Bob Dylan SACD on MFSL: What's Next?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Rhett Thomas, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The Mobile Fidelity "John Wesley Harding" SACD is wonderful. :)

Joti Cover and rstamberg like this.
  2. Lonson

Jjay, here's my opinion, in brief. Have no fear, it sounds wonderful. The harmonica is plenty alive without being at all harsh and shrill. The bass is . . . well. . . never heard it quite like this and really loving it. The guitars are warm and bouncy. Really, it's been ages since I heard this on vinyl, but I've never heard it sound this good on digital disc.

3. Lonson

I just listened to the SACD layer (man what a great song) and heard neither of these three glitches.

d.s.l. likes this.
  4. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

Yes, it is great song! I've only listened to the red book. Thanks for replying :)

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

This new JOHN WESLEY HARDING album on SACD from Mobile Fidelity sounds very, very good to me. God, I love this album. Cranking it quite loud and listening to "The Ballad of Frankie Lee & Judas Priest" and it's so clean and full. Good job on a great album.

Joti Cover likes this.
  6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

When reporting these alleged glitches, it would be nice if the exact track and time in that track could be listed so others could check their copy and confirm. I didn't notice any glitches while listening to Planet Waves, either the CD or SACD layer, but if someone hears something I'd like to be able to check a specific spot.

7. d.s.l.

Above is my original post re: glitches.

8. agentalbert

I missed that, my bad. Thanks. I'll check mine tonight.

d.s.l. likes this.
  9. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

I excitedly purchased "Planet Waves" and put it on my table and was so happy with it until it came to track 5. It is too darn bad. It really does ruin my listening experience. That high pitched noise is rotten and I would really like MFSL to return my copy. Someone get on the horn!

goer and bruce2 like this.
  10. goer

goer Forum Resident

I can hear what you mean but I believe it's just the artist moving away from the mic in No.1, and somebody accidentally making a noise in the studio in No.2 and 3. To me, neither of them is remotely as irritating as the pitch thing that comes and goes for no good reason. This really spoils the song for me and has nothing to do with the organ, in my opinion.

bruce2 likes this.
  11. agentalbert

I listened to the SACD layer of that track tonight and didn't notice anything at those times.

12. d.s.l.

That's a good sign but I've only listened to the redbook.

Thanks for checking it out but I don't believe these glitches are part of the recording. None of these glitches appear on the 2003 Columbia Hybrid SACD & they don't sound natural.

The "pitch thing" @ the start of the song is irritating & also not present on the 2003 Columbia Hybrid SACD. It could very well be part of the organ that wasn't previously revealed - we may never know.

oopap likes this.
  13. agentalbert

Okay, I do hear the faint ticks on the CD layer. The one at 2:33 is the most evident one. Disappointing. These are the type of things that one you hear, you can't UN-hear. Thankfully I'll be listening to the SACD layer most of the time, and I didn't hear them there. But I would have liked to use this as a source to make CD's for the car. Might be able to isolate the clicks in a program like Goldwave and apply a de-click to just that second and elminate or lessen it so it isn't noticable. I'll have to play with it.

I agree with you that they don't sound natural and I don't see how they could be part of the recording.

d.s.l. likes this.
  14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Just curious why it has to be someone else. The number is toll free. o_O

15. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have been so impressed with Planet Waves apart from the Track 5 glitches that I just ordered the Mobile Fidelity SACDs of John Wesley Harding and New Morning. I have the original CBS cd of the former and listened to it last night. It isn't bad but I found it a little bright in spots and think it could use more bass so I'm looking forward to hearing the Mobile Fidelity. Also looking forward to New Morning as it might be my favorite Dylan album and I only have the 2009 remaster, which again isn't bad but I'm sure can be improved upon. This forum is doing a number to my wallet!

rstamberg likes this.
  16. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Nor I, thankfully.

rstamberg likes this.
  17. d.s.l.

Strange. Maybe some discs have the defect & some don't (?)

18. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

What is being released next?:cheers:

art likes this.
  19. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I assume Nashville Skyline. Isn't that the last one left that is currently scheduled to be released on SACD?

rstamberg likes this.
  20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've played my PLANET WAVES MFSL SACD many times now and have never noticed anything out of the ordinary whatsoever.

21. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Nashville Skyline is the only one left.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  22. somedude

somedude Forum Resident

probably BD's Greatest Hits as well, seeing as the vinyl version is already out

23. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Mine just arrived and it also has the glitches. Really quite noticeable while playing the SACD layer. :realmad:

Now I wonder if MFSL (I purchased it through Music Direct) will come up with a "corrected" version and offer a replacement...:shrug:

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

How is it some of us hear these glitches and others -- including me -- do not? Equipment settings? Bad mastering? Defective discs? This particular issue's a new one on me.

25. The one I've been waiting on for a while.

rstamberg likes this.