What is John Cale's second-best album (after Paris 1919)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eli, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I'm not sure what this even means. And if I did, I would disagree. ;)

2. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

I have good news and bad news. :)
    Yes, he did quite a few albums that I find quite worthwhile. But one of the things that makes me a fan is he is all over the map, one of those restless spirits like Neil Young.
    He never did another one like Paris 1919 again, not really. But as I say, if you are interested in seeing what he was up to, what HE was interested in, you will find many interesting
    directions among the other posters suggestions. You may even like some of them MORE than Paris 1919, just don't expect to find another like that one.

Joti Cover and dino77 like this.
  3. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

what don't you get?

4. strummer101

The part of your quote I put in bold, of course.

Was he "trying too hard" when he did work with the orchestra on Words for the Dying or The Academy in Peril?
    Was he "trying too hard" when he composed music for choreography of Ed Wubbe on Nico?
    Was he "trying too hard" in the late 70s when his manic stage presence was captured on the Sabatoge/Live release?
    Was he "trying too hard" when he created the literary art of Paris 1919?
    Was he "trying too hard" on his experimental record Church of Anthrax with Terry Riley?

Do you see where I'm going? I don't know what you mean. Why is he suddenly trying to hard?

dino77 likes this.
  5. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the remastered vinyl versions of Fear, Slow Dazzle or Helen of Troy from Wax Cathedral?
    They are pressed at RTI and done at MOFI by Krieg Wunderlich.
    They are all on sale this week for $14.99, I see....

6. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

it seems like the last batch of records are more of a hodge podge of influences.i still listen to them and like them.but don't think they are as groundbreaking as much of his earlier work was.i am looking forward the the new version of "music for a new society" hope that makes more sense. and for the record i think his career is as up there with the greatest in modern music.

tremspeed likes this.
  7. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

I like everything up to Black Acetate, but this is a time where's not not really leading the pack, but trying to move with it. I don't like the overt modern r n b stuff like Nookie Wood.

tremspeed likes this.
  8. strummer101

Thanks for the response, even if I still don't know why you think he's "trying too hard" :D. I agree he's no longer groundbreaking. Most people, including John Cale, rarely are. Pretty much every artist throughout their careers play off the influence of others, then repeat themselves to some extent. (IMO)

From what I've heard of the new version of Music for a New Society, I think I'll like it! Although I'm pretty sure it won't be the majority opinion.

malco49 likes this.
  9. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i ordered the two disc CD( i only have it on vinyl) and am looking forward to hearing the remaster,and being able to add to to my iTunes for mobile listening.also am curious about the remix.the pre order came with a d/l of " close watch" which seems worthwhile. ok so i guess who i will listening to for the rest of the day! going to start with either "black acetate" or "live circus"!!!

strummer101 likes this.
  10. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I have all three although, as of now, I have only listened to Fear in its entirety. I really liked Fear so I bought the other two. I have 4 UK pressings of Fear and this release may be my favorite. It might be a little base heavy, but it sounds superb overall.

There is some commentary on these records in this thread http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/john-cale-vinyl-reissues.417939/page-2#post-12372907

Joti Cover likes this.
  11. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I actually prefer Fear over Paris 1919.

Tristero likes this.
  12. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Great news, Thank you, John

13. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I have a problem with solo Cale. The stuff I heard (Paris, Island trilogy) sounds so polished and conventional it's hard to believe he's the mastermind behind VU. Makes me want to put solo Lou Reed right away. The only record I heard that has some VU magic is Sabotage. Which ones with a more avant-garde/noize/underground sound do I need - if he has any?

14. strummer101

First, John Cale wasn't the mastermind behind VU, but he did bring something to the table.
    Second, I never thought of the VU as noize, and they were barely avant-garde IMO, so I'm not sure what you're looking for.
    VU were a perfect mixture of darkness and light, which I think both Reed and Cale have pursued in their solo careers, after moving on.
    IMO. :D

dino77 likes this.
  15. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Yeah, as strummer101 says Cale wasn't the mastermind. He was the arranger though in VU though. For that anarchic spirit, Sabotage but also Honi Soit (1981) and Church Of Anthrax (1970), which is mostly instrumental. Try his live shows from the early 80s too; they were really raw. Live at Rockpalast is recommended.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Rockpalast_(John_Cale_album)

If you want real avant garde you can check out his pre-VU music with La Monte Young, but that stuff makes VU sound like FM rock.

linclink and strummer101 like this.
  16. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

When I watched the Rockpalast show I couldn't help wishing that someone had a video of one of his mid to late 70's shows. Rockpalast is good, but pretty tame.

dino77 likes this.
  17. strummer101

Yeah, this. Hong Soit is hard to find on CD and a bit more than I can afford. I used to have the LP, but...life.
    Both Cale and Reed have some VU-ish songs scattered throughout their careers, but you nailed it as far as where you can find the most in one place.
    I also consider Music For a New Society very dark in spirit, if not anarchic in approach.

dino77 likes this.
  18. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Rockpalast '84 is pretty out there - like when Cale rips out the carpet from under his piano and puts it on his head while singing/screaming Heartbreak Hotel. He was kind of running on fumes, but the band cooks. But yes, there are some very raw and inspired recordings from '77-'79 shows at punk clubs, and seemingly no videos.

JL6161, strummer101 and ralphb like this.
  19. strummer101

just because.

JL6161, Tristero, linclink and 2 others like this.
  20. strummer101

here's one from '79

21. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The Island trilogy does what Cale always did at the time, careening form lovely ballads to psychotic breakdowns. Maybe it's context, but when Fear was released it struck me as anything but conventional, especially with songs like the title track and "Gun". Same goes with Slow Dazzle and Helen Of Troy, maybe to a lesser extent. There was always an implicit threat of everything going off the rails on those albums, and the restraint used on them only makes them more powerful in my opinion.It's worth noting that Patti Smith wanted Cale to produce her album because of the sound he got on Fear, not his V.U. affiliation.

JL6161, Tristero, Doug Sulpy and 3 others like this.
  22. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I've been relistening to the Island trilogy and while originally I would have ranked them 1-3 as Fear, Slow Dazzle and Helen of Troy, I now appreciate Helen of Troy as his Island masterpiece. This is the most in the V.U. spirit of dissonance and experimentation within the rock idiom. The band cooks, the songs are great, and while the female background singers on the first two albums seemed either extraneous or cliched, they are used in a downright subversive way on Helen of Troy. It really is a brilliant album. China Sea is a Brian Wilson inspired pop song every bit the match of "Mr. Wilson." The only song that doesn't stand out for me is Baby What You Want Me to Do - it's a good but fairly pedestrian rocker, the outtakes Coral Moon, You & Me and Mary Lou are all so much better.

23. Darby

Darby Forum Resident

Maybe Music for a New Society...

24. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

I, too, never thought of the Island albums as "polished and conventional."

25. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Exactly. Helen of Troy to me is the LEAST conventional of the three Island albums. It's really pretty out there. Slow Dazzle is probably the most conventional.

Joti Cover and DTK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.