Paul Mccartney album 'Mccartney' from 1970

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mister President, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teddy Bear?

The Beatles didn't take?

Not sure where this info is coming from.

2. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Actually meant "Teddy Boy" and "Junk". At one point they were potentially in the lineup for Let it Be and the White Album respectively.

I believe the other Beatles didn't care for these songs.

Teddy Boy | The Beatles Bible »

Paul McCartney: Junk | The Beatles Bible »

3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Yes, it really does. The album grows on me every time that I hear it, and it also gains added emotional depth when I think about his relationship with Linda, and how she encouraged him out of his depression.

DrBeatle and Chemguy like this.
  4. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

It was on the Unplugged show.

5. As far as Teddy Boy, it was slated to appear on Get Back, and it made it so far in the process that Phil Spector prepared two different mixes of it. As far as Junk, there were a few songs written and recorded during the White Album sessions that didn't make it to the final cut--George's Not Guilty is another.

6. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

If you're a McCartney fan it's definitely worth getting. I think the DCC is one of the best sounding of McCartney's DCC releases and the best this album will ever sound. Yes, it has a handful of instrumental tracks and some that may come across as 'unfinished' but all of these things combine to make one of the most charming and personal albums he has ever released. That being said, it also has 3 undisputed McCartney classic songs in Maybe I'm Amazed, Junk and Every Night.

ParloFax and theMess like this.
  7. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I was led to believe early on (by reviews, etc...) that it was a half-baked album with instrumentals instead of real songs.

I now think the instrumentals are the best part and I'm happy to add the instrumental version of "Oo You" (Don't Cry Baby) to my official McCartney album.

Women Kind most definitely has not made that cut.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    DrBeatle and theMess like this.
  8. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

There are UK -1u -1u's out there, but they must be very rare. I have seen a couple on eBay, so they were pressed - but must have been changed to 2u before release I would guess.
    It's a great sounding record to me, big open tube sound on the instrumentals. I scored a never played demo Aussie copy some years ago, one with the little circular red demonstration sticker I see on some early Aussie 70's vinyl. the Aussie 2u sounds just a shade less 'sonic' for want of a better term.

9. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

The music on the album, was just Paul messing about just to do SOMETHING. A lot of the music would have been tossed in the trash if not for Linda holding his head up. Paul was a mess. There were days he never got out of bed.
    He HAS stated in interviews that the album was put out as his way of telling the public that the Beatles were finished. John had dropped the bomb on the group that he was leaving the Beatles. It was not out in public yet.
    Paul put out McCartney which pissed off John a bit as he said to Paul, "I wanted to TELL them!"

"McCartney" WAS Paul's little jab back at John for leaving the Beatles. The album was critically disliked at the time, as was John's first solo album. Both now are praised for their unpolished sound. Both albums have a very "it feels like you're in the room with them" feel. Most of the tracks were done at his house with some of the tracks receiving a few overdubs in the studio. A lot of the songs were improv instrumentals. The song Oo You received vocals later.

Normally you wouldn't hear material like this until after the artist has died. I sometimes wonder if McCartney will receive the same treatment as Hendrix and release more albums after he's died.

10. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Thanks for that. I'm not expecting to see any stray -1u pressings in Australia, so will stick with my -2u and save some money.

blutiga likes this.
  11. ...Which applies to many, many musical creations regarded nevertheless as masterworks. Sometimes they "mess about" at home, sometimes in the very studio... sometimes on stage in front of an audience... It doesn't matter because rock music rarely follows some blueprint or any formal conceptuality (barring from hindsight).

And several of those songs Paul had been messing about with for about 1-1/2 year before the album got released so they were not exactly thrown together at the last minute.

Re-reading the OP, I'll add that McCartney had a very good artistic reason for reprising "Junk" on side two, in a different form/instrumentation: he knew this was top tier Macca!

12. bward

bward Senior Member

I love McCartney 1. One of my favorite albums by anyone.

I was just thinking: If Paul was ever to do an entire album live, this is the one I would most want to hear now. I think those instrumentals would come alive in a live setting. And I can just see Kreen Akrore as something really special, with Abe bashing away on his kit. I'm sure they'd come up with a new arrangement, it could be great.

I know this would be a short set, but to hear Momma Miss America, Junk (he's only done Singalong Junk live, right?) That Would be Something live, would be a real treat. He could flesh it out with a live performance of his first single: Another Day, Oh Woman Oh Why.

And then, he'd have plenty of time for a greatest hits/Beatles second set.

Or, he could really blow my mind, and do all of McCartney 2 live.

OK, enough dreaming. Off to work I go.

Cheers, friends.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  13. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

After reading all of the great reviews for the DCC 'McCartney' over the years, I finally bought a copy yesterday. Can't wait until it arrives. Are there any threads where Steve talks about his work on it? I searched, but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

14. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

I found a few interviews with Steve online where he's asked about it. Very interesting. The DCC arrived today and I'll be picking it up later and listening. 'McCartney' is one of my top 10 albums. It was the first album I bought by myself and I have repurchased it in many different forms over the years. I love it.

15. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member

I have played this album since 1970 more often than any other Beatles Solo release.

And without a doubt great every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.