Used Speakers. Best bang for the buck <$200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AzShawn, Feb 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Here's Michael Fremer's review from Analog Planet:
    http://www.analogplanet.com/content...g-budget-speakers-pioneer#K3Gc5BzyYeEOMBzF.97

I have two pairs of the Pioneer bookshelf model, they're pretty exceptional at the price. I used to use a pair in my main two channel system, then upgraded to the Music Hall Marimbas I posted about earlier. Now that the Marimbas can be had for under $200, were it between them and the Pioneer Bookshelf model there's no doubt that the Marimbas would be the way to go. I now use the Marimbas in my Den and KEF LS50 in the main system (got an exceptional deal on them here on the Forum). I now use the two pairs of Pioneers in my home theater system along with the Pioneer center channel.

These ELAC floor standers are up for sale on the Forum, the Seller wanted local pick up but has had trouble moving them, so shipping might be possible, it's a pretty great deal!
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/elac-debut-f5-speakers.495946/

2. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

This. I've picked up a couple pairs of used Paradigm speakers for well under $200, and I'm very pleased with them. The Titan v3s, with the plastic back, are particularly nice.

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Have Paradigm Titans [first iteration], cost $12 at a thrift store.

[​IMG]

Very dynamic, decently balanced, a little aggressive sounding. Good for rock. Have owned the cheaper, smaller Atoms, also used, also $10. Not as good. Lacks weight, can get "shouty". A friend has Paradigm's Studio 100 floorstanders. More of the same, need comparatively little power to play loud. Not cheap when he bought them 10 years ago, worth looking up.

As all my speakers are cheap, lets go on down the line. a/d/s 400s in metal enclosures, circa mid-1980s. Small, sealed 2-way. Low distortion. Overall, my best speakers right now. Yard sale, $20. Really nothing below 80 hz, perfect to join to a sub. Very smooth on top, inefficient.

[​IMG]

[Edit—seeing as you have a small room and an old, wonderful sounding but low-powered, Scottie integrated for an amp, the Paradigm Titans will play louder, the a/d/s L400 will sound sweeter, both have similarly small footprints.]

Infinity 2500s, 1980s. Big two-way speakers, 8" woofers, 1" dome tweeter [similar to the a/d/s but not quite as smooth sounding]. Ported, goes down to 40 hz. Efficent. Boxes are 14" x 14" x 24". Set me back $65 in 1998. Overall good but a little lumpy on the bottom, a little etched in the upper registers.

[​IMG]

DCM Time Frames, 1980's. Floorstanding. Bought used for $65. The speaker has a thin frame that suggests a dipolar design but this speaker is a modified transmission line, as far as I can tell. Not dynamic, nice on piano but more of a background music speaker.

[​IMG]

Also have the RCA Lineaum speakers. These are also badged by Radio Shack, little 2-ways with quasi-ribbon tweeters, inefficient, "shouty', don't go loud, don't bother.

Have owned Advents in various sizes at various times. The only one really worth buying is the original Large Advent. It's another two-cubic foot "Bookshelf" [ha!] speaker, has a funny looking 'doughnut' tweeter/mid driver, a steep roll-off above 15khz, goes down to 32hz. Stacking the speakers with the tweeters as close as they can get [see below] produces wonderful imaging and great bass. Very even tonal balance from 100hz to 10khz. Acoustic suspension, so they need a bit of power but not as much as comparable AR and KLH designs. If you've got the room for them, a pair of Stacked Advents might be the best bang for the buck.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  4. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Pinnacle made several towers that are pretty efficient, 92-95db IIRC. They never had that "have to have it" following so in the used space they are available. Excellent sounding speakers that do everything very well yet don't suffer from that "something's missing" feeling some speakers can leave you with.

5. Erik A. flickinger

Erik A. flickinger New Member

Hit craigslist, no shipping, you maybe get to listen, Google potential candidates, can't believe the guys still throwing mini monitors and stand mounts at you. Even here near Cleveland there is a decent selection. Or, find something cool on eBay, remember, the interweb and Google machine is quite a modern tool.

6. Erik A. flickinger

Erik A. flickinger New Member

I had my Vandersteen 1's on the CL at $275, then decided to keep them, they are 90db, and retail new at $1200. There are deals out there...

7. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Maybe consider some Parts Express small monitors. Under 100 a pair and are highly rated.

8. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Dayton B652 AIR ... around $60, new. For the money, absolutely killer. From Parts Express, Amazon has 'em as well.

9. AzShawn

AzShawn New Member Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.