Don Felder and the Eagles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coot, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotebookWriter

NotebookWriter Forum Resident

This is a fascinating thread. I mean that sincerely.

Having perused a number of Eagles threads, I can't escape the sense that some posters go out of their way to minimize the contributions of Henley and Frey. This is somewhat understandable, given that there is ample evidence to suggest that neither one has been that easy to like.

Regardless of what you think of the individual members, to me it's a clear case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. And I would consider J.D. Souther to be one of those parts, even if he was not an official member.

keyXVII, monotone, dadonred and 2 others like this.
  2. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

I'm not crediting Felder with anything on Best Of My Love. I am trying to establish "state of the band" at the time he had joined. Best Of My Love apparently was recorded and in the can before Felder was there. At the time it was unreleased and I don't think the band was thinking "Hey we've got a #1 here" since it was only released as the third single.

It's ironic because they stopped working with Glyn Johns because he kept pushing them in a "Best Of My Love" direction which they felt was a pigeonhole. Yes, they had single success, but this is the era of Led Zeppelin, Yes, you have it. Neil Young's height, Neil could be plenty melodic, but even he had only a few hit singles. Heart Of Gold did go #1.

Yes, Best Of My Love hit #1, but they never went back and used Glyn Johns again regardless. Eagles continued to push for a more guitar oriented sound. If I'm making a wall chart of the Eagles' success, Felder era starts before release of On The Border, so every rise after that is part of his era with the band, whether he contributed equally to all of the hits or not. When he joined I think they were a decent mid-level band, but clearly had concerns about their rep. It's why Felder was brought in as a full member.

3. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

This post I did has a interview with Felder
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/posts/13683243/
    apparently we will have to steal Don's wife's phone to hear that demo. It may now be property of Eagles, Inc. or Ltd. or W.E.T.F., so we will never hear it otherwise.

Zeki likes this.
  4. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

actually it is isn't it...

Zack likes this.
  5. muffmasterh

sadly some people think it is, they are about as devoid of humour as Don a Henley ( allegedly )

6. muffmasterh

thankfully probably not lol

7. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was on Already Gone that Felder first made an impact with his guitarwork. I seem to recall reading some comments by Frey that the band knew they wanted a bit more of a harder rocking edge and that they knew from that song that Felder was their guy.

TeddyB and Comet01 like this.
  8. muffmasterh

if wiki says it it must be true, Henley also says he wrote the melody, clearly the melody is not regarded as part of the music so it must be part of the lyrics then.

Yes i am reading that the Eagles had some order to the songwriting credits, however i see no contradiction in putting Felder first regardless of contribution since he brought it first to the table and everything hangs off of his contribution. Nobody can argue about that.

9. Zack

Zack Senior Member

A little Arab too maybe?

Mark E. Moon and muffmasterh like this.
  10. Kelv2014

Kelv2014 Member

In the music industry you want to be part of the touring band making money or one of the credited singer-songwriters so I'm sure J. D. Souther doesn't much care if he is an official Eagle or not when the postman rings his door with his final accounting of the royalty check from the publisher.

11. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Phew, at last a point of agreement! :D

muffmasterh and dadonred like this.
  12. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Frey was kicked out of our family for trying to eat too much cake at the parties...
    ;);)

13. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

you missed the line
    "in some cases"

sometimes handed the riffs makes things easy

according to the documentary
    Leadon gave Don Witchy Woman and he came back with the lyrics the next day

14. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Glen is a reliable source
    he diminishes plenty of people's contributions

keyXVII and longaway like this.
  15. ... But no more than the 50% that he owned.

Big Train and dadonred like this.
  16. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Don and Glen would have never come up with Victim of Love if it weren't for Felder's punchy guitar part

it merges beautifully with Henley's forceful vocals (just as critical as the guitar part)

that's where Felder failed to realize it

17. dadonred

Yeah, but when he jacked it up to 70% without telling us, we had to act.

longaway likes this.
  18. dadonred

BTW, what's the best turntable to listen to Don Felder's guitar solos on? :hide:

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

You can't blame him either. Felder was a ripper with a nice thick tone. They wanted 3rd guitarist to round out the sound and Felder was a talented, hungry guy who was also friends with Leadon. It must have seemed like a no-brainer to offer him a slot in the band.

drbeachboy and Zeki like this.
  20. varispeed

varispeed what if?

:)

21. You mean like you diminishes Glenn's contributions? (By the way, his name is spelled with two n's, not one).

22. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

It would be diminish not diminishes

23. Yes, of course you're right, I stand corrected. Don't know why I wrote that. I know that it's "he/she diminishes" and "you diminish". You won't find grammatical errors like that in my reviews and blog posts. That said, your comment is in bad taste. I'm Danish. How's your Danish? How many languages do you speak, Mr. Redneck-Hillbilly? Yeee-haaaw!

muffmasterh likes this.
  24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Grammar and spelling police have taken over the thread. :cop:

25. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

While I completely understood what you meant, please do not underestimate the readability of the many, many posts in this forum. I have a great respect for grammar that so eluded me throughout my high school years. There can be some tough reading going on in forums when when folks insist on posting without an ounce of writing skills or they had too much to drink. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.