The best SHM-SACDs (part3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Has anyone compared the Black Sabbath SHM-SACDs with the Japanese 33PD 2-fer sets?

2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I have only compared Paranoid to my 23PD-134 and Heaven & Hell to my 32PD-129. Not sure if that's what you're looking for. In both cases the redbook CD's easily beat the SHM-SACD's.

joelee, bru87tr and hvbias like this.
  3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Not to me it does not. The album never sounded good, but the SHM-SACD sounds better than the CBS pile of crap.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  4. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I prefer the Paranoid and it's unique mastering on the 33PD greatly over what I consider the vile sounding SHM-SACD. The 33PD remains by a thinnest of margins over the 1986 Castle my preferred digital version of the album. I can also see how some could like the 1996 Castle even though it's fallen completely out of my favor.

The s/t, which is not complete on the 33PD, stands up rather well to the SHM-SACD but for nearly all the tracks I prefer the SHM-SACD.

Don't have any other 33PD's so thats all I can offer other than I will say I consider the SHM-SACD of Masters Of Reality, Vol. 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath reference grade. As for the s/t as complete [full UK + US tracks] versions of the album go the SHM-SACD for me has no peer.

SOONERFAN and hvbias like this.
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I thought most Black Sabbath SACDs were excellent. I wish they'd done Sabotage as well.

GregM, hvbias and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  6. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

It seems these releases are done. Are the shm sacd?

7. This!

8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thanks a lot!

Like ricks says I believe Paranoid 23PD is a different mastering from the 33PD 2 album set.

What is the best sounding version of Sabotage on digital?

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

IIRC it may be the original Castle CD CLACD202 (not the '96 remaster).

hvbias likes this.
  10. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Yes that is a very nice disc however it does have 2 tape issues. See the 2014 post of mine reprinted below:

"Sabotage"
    The 1986 Castle is very good but has tape issue on two tracks; Symptom of The Universe and Megalomania which bother some folks but surprisingly not me. The Original WB is very nice sounding, has no tape issues. I feel it's easily the best sounding of the 1986 WB Sabbath's and I think it's still in print? Mixing and matching between those 2 CD's serves many well. The 2009/2010 Andy Pearce is also very good and easy to find. Wish there had been an SHM-SACD of this one

Hard for me to rank them as I really like them all for different reasons, but for most I'd say the original Warner or the Peace will serve them well.

hvbias and Plan9 like this.
  11. art

art Senior Member

Wow is Elton's Self-titled an incredible shm-sacd. Jaw-dropping.

12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Yes, it is....

Clanceman likes this.
  13. If there was ever an SHM-SACD that needs to be released, it's Sabotage.

joelee, Plan9 and Clanceman like this.
  14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yes, but also if there was ever a multichannel SACD of a Sab album that needed to be released, it's Sabotage. So maybe a blessing in disguise that the SHM-SACD never materialized as those were invariably two-channel only.

Clanceman likes this.
  15. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I think my head would explode if ever I could listen to a good multichannel mix of Sabotage. I would look forward to that! :agree:

16. As I said, 2.0 or 5.1 either way, just give me Sabotage in SACD!

masterbucket likes this.
  17. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Meanwhile, Uni decided to join Sony in the Numbered Limited Hybrid SACD series (limited to 1000 copies). It's Hong Kong Edition, but manufactured in Japan. (Jewel case). They start from $30 at amazon.

Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds »

I dared to try 3 titles; two of them are EMI's (they are in order):
    Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells (2009 mastering w/Mike's remix)
    Enigma MCMXC A.D. (?)
    Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry The Ultimate Collection (?)

Will report soon.
    Here is a sampler from the one of eight titles Ultimate SACD Sound: Timeless (Various Artists)
    Chris De Burgh the Lady In Red
    (I'm not in a pop, but have to admit I like this video a lot):

P.S.
    Sony released 12 titles (nothing much to choose from). However, I bought Kenny G Breathless. It sounds amazingly good (no credit info, thou). Made in the EU.

18. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

toilet_doctor likes this.
  19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks. I ordered American Pie from amazon.com a couple of days ago, but a few other titles look interesting.

Does the SHM-SACD of Tubular Bells have the original mixes?

toilet_doctor likes this.
  20. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

Keith,

Looking forward to your review of American Pie. If you think of it, could you mention it here so I would receive the email notification, even if you post the review in a different Thread?

Thanks!

21. toilet_doctor

OK, Mike Oldfield original mix is short on a bass. Pt was better version. I sold my Historical 2001 first Multi-ch Hybrid SACD for a lack of clarity and really count on this new one.

I made home run with it, grabbing Number 0016 for $39.99, (which is actually retail price) from Hong Kong dealer on eBay. Any other copies he is selling for $29.99 + $7 shipping. Hong Kong retailers are very reliable guys, specializing on audiophile CDs. I am buying from them time by time, sometimes very rare stuff. They always provide very safe packaging. These titles are very collectable, but Oldfield... it's not OOP yet, whiles some already selling it for $59.

Another way to buy them - from Acoustic Sounds - it's $40 - $4 (10% off) + free shipping with the order over $89. So, there is the one SACD there to consider in a term of mastering and music-wise too just for the 20 bucks; it's something special - Jazzy version of 9 Zeppelin songs!

Vanessa Fernandez-When The Levee Breaks-Hybrid Stereo SACD|Acoustic Sounds »

I put my eye on it, just thinking what else to buy to complete the order.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  22. KeithH

I can do that. No problem. The American Pie SACD will arrive on Monday, but I will be traveling part of the week. I'll post comments as soon as I can. :)

'67 Chevy likes this.
  23. KeithH

To be clear, are you saying that the Platinum SHM-CD has the 2009 remixes that are also on the Hong Kong SACD?

Other than the Hong Kong SACD, where have the 2009 remixes appeared? On the Deluxe Edition CD set?

As for the recent set of Hong Kong SACDs, I have ordered American Pie and the Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music compilation. I might buy Tubular Bells, but I really like the SHM-SACD and the early Japanese VDP CD.

24. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I have noticed that there is an original oop Tattoo You SHM from 2010 that says 2009 on it. It goes for 40 or so on EBay so I am assuming it is not the 2009 remaster is it better than the 2011 HR original master SHM versions?

25. toilet_doctor

Yes, on the Deluxe Ed. Pt is flat transfer from UK tape. I will do comparison test after new SACD arrival.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.