Best New Album of 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gaslight, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Freakwater

Mr. H and Davey like this.
  2. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Hmm, I lucked out last year! New stuff from Vanessa Carlton, John Grant, Joe Jackson, Madonna, Mylene Farmer, Janet Jackson, Marilyn Manson (and it was actually good for the first time in over a decade). Not to mention I discovered Lianne La Havas and James McMurtry.

3. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Andy Pandy likes this.
  4. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

bowie
    sloan tribute album fantastic record.

mschrist likes this.
  5. drasil

drasil Former Resident

for someone who was honestly disappointed by holy wood and grotesque and stopped listening entirely with high end of low, would you say pale emperor is worth hearing? I'd just sample it myself but I'm not sure I could handle yet another retread of the same formulas from him.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Hey guys, it would be helpful to we who are unhip to state the artist/album title. Thanks :wave:

7. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Another vote for "Blackstar" as best. 2nd is Diiv "Is the Is Are". 3rd Suede "Night Thoughts". 4th Savages "Adore Life"

ramdom, Brudy and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  8. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Oof... tall order. See, I loved Grotesque. Actually, it's my favorite of his LPs.

But I think that the music on The Pale Emperor far outshines Eat Me, The High End, and Born Villain. Not everything is successful, but it's a major improvement. Its closest relative is Mechanical Animals, musically speaking. I would check out Deep Six, Third Day of a Seven Day Binge, and Killing Strangers. If those wet your lips, give it a go. I'd give it a solid 7/10.

It restored my faith that anybody can come back, no matter how far gone they are. It gives me hope Björk will make something decent again.

drasil likes this.
  9. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Third Inch Astronaut - Personal Life

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Id also say Suede-Night Thoughts is a strong album.

Colin M likes this.
  11. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I've only bought and listened to 3 so far. So, my top 3 would be:

1a. David Bowie - Blackstar
    1b. Megadeth - Dystopia
    3. Elton John - Wonderful Crazy Night

Can't decide between Bowie and Megadeth yet. I've listened to Bowie more times but that is because it was released a couple weeks earlier than Megadeth's. Still listening to both. Only have listened to Elton John's twice so far. Really too early to say which is the best for me. Ask me again in about 10 months. ;)

Todd W. and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  12. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Really surprised not to see Anderson .Paak's album Malibu mentioned yet. Great album of funky neo-soul goodness.

So far for me I'd say Blackstar, Malibu, and Ty Segall's Emotional Mugger in that order.

I was looking forward to Savages' Adore Life but am somewhat disappointed. I'll revisit it though.

mantis4tons likes this.
  13. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Agree with you. I listed "Adore Life" as my 4th favorite album of the year, but it's deceiving since I've only bought 4. It does have growth potential but so far, I'm disappointed. I need to listen to it more buy Bowie's entire back catalog is making it difficult for new albums to get time right now.

scotth likes this.
  14. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Blackstar. What a way to go out. And another vote for the Suede album.

15. eskaton

eskaton Forum Resident

It's gonna be difficult to top Blackstar in my book.

andy75 likes this.
  16. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Bowie - ★

Also,Tedeschi Trucks Band's Let Me Get By (Deluxe ed. with "Oh, You Pretty Things" cover)

17. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Thanks for mentioning this one. The snippets I listened to sound intriguing. I'm going to have to stream this one tonight.

scotth likes this.
  18. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Doesn't count yet, but I'm looking forward to the debut next week of Void Beats/Invocation Trex by Cavern of Anti-Matter, sounds intriguing the little I've heard so far. It includes Stereolab's Tim Gane, former Stereolab drummer Joe Dillworth, and synth man Holger Zapf, and guest appearances from Deerhunter's Bradford Cox, Spacemen 3's Sonic Boom, and Mouse on Mars' Jan St. Werner.They also put out an EP a few years ago.

michanes and drasil like this.
  19. drasil

drasil Former Resident

plus a whole double album, and three singles since that EP.

...and to be honest, I've only once been able to slog through the album. I'm hoping things are a little more developed this time around.

(though I never did listen to the 2014/15 singles. I think I'll do that tonight.)

Davey likes this.
  20. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Sorry, it's Two Inch Astronaut, of course. :doh:

21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Alan Bumstead likes this.
  22. NoTime806

NoTime806 Forum Resident

Definitely not Blackstar, I get it though, he died. I just can't get over his old man vocals. RIP anyways.

23. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

Baroness - Purple

24. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

New Suede is pretty damn good..

Freedom Rider and mpayan like this.
  25. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Steven Wilson - 4 1/2

I didn't like the new Bowie as much as I would have liked, perhaps it's the shadow it fell under like how I felt with Double Fantasy. And perhaps it will grow on me.

-Richard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.