"FM" - Original Soundtrack on CD-awful mastering!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Massproductions, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Massproductions

Massproductions Forum Resident Thread Starter

I never new the soundtrack came out on CD, but considering how crappy it sounds, why did they even bother?

I can't remember the last time I returned a CD for poor sound quality, but I just received it from Amazon and it's a stinker. It sounds flat and dull like a worn out cassette tape.

Totally unacceptable! It's a great collection, but I just can't listen to it anymore.

I think I'll send these coasters back, and just pull the same tracks from my existing CD's and re-create it.

However, is this CD the only source for the live Linda Ronstadt tracks?

I know the mix of "FM" itself is on "Decade Of Steely Dan" and I have the original Roger Nichols mastering, which sounds awesome. But the only place you can get the "Reprise" of FM other than this dog of a CD is on vinyl right? I did a needle drop of the "Reprise" from the 12" single and that sounds pretty good.

Is that it? The rest of the tracks can be pulled from other CDs.

deredordica likes this.
  2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

In other words, the vinyl issue is better than the CD issue of this classic soundtrack.

c-eling likes this.
  3. Massproductions

It seems like the version of "FM" on Steely Dan Gold contains most of the Reprise version, but edited differently. Can someone point out how I might be able to re-create the Reprise? I have FM on "decade' "gold" and on "Citizen Steely Dan"

4. Massproductions

Maybe, but if the CD was mastered from the LP cutting master, then probably not much better. I don't have a vinyl copy to compare.

5. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Pretty much every song on that LP can be found in better quality on the original release by the actual band. Pretty mainstream stuff like We Will Rock You, More Than A Feeling, etc.

I do need the song "FM" itself, though. Vinyl-wise, does anyone know what's best - FM Soundtrack, Gold, Decade?..

6. BradOlson

The Decade of Steely Dan comp was only released on CD.

Galley likes this.
  7. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

That makes it easier. So it's down to FM Soundtrack or Gold. Anyone own both?

8. Massproductions

same goes for citizen steely dan. "Gold" did come out on vinyl. However, there are two different mixes of FM. The mix on "Decade" is the mix used for cut 1 of the "FM" soundtrack, but it's a different mix or edit on "gold" which has some of the reprise. Right?

9. Massproductions

I don't have the original "gold" vinyl, not sure what mix they used.

10. BradOlson

Right.

11. Who put this out? Is this the dreaded Culture Factory?

12. Massproductions

ok, so is there a way to make an edit from FM on "GOLD" CD to get the Reprise version?

13. Massproductions

There's two versions. I got the older MCA release. There is a newer "culture factory" but I hear thats been brickwalled.

14. Yep. I've heard it. It's shrill sounding.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

My recollection of the original vinyl release is that it was no great shakes sound-wise (not to mention pretty uninteresting, with mostly stuff otherwise available elsewhere).

It's almost a certainty that they just used that old LP compilation master for the CD, and that compilation master was itself created from mostly haphazard dubs of various cuts.

16. Massproductions

probably, how did Steely Dan let them get away with that? Considering how obsessive they are. Where else can I get the Linda Ronstadt cuts?

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This entire enterprise was put together by Irving Azoff as a cynical attempt to ride the soundtrack wave of much better realized movies/soundtracks as Saturday Night Fever.

He managed a good number of the artists represented on the album.

That doesn't quite answer your question of why Steely Dan didn't object to the sound. But presumably they didn't consider it a SD album, and their contribution(s) was considered a favor to Irving.

18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

c-eling likes this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Here's a sample of FM Reprise from my old 2x12, surprised the 2000 MCA disc would sound shrill if they were using the old master, something must have gone wrong...
    Dropbox - FM Samp.wav »

20. BradOlson

The unreleased live Linda Ronstadt stuff can only be found on the FM soundtrack to this day.

gorangers likes this.
  21. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

Wasn't the intro of one track partially cut off on the MCA 2-CD? I want to say it was "It Keeps You Runnin'" (neither my original FM LP nor CD are within reach to verify it right now)...

22. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I would've guessed by the description that this was the Culture Factory version the OP was talking about. Very surprised the 2000 MCA was bad. I was actually looking for that mastering...

23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I just listened to the 2000 MCA "FM" soundtrack on CD and I have no major issues with the sound of the Steely Dan theme or "reprise". That edited mix of the theme on those other CD's have always driven me crazy. I call that remix, the "too much sax" version!

24. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

The Linda Ronstadt cuts are crazy good. She was at the height of her powers then and always had a great band. I just wish there was more Linda.

RevUp64, TeacFan and c-eling like this.
  25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

there are a couple of different versions of steely dan's "FM". and the difference is in the outro.......one of them has a guitar solo outro and the other a saxophone solo outro, i just can't remember which is which and where they can be found.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.