Poll: 'Carpenters' album in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

Well, I got almost all the studio albums and then some. Still getting the missing pieces slowly.

2. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Did anyone get into the 74-78 singles. Still not sure if I need it in my collection. More popular in UK

3. John54

John54 Senior Member

No Carpenters. Don't like their music.

Oatsdad likes this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I don't own anything by The Carpenters at all.

Oatsdad likes this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The poll suggests there aren't enough of us tuned into one of the greatest voices in music history!
    I will say, though, that the original pressings I own of a couple of Carpenters albums have some bad mastering. Sibilance that stabs your ears!
    I have a cd that rectifies that issue, so if you're looking to pick up a release or two, look to a remastered cd, IMO.

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I own only their greatest hits, which I expect is more common than owning only their first album

7. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

I bought "Horizon" so I could have a nice version of Solitaire but then I discovered their version of Desperado. It's now a go-to for me. Totally awesome version. True fact!

Do it!

Folknik likes this.
  8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Who are you people!?!

9. audiomixer

Too bad

Grant likes this.
  10. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Carpenters fans:pineapple:

11. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Good choice. Avoid "Made in America". It's truly awful. You might look into "Voice" as it does have some pretty cool things. "Lovelines" does too.

Ed

zebop likes this.
  12. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Will do. I've seen Made in America, I couldn't make it past the cover, ha.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

All essential music by Carpenters, which, to me, means all of their hits, a couple of studio albums, and significant B-sides and album tracks.

zebop likes this.
  14. audiomixer

Well, I am too!!! The poll reflects otherwise.

Folknik, Jasonb, zebop and 1 other person like this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't. They all feature Richard's re-recordings and remixes. Yuck. Look for the original vinyl.

Jasonb likes this.
  16. Nostaljack

The cover is the least of it's problems. Richard clearly decided he wanted to be noticed. His response? Throw in the kitchen sink with the utensils and mute absolutely everything that's compelling about Karen. "Touch Me When We're Dancing" is about all that's essential from this release and even this is over-produced.

The album also houses their very worst tune: "Want You Back (In My Life Again)". Never have they sounded so "out of it" as they do here. They try '80's dance-pop here and the results are absolutely hilarious for all the wrong reasons. Richard, of course, can't let go of the strings so they inappropriately show themselves here. The vocal arrangement, while being ear candy-riddled, is all wrong for the tune and Karen sings like she couldn't care less. It's just the worst thing they ever did.

Ed

17. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Looking back there is some nice music there but at the time ... music for kids, moms and dads.
    Revolution was in the air and the Carpenters were looked at as bland, boring, safe, empty calories ...

I didn't know a single person who owned any Carpenters music.
    "Hey, you wanna listen to some Zeppelin or Floyd or ... the Carpenters?"

It was for people who were into Andy Williams, Anne Murray and Bobby Sherman.

18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I picked...
    All officially recorded and released music by Carpenters, because I have lots of stuff on the Carpenters.
    Too late in the evening to count now. Perhaps this weekend.

Darryl

19. Nostaljack

No clue why people were so derisive of them. I never took those who were seriously at all. They were very musical. Karen's voice is one of the best that's ever been. Those harmonies Richard came up with were far more influential than most realize. Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis and Boyz II Men were tremendously influenced by those block harmonies Richard flawlessly arranged.

Ed

Grant and zebop like this.
  20. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

I do not have that album. But I do have too many greatest hits comps in various digital formats to keep track of. Her voice kills. And the arrangements do as well. I keep falling for the "this is the best I've ever heard it" reviews. No complaints.

21. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

There was a huge divide between AM and FM music then and the Carpenters were decidedly AM.
    Pleasant and non-threatening.
    They were MOR when the counter culture was exploding. I don't think this is news to anybody.
    Maybe you had to be there. Maybe you were ...

I think that your musical preferences are not created in a vacuum and are influenced by many things.
    Your peers, what is going on culturally, when you came of age, family, even which way you lean politically influence what you like.
    This things all conspired to help form my view that the Carpenters were bland and boring while being technically just fine with Karen having that incredibly beautiful voice.

I understand that the music you like is purely subjective. Different strokes for different folks. I respect that.
    If you liked Barry Manilow or Tony Orlando you probably loved the Carpenters.
    I didn't ...

Marvin likes this.
  22. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I have a copy of "Offering" which was re-released as "Ticket To Ride"

[​IMG]

HGN2001 and Grant like this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Interesting group. Imo, I think they only have one really solid, classic album with Horizon (not a single bad song, rare for any album), and a good, fun album in Now and Then, but pretty disjointed with styles all over the map, from Sing to sixties, fun remakes, to This Masquerade. Frankly, aside from those two albums, I just don't think they made great albums, they made a lot of outstanding singles, though the production is outstanding on most of their songs and production is something that is enough to compell me to enjoy an album. Kinda like the Bee Gees, my favorite group...great singles, but not very many consistent albums. And yet, I own all The Carpenters catalogue on vinyl, and happy I do. A solid compilation is probably all most people really need.

24. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I had the cassette back the day. It's a nice collection, though 1969-1973 is stronger.

Not sure if 1974-1978 is still in print. You're right, it was a very successful album here. Now, there are so many Carpenters comps, I bet you could find a better value one than 1974-1978.

25. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The 'nun' cover.:D

kenbefound likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.