Who Were The Greatest Writers/Producers of Early Seventies Soul?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mooserfan, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

These men are giants of seventies soul, but each had an identifiable sound. All of them wrote or co-wrote major hits as well as brought their unique identity to their (often elaborate) productions. The early 1970's were graced to have their records on the charts at approximately the same time.

Choose Between:

Thom Bell producer, writer with Linda Creed, Phil Hurtt & Others:
    * "I'll Be Around", "Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time", "You Are Everything", "Then Came You", etc.

Gamble & Huff, producers, writers with Gene McFadden & Others:
    *"Backstabbers", "If You Don't Know Me By Now", "Me and Mrs. Jones", etc.

Norman Whitfield, producer, writer with Barrett Strong:
    *Papa Was A Rolling Stone", "War", "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)", etc.

I understand they have work/hits in the Sixties, but I'd like to focus on the first five years of the Seventies as a unique period. Feel free to make a distinction between who you think were the "greatest" (you can define: most innovative, most records sold, other criteria) or just who you like the most. You vote could be cast either way.

2. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

How 'bout Willie Mitchell?

Tord, sami and frog12 like this.
  3. Mooserfan

Good point, I guess he'll have to be a write-in!

4. frog12

frog12 Forum Resident

Or how about .... Curtis Mayfield ?

5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I love the work of all three cited, but as a personal preference would choose the work Gamble and Huff did at Philadelphia International and that Norman Whitfield did for the Temps, over that of Thom Bell for the Spinners/Stylistics.

Willie Mitchell has to be in the mix for his work with Al Green, Ann Peebles and others. His sound defined that genre of Memphis/Southern Soul.

Stevie Wonder should be in the mix too, mainly for his own self-produced classic 70s albums, which were incredibly varied. Didn't he win a Grammy for Producer of the Year around the time of Songs In the Key of Life ? Similar argument for Curtis.

Maybe George Clinton too, for Parliament, Funkadelic and others.

Or Maurice White, notably for Earth Wind and Fire, but also the Emotions (I think, offhand).

6. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I voted for Thom Bell because of:
    a) You Are Everything-Stylistics
    b) Rubberband Man, (They Just Can't Stop It) Games People Play-Spinners
    c) I'm Doing Fine Now-New York City

7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Can't choose. All 3 were outstanding.

Maseman66 and jricc like this.
  8. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Gamble & Huff

9. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Out of those 3 Poll choices, for me its got to be Gamble & Huff..
    these albums of theirs are on heavy rotation chez moi (and are all spectacular in Quad btw)...

The O'Jays - "Ship Ahoy", "Family Reunion", "Survival", "Message In The Music",
    MFSB - "Love Is The Message", "Philadelphia Freedom",
    Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - "Black & Blue", "Wake Up Everybody",
    Billy Paul - "360 Degrees Of..", "War Of The Gods"..

(ok I snuck in a couple of albums from '76 there..)

There are SO many hits on those LPs when you stop and think about it, do they really get their due.. ?

"Put Your Hands Together", "Now That We Found Love", "For The Love Of Money", "I Love Music", "Livin For The Weekend", "Darlin Darlin Baby"... "The Sound Of Philadelphia".. "The Love I Lost", "Satisfaction Guaranteed Or Get Your Love Back", "Tell The World How I Feel About'cha Baby", "Don't Leave Me This Way".. "Me & Mrs. Jones", "Am I Black Enugh For You", "Thanks For Saving My Life", "The Whole Town's Talking"..

..and then there's all the deep cuts.. plus hits they had with numerous acts both before and after that Golden era of 72-76 that coincided with Quadraphonic..

...plus of course they did some fabulous records for the likes of Lou Rawls and The Three Degrees,
    my favourite records by both those artists are far and away what they did with them at PIR.. Gamble & Huff are musical geniuses imho..
    when I hear songs like "Take Good Care Of Yourself", "You Will Never Find Another Love Like Mine", "Lady Love".. "Groovy People" and "See You When I Get There" I am transported to a magical time for music, a lot of it was made before i was born or when I was just a kid but I love it all deeply and its been a big part of the soundtrack to my life.. was there ever anything quite like the music of Gamble and Huff before or since, whether its Billy Paul or Lou Rawls the special ingredients that for me define Philadelphia International are right there every time.

10. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

WILLIE MITCHELL

Tord and zebop like this.
  11. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Rick Hall, of FAME Studios.
    Not on your list, but one of my favorites - Wilson Pickett, Aretha Franklin, Staple Singers....
    Love that sound.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Thom Bell. Not even close for me. No one could match him for baroque soul (Stylistics, Delphonics)...and he was the whole package: writer and producer.

Damiano54 likes this.
  13. Mooserfan

Whitfield isn't getting any love here, but his productions were innovative and some of his arrangements are startling in how they evoke a sense of dread and hopelessness. Think of the stark instrumental opening of the long version of "Papa Was A Rolling Stone". Doesn't get much better than that.

14. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Linda Creed is a man?:)

drasil likes this.
  15. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

True, Norman Whitfield was great. For me he did his best work when Barrett Strong did the lyrics. Strong is a very witty and sharp writer. Whitfield's certainly known for his work with the Temptations but as for the post-1972 work, Undisputed Truth's Down to Earth is probably best other period Whitfield albums like The Temptations 1990, David Ruffin Me N' Rock n' Roll Are Here to Stay..."

16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Please don't let me be the first to say Allen Toussaint....

Tord likes this.
  17. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Bell ringing.

zebop likes this.
  18. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Can't choose, all were great...

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yeah, all were great, I don't get the idea of pitting them against each other for a top spot.

20. Mooserfan

Well, you could say the same about almost any poll around here. I just was curious as to what people's favorites are, and why. There are relatively few threads on this forum about these great artists.

21. sami

sami Mono still rules

All of the above, plus Willie Mitchell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.