Frank Sinatra recording at the Capitol Tower. Is this how he really did it? Great pics!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Musicians that my friend Chuck Granata interviewed and got to know who played with Frank spoke very well of him. Sorry your Dad had such an experience. From session material I've heard, Frank seemed by and large very "professional", in a good way.

My impression, obviously from an outsider, is Frank was guarded with most people until he got to know them. My *guess* is this was at least partially due to his "down" years, and feeling betrayed from people he thought were friends, along with people slandering him in the press, etc., then and before. After that, he was more careful/cautious. Loyalty was very important to him.

2. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

The first ones that came to mind were the Nelson Riddle albums. I'd have to check again to see if Errol Garner's "New World Concert" was before the sale to WB, although I'd suspect it's after. Those are amongst the best sounding records in my collection.

3. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

And as Frank Junior says on "As I Remember It" what impressed him the most was the fun they all had, technicians, executives, musicians and Frank Sinatra.

Bob Belvedere and MMM like this.
  4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I have said this before and it is worth repeating. All one has to do is listen to the session tapes we have from the Capitol and early Reprise years. If he gets upset with anyone in the studio it is he himself on occasions when his voice is not up to par or if he keeps blowing lyrics. He may have been a little leery of Glen Campbell at first meeting (that's a whole 'nother story!!!!) but that all got sorted out very quickly and they became golfing buddies.

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Bob Belvedere and Ted Pastuszak like this.
  6. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Didn't Emil Richards say that there came a point (I cannot remember when, but I'm sure it was later in Sinatra's career and well after Jack Dumont would've played with him) when Frank became less chummy with the band than he had been in earlier years?

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can't help with finding a genuine color version, but I believe the photo was taken at the same session which produced the color album cover:

[​IMG]

As discussed in the album thread —> Sinatra / Capitol Sound & Photo Quality: "Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!!" - 1961, this was probably the Capitol Tower session of August 23, 1960.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't remember, Jordan. I may be able to find out...

9. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Is it just me, or do the vast majority of Sinatra-Capitol photographs -- any photographs -- come from recording sessions? Obviously there are a few examples of photo sessions that weren't recording sessions (SWING EASY, e.g.), but it seems for the most part that if Capitol wanted to get a picture a Frank the only place they were likely to get it was on a recording date? Am I way off here?

Just to use Nat Cole as an example, Capitol took all kinds of photographs of him away from the recording studio.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Never thought about it. Basically when I think of pictures of Frank and Capitol, I want to see him working on a session in them. I wish there was movie footage in each of the different Capitol studios (along with all the other studios he worked in)...

11. Ted Pastuszak

Ted Pastuszak Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Bob F, post: 12610613, member: 7
    As discussed in the album thread —> Sinatra / Capitol Sound & Photo Quality: "Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!!" - 1961, this was probably the Capitol Tower session of August 23, 1960.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, guys. When I first saw that large format Steve Kaufman print onthat gallery wall, my first thoughts were how often I've seen the original photo. But when I got back home, I realized just how elusive it was (again, to me). It just seemed like an image I was familiar with, but it probably took hours to track my one copy back to the Concepts booklet.

Presumably, it captures Frank intently listening to a playback, but I could be wrong.

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

As we know, Frank was not a fan of photographers and/or reporters. It may be that the recording studio was the only place where Capitol had enough control to get him to stand still for pictures.

13. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

Maybe he recorded those 'suicide songs' like that, they sure sound lonely to me. :cry:

14. Ted Pastuszak

Ted Pastuszak Forum Resident

This is probably image that I was thinking about when I saw that Steve Kaufman print, since it's similar, but from a different time and far more widely known:

http://aarp.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Frank-Sinatra-color-©-Capitol-Photo-Archives.jpg

Thanks again, Bob, for that pre-Kaufmanesque photo. It's really an interesting image, in my opinion.

Bob F likes this.
  15. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

16. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Birthday bump

TeacFan likes this.
  17. sunrayjack

sunrayjack Forum Resident

funny, the sign in the back ground says "no smoking".
    I remember, nowhere was off limits to smoking back then.
    Why do you think this was a no smoking spot?

18. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

Good question. The type of flooring? I initially thought maybe if there was cloth sound baffling at waist height, someone could walk by and their smoke accidentally come in contact with it.

19. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Other than standing in EMI #2 while tracking Please Please Me, I can't imagine a more musically exciting tracking session than Frank with a big old band back in the day.

DmitriKaramazov and Benno123 like this.
  20. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Although it's not Capitol, you should check out some of those videos uploaded to YouTube in which Mr. Sinatra is recording "It Was a Very Good Year" with Gordon Jenkins conducting. I believe they were taped as part of "The Man and his Music" enterprise when Mr. S. was about to turn 50, and they're a short but incredible insight into one of his studio sessions. My wife usually isn't terribly involved in any of my cultural pursuits, but she liked these ones, saying "he's got a good voice" and "I like his facial expressions." Good song, too.

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The 1965 Reprise session at United Recording was filmed by CBS News for their TV documentary, Sinatra: An American Original, hosted by Walter Cronkite. The program was released recently on a bonus DVD in the All or Nothing at All box set.

—> Long-awaited Frank Sinatra documentary to air on HBO, April 5–6, 2015 (Updates: dvd/blu-ray)

[​IMG]

22. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Thanks @Bob F! I stand corrected but always appreciate the chance to learn as we explore Mr. S's career(s).

I have noticed that in the FS and NKC threads there is absolutely no nastiness but a genuine passion for learning about the art and the artists.

Unless you like the Duophonic version of a record best, of course. Then you're DEAD to us!!

DmitriKaramazov, jtaylor and Bob F like this.
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

HAPPY 60TH BIRTHDAY, CAPITOL TOWER!!!! :pineapple:

vinyl13, MMM and MLutthans like this.
  25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

To hide his balding scalp primarily. Also, hats were very much still "in" until the early 60's. He defined "style".

MMM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.