The dismal ‘evolution’ of country is forcing fans to look outside Nashville

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Well, never mind 2030. Right now you are a "real country" person if you own a pickup truck (preferably huge in size), drink a lot of beer, and own cowboy boots--even if you live in a middle class or upper middle class suburban neighborhood, and have never stepped foot on a farm.

2. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Another big thank you for pointing out Dori Freeman .. just checked out the samples on Amazon and the album went straight on my Wishlist, for future purchase. Not gonna take long I think.

Blaine Jacobs and Kkfan like this.
  3. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

I think I actually qualify as country even though I don't own a pickup (they aren't hugely popular in Ireland, wear plaid shirts or own cowboy boots/a hat.

I'm from outside a small village in western Northern Ireland and practically lived on my granda's farm as a child. Many happy days were spent playing in the fields (summer) or in the hay shed (winter) with my cousins (of which there are many). Country folk are called 'culchie' here and I am 100% pure culchie :righton:

Country music is probably the most popular genre here (along with Irish trad).

starduster likes this.
  4. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Oh, you are too authentically country to qualify for the current American pop-country scene!

starduster likes this.
  5. FlatulentDonkey

I shall wear that badge with pride.

The town I'm from is a lot like Daryle Singletary's Sunday Morning Kind Of Town. Salt of the earth people just trying to make a living and get to heaven. It's taken quite a hit in recent years economically, just like many US small towns I guess.

Mr Bass and Hot Ptah like this.
  6. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

But he's already been left behind by the industry/machine. Haven't heard not ONE of his songs on 'new country' in........years?
    I can't even remember it must be over 10 years maybe.
    Kicked to the curb.
    the beave

7. The Beave

This isn't Jake, this is the singer from Maroon 5.
    the beave

8. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you.
    Last 5 years for Mr. George Strait.
    2010 - I Gotta Get To You - #3
    2010 - The Breath You Take - #6
    2011 - Here For A Good Time - #2
    2011 - Love's Gonna Make It Alright - #3
    2012 - Give It All We Got Tonight - #7
    2013 - I Got A Car - Top 20
    2015 - Cold Beer Conversation - Heavy Rotation

His first charted single was in 1981 with Unwound - #6.

That's over 30 years of top 10 singles start to finish. He wasn't kicked to curb whatsoever.

9. FlatulentDonkey

George Strait was one of the artists (along with Alan Jackson) who really got me into country music. He will always have a special place in my heart.

Kkfan and ralph7109 like this.
  10. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

They have a few good songs - this is NOT one of them.

11. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

As far as patriotic songs go, I cannot imagine it being easy to surpass the emotions evoked by Johnny Cash's "Ragged Old Flag."

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Ragged Old Flag is one of THE definitive patriotic pieces in country music.

Kkfan likes this.
  13. BradOlson

Actually, Cold Beer Conversation is not doing very well on the charts for Strait as it has struggled in the lower parts of the Top 40 and below for a while.

14. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

You're welcome. :)

15. BradOlson

Little Big Town's Pain Killer didn't do very well on the charts either.

16. The Beave

I believe you just NAILED IT FR.
    Seriously, that band was the turnoff for country music.
    Then you could name the other country off rampers that caused even more destruction to the genre:

Garth B. was Huge, a MAJOR game changer. Was like 'here we got us a whole new country market......lets go gittim boys".
    Shenia Twain was a huge one also. It was never the same for country chicks after her success, massive success.
    And you know what? You came up with a very valid thought.
    And the 'damage' somebody like John Denver also did. It was like
    the Pillsbury Dough Boy pretending to be a real Country artist, which he WAS NOT!
    the beave

17. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

That's funny - here in Nashville I heard it all the time on the radio for a while. Chart positions can be misleading at times.

For good reason. ;)

18. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Sure he was. Probably moreso than 99% of modern country artists. He looked and spoke more like rural people from the western US than the general crop of exaggerated twang / suburb raised 'country' artists now in vogue. Not saying his music was traditional country, it wasn't. It was pop. But in hindsight, certainly more country than current country.

Shadowofmyself, Reader and starduster like this.
  19. BradOlson

They can but since the charting is so low, the Real Country satellite, which has usually jumped on everything Strait has come out hasn't added Cold Beer Conversation.

melstapler likes this.
  20. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

Wow, Dori Freeman, what a great recommendation. I just listened to her on iTunes and will order her LP from the record shop this afternoon. Great find.

Kkfan and melstapler like this.
  21. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Teddy Thompson is excellent. Although not all of his albums put a direct emphasis on country music, he maintains a high level of quality on each project and shows the utmost respect for his listeners. Very classy guy. It doesn't matter what genre or categorization an album or artist belongs to, because it's either good or not. Music should be appreciated for its honesty, not for how many plays it receives on top 40 radio or youtube.

Kkfan and Blaine Jacobs like this.
  22. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

Do you think it was AAA in the Dori Freedman case? I'm not familiar with his work at all.

23. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I do find it interesting how while mainstream country wants to be rock, alternative rock seems to be the format most embracing acts like Sturgill Simpson and Chris Stapleton that country radio wants nothing to do with for the crime of actually sounding country

Shadowofmyself and melstapler like this.
  24. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

I would recommend Will Hoge, Sam Outlaw and Daniel Romano.

melstapler likes this.
  25. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

There's still good stuff going on; Dale Watson, Heather Myles, good stuff on labels like Heart of Texas, etc. Too many fall by the wayside though; Tammy Cochran, Danni Leigh, Greta Lee - what happened to her, her album You Must be Present to Win is such a fantastic record.

Yeah it ain't Nashville but there's good stuff out there, you've just got to dig a bit deeper.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.