Stanton L737E being re-tipped by Expert Stylus

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cherbette, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've shipped my cart and its original stylus off to be retipped by Expert Stylus in the UK. Their reputation made for an undeniable choice. However, I am curious about the turnaround rate. Can anyone give feedback on their recent experience as to how much time this will take?

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Yes , they did my benz last year, 3 weeks. You have to factor in the postal time. Worth it though,

3. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Doesn't the L737E have an easily replaceable stylus? Mine does. Nice sounding cart, a tiny bit bloated on the bass. Mine doesn't skip ever, I use it for tough vinyl that skips with my other carts.

johnny q likes this.
  4. cherbette

Not unless you know something I don't. As far as I can see there are only aftermarket styli available for it. This one will have the paratrace tip which should be on point with the Stereohedron that Stanton used to make.

OcdMan and PhilBiker like this.
  5. cherbette

I shipped it First Class International Priority. It should arrive there any day now. I'm glad to know that the turnaround was so fast. I've read about others waiting months.

6. PhilBiker

Ah yes - plenty of aftermarket styli out there for this body including some interesting Shibata modele.

It's been years but I remember finding some place on line that had NOS D74S styli in stock; they were astronomically expensive. I upgraded to the D74S stylus on my 737-E-E many years ago and I'm sure mine is very worn out since I've had it for a long time, so I don't play it unless I have a record that skips - throw the 737 on there and *poof* the record plays right through. I remember the Stereohedron tip taming sibilance distortion quite a bit and sounding better than the eliptical that came with the L 737-E. Good luck, I hope you follow up with your experience. Nice cart I like mine, especially for 45s - purchased in the early 80s when P-Mount was shiny and new and universal mount carts seemed to be the way to go. Slightly bloomy/bloated bass on mine though, a very minor complaint. Nice cart - it gets a lot better with an upgraded stylus.

McLover likes this.
  7. cherbette

I am truly looking forward to it. May time fly...

PhilBiker likes this.
  8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Keep us posted! Those vintage Stantons are worth some TLC, and I have never found an aftermarket stylus for any of them that matches the original equipment.

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. PhilBiker

Here's my early 80s 737-E- with its early 90s vintage D74S running.....

[​IMG]

It actually sounds effing GREAT. I can see why you'd want to re-tip with a Stereohedron equivalent.

I vaguely recall the problem with a lot of these needles was the cantilever suspension was made with some kind of rubber that collapsed/failed when it aged. A re-tip is not going to address that. Although My D74S is fine and it was NOS in 1993 when I bought it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    johnny q likes this.
  10. cherbette

It was definitely bent. They've corrected it. Hopefully I won't find issue. Thanks

PhilBiker likes this.
  11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I have a Pickering XL-33U with a DTL-3S (Stereohedron) stylus. However, the cantilever has gone askew and the suspension has stiffened up. Is this something Expert Stylus can fix? Would it be worth it????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.