Jeff Beck Group Live in Concert 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Glenn Christense, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block Thread Starter

I came across this concert tonight on YouTube after listening to the Beck,Bogart& Appice album there for the first time in years after reading the thread about it. After doing a search I don't believe this concert has been posted before.

Anyway, I stumbled across this concert and I really like it. I saw the band on Oct 11th,1968 so this is a pretty good representation of what I saw. It confirms my memory that Ron Wood had one of the fattest, most satisfying bass tones I remember hearing back then. I loved the whole band. Enjoy.

Here's the song list:

You Shook Me; 2:36 Let Me Love You; 7:16 I Can't Hold Out; 12:08 Beck's Boogie; 17:42 Sweet Little Angel; 25:26 Shapes of Things; 30:26 Hi Ho Silver Lining; 34:42 Beck's Bolero; 38:07 My Plimsoul; 43:31 Oh Pretty Woman; 47:20 Morning Dew; 52:15 Mother's Old Rice Pudding; 1:03:07 The Sun is Shining; 1:10:00 I Ain't Supertitious

2. Glenn Christense

I'm going to bump this one time for the Jeff Beck Group fans here that might have seen this.

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

A liitle interesting bit of info: Rod Stewart played a 12 string guitar on Beck's Bolero live.

Also, where are you photos Glenn ?

I want to fix them .....lol

Glenn Christense likes this.
  4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

12 string

[​IMG]
    .........................................................................^Rod

gd0, Glenn Christense and Purple Jim like this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

If only this band had been properly recorded live. There is what appears to be a soundboard fragment from the Fillmore West circa 1968 in circulation, but that is about it. In an interview during the past decade, Beck states that he has a tape from the Fillmore and that it is probably in disrepair, but who knows what kind of recording it is.

marmalade166 and footlooseman like this.
  6. Glenn Christense

Ha! Thanks, but I don't actually have any pictures from the show I went to this time.

reb likes this.
  7. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Isn't it amazing how little space there was for a band on-stage in those days?!

8. Glenn Christense

Yeah, and not any higher tech than playing at a school..but judging by Reb's picture and the age of the crowd they are playing for, this gig might have BEEN at a school.:D

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

10. Glenn Christense

Yeah, if you play the video I linked this releases picture is shown at the beginning of the video.
    I had never heard it or seen it before.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  11. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

12. Glenn Christense

As I mentioned in my opening post, I LOVE Ron's bass playing and tone in this band. I seem to remember Mickey Waller getting negative comments back in the original era but I had/have no issues with his playing.
    When I saw them it was the four piece like these two YouTube things, no Nicky Hopkins at that point. Although I loved Nicky Hopkins playing, the four piece was so great I didn't feel that bad that I didn't see them with Nicky.

13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Addressing your point about Ron Wood's bass tone. This has come up several times in some of The Stones threads. I think everyone agrees that Woody is an exceptional bass player.

pscreed and Glenn Christense like this.
  14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Poor Bill Wyman- he gets no respect. They cut him out of photos. Yet he appears in this official Stones video miming to Ron Wood's bass playing, Bill played synthesizers on this track, Wood bass guitar. Damn fine bass guitar playing - IMO .

footlooseman likes this.
  15. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I'm surprised by this, always thought Waller was a really good drummer. Just curious, but has anyone on here seen the Jeff Beck Group with Waller and then later with Tony Newman?

16. Glenn Christense

It's a long time ago but I remember some people thought he didn't hit the drums hard enough. Not heavy enough to play with Jeff, a little too jazz like. Keep in mind it wasn't me saying this . I liked him.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  17. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Funny that you say this, Rod Stewart thought Waller's replacement Tony Newman was too heavy! One things for sure, Beck always had great drummers.

Aynsley Dunbar
    [​IMG]

Micky Waller
    [​IMG]

Tony Newman
    [​IMG]

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  18. Glenn Christense

Funny about Rod's take on Tony. :D I liked them both although they did have different styles. Cozy Powell also.

Good pictures. Their Choice..Plush Amplifiers.:p

19. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Love the Marshall stacks.

20. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Here is a rare shot of the group with Douglas Blake on bass. He lasted just two gigs before Woody rejoined.

[​IMG]

21. Glenn Christense

Hey, what about the Plush Amplifiers ? :D ;)
    I have to wonder if the club provided the backline for that particular gig with Plush amps for some reason ?

22. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

dunno if this was the case for other bands

Albums »

"FE sound staff also made secret-from me- recordings in the basement fro a tap in the PA lines"

23. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Amen to that! And he played his fair share of bass across Rod's first five solo albums too.

Funny story, I bought the two (original) Jeff Beck Group albums in 2009, days after learning of the band's existence (and once I did discover them, I just HAD to hear more). I went to the old J&R music World, saw both albums, and they seemed to have had sales stickers that had been removed. BUT, in the boxes below, I found a copy of each one with the sale sticker still affixed. Walked out of the store with two great albums for 12 dollars.

The group also backed Donovan on a single. They also apparently were on TV with him, with Rod on backing vocals! I can't find this anywhere though (if it even survives...)

690626A 26th June: DONOVAN. UK TV (BBC) ‘Top Of The Pops’, London, BBC
    Television Centre.
    - Goo Goo Barabajagal (Donovan Leitch)
    Line-up: RW (bass)/Donovan (voc, gtr)/Jeff Beck (gtr)/Tony Newman (dr)/
    Rod Stewart (bvoc)
    Note: Telecast on the 24th July.
    Ron Wood database 1969 »

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.