Gem Dandy compared to vacuum record cleaning machines?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluenexus, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluenexus

bluenexus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone here used both the Gem Dandy record cleaner and one of the more expensive vacuum-style record cleaning machines (Okki nokki, VPI, etc)?
    I've got the Dandy and I've been using the Disc Doctor fluid and brushes with it. It's a somewhat messy procedure whose results range from quite good to occasionally excellent, but I'm wondering if a "proper" RCM would do a better job all round?
    I've only ever used the Dandy so I have no basis for comparison. It's quite a price jump from the Dandy to an Okki Nokki. Is it worth it?

Cheers!

2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I went from a SpinClean to an Okki Nokii, and there is no contest. The Okki Nokki is so much superior. I had problems with the SpeinClean leaving residue on my records. I use the Audio Intelligent solutions with my Okki Nokki and they work great. I have 2200+ LPs so the expense was more than worth it. The results are excellent.

3. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I can't tell you about the Okki Nokki, but I have compared a Nitty Gritty with the Gem Dandy and there's no comparison: the Gem Dandy cleans records so much better than the Nitty Gritty I won't bother using the Nitty Gritty again. Actually, I doubt very much that any vacuum record cleaner can even come close to the Gem Dandy: that very fine, high pressure jet of water is going to deep clean a record in a way that no vacuum can approach.

I do find downsides to the Gem Dandy: it's messy, not as convenient as the Nitty Gritty and I do find I often get the album labels a bit wet. But if you've got a really dirty record, it works like a champ.

4. bluenexus

bluenexus Forum Resident Thread Starter

This does seem the case to me as well. In the last few weeks I've been frustrated with a run of records which I can't get quiet, even with multiple passes. I started wondering if I shouldn't upgrade to something more expensive, but I'm relatively new to vinyl and I suspect that the noise on these records is not caused by dirt or other contaminants but by pressing problems, or actual groove damage done by previous owners. I think the Dandy is probably cleaning them as well as anything else would.
    Even when it doesn't remove the surface noise it always seems to unmask the sound, sometimes dramatically.

5. sreg0r

sreg0r Well-Known Member

If you want your record really, really clean then you can't go past the wood glue method. If it's still noisy after that then it's not a dirty record but a damaged one.

With a manual cleaning method like the Dandy you're more relying on water pressure to get the crap off. On a vacuum based machine you are letting your cleaning fluid get into the grooves and do its thing, so you are more reliant on the quality of your cleaning fluids.

Certainly there is nothing wrong with a manual cleaning routine, but you can't beat the speed and ease of a vaccum based machine.

Ric-Tic likes this.
  6. cara

cara Member

A very fine high pressure jet of fluid is the ideal LP cleaner, but tap water contains too many disolved chemicals and impurties to be used on an LP. Now if the Gem Dandy could be modified to use triple distilled water, I imagine it would beat all contenders.

7. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Actually, with the Dandy you are doing both: you are using a cleaning fluid to get into the grooves, then removing that (and any grime) with a high pressure jet of water. It's not nearly as convenient as a vacuum RCM, but after using both I find the Dandy does a much better job than the Nitty Gritty and I have a hard time imagining that any vacuum system can clean as well.

Also, there's nothing to prevent you from using any cleaning fluid with the Dandy. But the fluid supplied seems to work very well.

8. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Unfortunately, some records are simply noisy, and cleaning them won't change that. I almost always find that cleaning helps, but I have some records that are either damaged or were noisy upon pressing and there isn't anything that will make that go away.

Aftermath likes this.
  9. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I just met a guy last weekend who took the GEM Dandy concept and combined it with the Spin Clean concept, using a power-drill-driven variable speed rotation scheme (on a spindle) and extra PVC tubing which can be lowered into a plastic tub, where the runoff water flows out into a laundry tub and down the drain. He created a terrific homemade record cleaner this way that I'm convinced cleans better than the popular commercial machines available. He demonstrated it for me and now I'd really like to get the details of construction so I can make one, too. It works better than the VPI 16.5 machines we both have. He worked up a way to protect the labels with a clamp and laminated coasters to cover the labels and seal out the water. It wasn't an absolutely perfect seal, but a quick cloth wipe after the whole process was through took care of it and prevented any possible affect on the labels. By the way, he uses a final distilled water rinse after the tap water to flush any impurities at the end. Then he spind the record while wiping of all the water with a lint-free cloth as a final step, then hangs the discs up on spindles to air dry for a bit.

10. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Very cool - that sounds like the ultimate record cleaner!

With the Dandy I haven't actually had any label damage, but a bit of water always seems to sneak through the seal. As you say, a little wipe afterwards and it's not a problem, but I could see someone with really valuable records not liking that aspect.

11. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Soundqman, let us know what you find out...sounds like a nifty simple cleaner. I made up a version of the GEM Dandy, but a refinement of the process is a nice idea. :righton:

12. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

I use both - The Gem Dandy and the new VPI 16.5. Currently the VPI is certainly the "go-to" in all situations. But - if I heard anything nasty following my standard VPI session - I will take the LP into the Dandy and really pound it into submission.

After a serious soak in that cancer-inducing liquid that is shipped with the Dandy, a super high pressure Dandy rinse cycle followed by another quick rinse/vacuum on the VPI - if I still hear crap on the LP...nothing can save it. Just a bad or damaged pressing.

VP

13. Doctorcilantro

Doctorcilantro Forum Resident

Great thread.

I have owned a Nitty Gritty and it was ok. Got out of vinyl for a bit and started looking at Okki. But I was just told but 2 different trusted dealers that these machine are not what they used to be, stay away.

The Gem Dandy strikes me as a very useful method and the ship weight, no need for power, makes it more attractive to me.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  14. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

From years of experimenting I truly believe that without the
    vacuuming it's not really being cleaned properly, sucking out
    the crud in the grooves is the magic of record cleaning.

Ortofun likes this.
  15. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I use my Gem Dandy first, then use the Nitty Gritty to suck out the moisture. But without doing the Nitty Gritty to suck, I hear little difference. The Gem Dandy is a bare bones thing. And you get wet doing it. But man, the gunk is blasted out of there. Try one before you diss it.

Doctorcilantro likes this.
  16. CBS CLASH 3

CBS CLASH 3 Forum Resident

I love the GEM Dandy and use it religiously. I am getting tired of spending $20 on the cleaning solution every couple of months, however. Does anyone have any suggestions for concocting a relatively simple equivalent?

17. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Try the "Down with Dirty" solution from Audio Intelligent. It lasts a long time.

CBS CLASH 3 likes this.
  18. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Very interested in getting one of these. Many posters, here and elsewhere, have indicated the Gem Dandy is better at salvaging junky thrift records (80 percent of my collection) than the Okkis/Nittys/VPIs of the world. But, I've also heard similarly glowing endorsements for the wood glue method. So my question is: Can anyone who has used both the wood glue method and the Dandy vouch for which does a better job? If I could get the same result out of $25 (junk TT and bottle of wood glue) I'd certainly prefer that to a cool $200 for the Dandy plus a decent water filter. Thanks in advance!

19. mace

mace Forum Resident

Have used the wood glue and GEM Dandy, couldn't really tell the difference. Also built a DIY vacuum to use in conjunction with the Dandy. If you are worried about your areas tap water, Culligan makes a shower head filter, and with a little fabrication, you can stack them for better filtration. About 20.00 at Amazon. Plus cleaning in the shower reduces the external mess.

20. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up! So, in your opinion would it be a good money-saving tactic to just use the wood glue method in lieu of purchasing the Dandy for my moldy oldies? Keep in mind I am garbage at building stuff so DIY'ing a cheap clone is out of the question.

21. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I went from home-made Gem-like unit to SpinClean to a Record Doctor.
    Every one was an improvement of the previous for me, and I cannot justify going to another pricier RCM.

Unlike some here, my listening room is not up to spec with a manufacturing cleanroom, so getting overly fastidious about how many times my water rinse is distilled and such, when I am going to walk across the room with my clean LP to the turntable, fully exposing it to good old air which is known to have particulates in it, well, I find a point of diminishing returns pretty quickly.

I have to say I am intrigued too by the Home ยป unit.

22. mace

mace Forum Resident

Depends on how much spare time you have for cleaning. The wood glue method can be time consuming plus can get expensive if you have a lot of albums to clean. After the bottle of cleaner that came with the dandy was gone, I just went with a home brew.

23. CBS CLASH 3

What is your home brew, if you don't mind sharing trade secrets? That GEM fluid is pricey.

24. mace

mace Forum Resident

3/1 ratio
    3 parts distilled water
    1 part 91% Isopropyl alcohol and 2-3 drops Photoflo as a surfactant.

CBS CLASH 3 likes this.
  25. CBS CLASH 3

Sounds easy enough. I'll try it. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.