Faces catalog on CD currently?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't own any Faces and material and I'm interested in buying some. There are some Faces cd discussions from 5 years ago on here but now we have a new box set that contains all of the studio albums and also a rather neat looking disc that has the remaining non album A and B sides. Is this new box set the best sounding Faces on cd? Or should I seek out the first Japanese issues from 1990 or the Warner Bros. Archives remasters from 1993?

2. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Avoid the 1993 Warner Archives CDs, they blow. While not a CD of course, have you heard the hi-res versions (HDtracks, etc.)? They sound fantastic and are now my go-to versions of all titles, except for the AF gold CD of Nod.

3. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Just get the new CD box 1970-1975 You Can Make Me Dance, Sing Or Anything. It has the four studio albums and a stray singles & b-sides disc.
    Then get the Five Guys Walk Into A Bar box and you're good to go...seriously!

Dennis Metz, dee, Coricama and 17 others like this.
  4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Agree completely. Have both myself and love em.

Mark

bobcat and boboquisp like this.
  5. bcaulf

What's wrong with them? I'm just curious.

jerrygene likes this.
  6. rxcory

Compression, loudness, noise reduction.

melstapler likes this.
  7. duggan

duggan Senior Member

The definitive answer.

8. bcaulf

This looks like the way to go. Thanks for all the suggestions :)

boboquisp likes this.
  9. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

I agree except I would get the Five Guys box first!

10. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

I'm pretty sensitive to compression, etc., and I've never been bothered by the Warner Archives versions. I quite like their white trays, too. ;)

11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Whom mastered those?

12. rxcory

Lee Hershberg

13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I would get them both in the same order and save on shipping. :)

bobcat, bubba-ho-tep and duggan like this.
  14. MaximilianRG

MaximilianRG Forum Resident

15. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I'm very happy with my early Japanese editions (WPCP-....), but I do not find the Warner archive releases annoying.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  16. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Yep. This is pretty much it.

If you want to add a great single-disc comp for when you want to just grab and go, then "Good Boys... When They're Asleep" is a good addition, too.

Curiosity likes this.
  17. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Really didn't know their material all that well but picked up "Five Guys....", highly recommended.

The MEZ likes this.
  18. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Beyond the two box sets, is there anything else from the Faces that would be considered "essential"? I noticed that there are a few live tracks from the Fillmore East '70 that are included on the Faces Anthology 2 CD set. Thanks!

19. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I'm not sensitive to compression, but i bought the whole lot when I saw them in the bins of Tower Records on South Street in Philadelphia. I've enjoyed the sound and the white trays ever since.

jerrygene, footlooseman and noyoucmon like this.
  20. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I love the "Good Boys..." compilation and I'm eyeing the new box (and/or the Five Guys box. I do have the 1993 First Step and Nod CDs but I haven't critically listened to them yet...

21. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I feel the new CD box wipes the floor with the Warner Archives releases from 1993. Not even close. That and the Five Guys box, and you're solid, IMO.

22. sonnyrock

sonnyrock Forum Resident

For those titles that I compared, the early Japan WPCP and the Warner Archive cds had identical EAC peaks. I thought I read somewhere on the Forum that they were likely flat transfers. I can certainly hear tape hiss on these. If you want to hear loud, treble oveloaded masterings, try the 40th AnniversaryJapanese mini-lps from a few years ago of First Step, Long Player and Ooh La La. Can't speak for A Nod's... mini-lp as I've never owned that one. I've only kept them for the replica sleeves, which are quite nice.

bibijeebies likes this.
  23. rxcory

I originally (1990's) had the Warner Archives Nod, then replaced it with the HDtracks release (full Faces albums set) which I thought was quite an improvement. More dynamic range, less fatiguing, more natural sounding. Then I got the AF CD which I like even better. I didn't know that the Warner Archive releases shared the same mastering as the WPCP CDs, which are usually highly regarded, but for me I'm happy with the hi-res and the AF CD for Nod.

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Jack likes this.
  25. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

I got the 1970-1975: You Can Make Me Dance, Sing Or Anything box set on CD for Christmas as I only really knew their famous stuff. All I can say is: "Man, this is some good ****!" The sound is wonderful and it's a very good price when considering the amount of stuff you get. The guitar playing alone is absolutely phenomenal!

The MEZ, duggan, John Bliss and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.