Obscure songs from the '60s that you love to share with people

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleStair, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Spacer22

Spacer22 Forum Resident

I'm not a big fan of instrumentals, but this one is very cool.

Bert's Apple Crumble - The Quik (1967)

MJConroy likes this.
  2. GroovySoundz

GroovySoundz Active Member

Hey, cool ! Its 'far out' isnt it !

CliffL likes this.
  3. I Feel Free

I Feel Free Forum Renegade

Before he was in H.P. Lovecraft... It's the b-side of the sole single by Illinois folk-rocker George Edwards, "Never Mind, I'm Freezing", a minor-key folk-pop song with jangly guitar, released in 1966.

swampwader, John54 and geo50000 like this.
  4. I Feel Free

From 1967, it's Santa Barbara, California band Giant Crab with a pretty pop song, "The Answer is No", the b-side of their 3rd single (of 7).

Mechanical Man likes this.
  5. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

I've got this on "Essential Pebbles Vol. 3" Great song.

I Feel Free likes this.
  6. I Feel Free

From 1968, it's New Jersey band the Giant Jellybean Copout, doing their best Beach Boys imitation with, "Awake in a Dream", the a-side of their only single. Lovely vocals.

Also good is the b-side, "Look at the Girls": The Giant Jellybean Copout - Look at the Girls »

CliffL and Mechanical Man like this.
  7. ctgregory

ctgregory Forum Resident

Alley-oop by the Royal Guardsmen:

8. I Feel Free

From 1968, it's short-lived, obscure British group Giles, Giles and Fripp with the a-side of their 2nd and last single, "Thursday morning", a lovely, orchestrated pop number. They also released an album in 1968, "The Cheerful Insanity of ..." Fripp went on to play in King Crimson.

KaBluie and Happening45 like this.
  9. I Feel Free

From 1965, it's all-girl, California group the Girls -- four sisters from Los Angeles -- with R&B number,"Chico's Girl", the 2nd of 3 singles. Sounds like something Tarantino would use in one his movies.

doublenaught likes this.
  10. I Feel Free

From 1968, it's New York band the Glitterhouse -- sounding very British -- with the b-side to their 3rd (of 4) singles, the excellent pop-psych track,"Tinkerbell's Mind".

11. I Feel Free

From 1967, it's obscure U.S. band the Golden Bough, with "Everybody's Gotta be Someplace", a catchy pop tune with nice harmonized vocals. I know nothing about this band, except that they recorded this single in the U.S. on the A&M label on August, 1967.

Happening45 likes this.
  12. I Feel Free

From 1967, it's Texas psychedelic band Golden Dawn, with "Starvation", from their sole album, 'Power Plant'. Do they sound like the 13th Floor Elevators or what?!? Turns out, the lead singer of Golden Dawn, George Kinney, grew up with 13th Floor Elevator's singer, Roky Erikson, in South Austin!

doublenaught and Happening45 like this.
  13. Happening45

Happening45 Forum Resident

July hit the psychedelic psweet pspot....

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  14. Happening45

Happening45 Forum Resident

Brian Hyland teams up with Del Shannon to produce something special.

doublenaught likes this.
  15. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

The Fab Four - I'm Always Doing Something Wrong
    from Kansas City, MO.

doublenaught likes this.
  16. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Big fan here. I started a thread on these guys awhile back and actually got some responses.

The Giant Crab... Anybody? »

17. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

I *love* "Look at the Girls". What an incredible melody. For those unaware, The Giant Jellybean Copout was actually The Critters with Bob DiLeo sitting in on lead vocals. Bob had some exceptional singles of his own released on Columbia.

Rahni by Bob Dileo »

swampwader and CliffL like this.
  18. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

A voice so powerful there's distortion. This was the first song of her's I heard. I think it's her best of the two or three I've heard.

19. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Catchiest country song ever?

This was a huge one in New Zealand. She recorded it no less than 4 times! This is the original 45 version from 1966.

She re-recorded it with a longer intro and guitar break a year later for her "In Nashville" album which was recorded in the U.S. another version appears on a K-Tel 1970 '20 Explosive Hits' album labeled as "USA Version" on a recent Kiwi Compilation, she then recorded it yet again in the early 80's for cut-price label Music World.

20. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Great Aussie group who supported the Beatles on their tour Down Under. Mainly instrumental, but did some great vocal tunes too. I think this ones on par with those early Lennon-McCartney tunes of the Meet The Beatles era.

John B and doublenaught like this.
  21. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

This might have been mentioned in one of the previous 53 pages, but I think one of the most overlooked, hauntingly beautiful songs I've ever heard is the Zombies "Beechwood Park" from "Odessey and Oracle." Man..

22. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Actually they were from Montreal, all former members of Les Sinners

[​IMG]

23. I Feel Free

From their 1968 self-titled album, its New York Italian-American band the Good Rats with a catchy pop-psych number, "Anybody Got the Time".

Also good is the title track, "We are the Good Rats": THE GOOD RATS we are the good rats »

That lead singer has quite a voice!

doublenaught likes this.
  24. I Feel Free

From their 1970 self-titled album, its British heavy-prog band Gracious with a cool number, "Introduction". I'm not a big prog fan, but I like this track.

John54 likes this.
  25. I Feel Free

From 1966, it's British singer Graham Goldman, with a great little R&B number, "Stop! Stop! Stop!"