act like early twens.

9. sfligio

sfligio Forum Resident

Wich songs from the Style Council era is playing in his concerts?

10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I've heard "Headstart for Happiness," "Ever Changing Moods" and "Long Hot Summer". As with the Jam, it's strictly the more obvious choices.

violao and Koabac like this.
  11. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Something was niggling me about this, so I looked up the dates, and yep, Paul Weller's comeback happened years before Oasis released their first single. He had a minor hit with 'Into Tomorrow' in 1991, more substantial hits with his two follow up singles in '92, and was back in the top ten with his first solo album that same year. Wild Wood made it to number two in 1993, the same year its two singles made the top twenty. Oasis didn't release anything until 1994.

Merrick, e.s., factory44 and 4 others like this.
  12. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

I thought The Jam were by far the most important UK band of the late 70's.

Paul Weller disappointed me greatly by breaking them up and with what he has done since..... BUT if he doesn't want to keep doing something, it's entirely his decision. We all have the right to change our jobs.

The other two sued Weller after the alp lit and his attitude to Bruce Foxton softened when Bruce lost his wife. They have recorded together and Bruce has guested on stage. I think that's as far as it will go.

He apparently still hates Rick Buckler with a passion. Who can tell him to work with two guys who he doesn't want to work with?

I imagine the pressure that went with being the main songwriter for them was a massive issue, as would the inevitable expectations if the three of them did anything together.

Paul Weller is not the same guy he was, neither are we. If I get nostalgic for The Jam I have the music and DVD's.

violao and OobuJoobu like this.
  13. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

As to what the bassist and drummer contributed to Weller's songs, listen to his appalling demo's on Extras and then listen to what the dynamics became with Bruce and Rick's input.

He has not had those dynamics since in his music IMHO. I think he needed Bruce to excel on record.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My gut says that if Strummer hadn't died, there would've been a Clash reunion. My gut might be wrong - we'll never know - but I just have the feeling one would've happened eventually...

violao and wavethatflag like this.
  15. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Mick did play with him at the Firemans benefit in Acton a few weeks before Joe passed but I'm not sure a full reunion of the band would ever had taken place.

16. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

To me, Paul Weller makes much better music in this century than he did in the last.

rocknsoul74 likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My gut says it would! Don't argue with my gut! :D

I think it would've happened at the Rock Hall ceremony, if not sooner...

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Good post, says it all.

I think there were so many Jam fans still in the early 90's that as soon as Weller picked up a guitar again, and played guitar based music, he was guaranteed success.

And I was always quite embarrased that a talent like Weller got linked to those lumpen dad rock bands like Ocean Colour Scene and Oasis who are not in the same league.

19. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

Think back to the Snap! compilation. How many artists would include a demo of "That's Enterainment" instead of the studio version, on a greatest hits record? Answer: A capital-A artist, such as Paul Weller.

And after listening to both versions of the track for a few decades, I believe the man was right! He has his convictions and he knows his work. More power to him!

violao, Gavinyl and quakerparrot67 like this.
  20. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

he has absolutely no reason to do it. he will never play a set with full jam songs in it. he has always criticized townshend to still play "my generation" at 30. You really imagine him playing in the city at 57? glad i have seen them . it's a great memory but he is really linked in the present. He is not a nostalgia man. We could really thank and praise him for that.

Gavinyl likes this.
  21. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I like The Jam but prefer Weller's solo career.

If he did reunite The Jam, can you imagine the comments he'd get from this very forum?
    "Hypocrite!" "Money grabber!" and so on......

wavethatflag likes this.
  22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Uh...

veloso2, kwadguy, Oatsdad and 2 others like this.
  23. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

What he said mate !

24. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident Thread Starter

When asked about being nostalgic and his work, the Modfather said: "I’m not a very nostalgic person in general, to be honest with you. I don’t go back; I go forward. There is so much music in me, and I want to express that, you know?" and added on former bandmates Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler touring as From the Jam "I don’t really care much. Good luck to them, really. It doesn’t bother me, but it’s not really my cup of tea."

I guess you have to respect him for his views and be thankful he plays any Jam or Style Council songs at all.

Gavinyl likes this.
  25. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

My first ever gig was the jam and it was brilliant, set me off on the road to loving the live music experience that has lasted to this day but I would say I'm glad he has always said no, wouldn't be the same, seen him solo which was great, have no interest in seeing the who or the stones now either although I love there music

veloso2, Gavinyl and landerstnkb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.