New Tedeschi Trucks Band album, "Let Me Get By", on Concord Records (01/29/2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. By the way, the vinyl inner sleeves show a real tape machine, so was this recorded analog? And is the vinyl by any chance maybe AAA?

2. MorrisonsLament

MorrisonsLament Active Member

The liner notes for the deluxe version mention a vintage Neve console, tube amps, etc that they put in their backyard studio.

3. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I think he just gets totally absorbed in the music. When you're pouring your soul into playing, well, that's enough for me.

4. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Oh he's as into his music as he possibly could. The most amazing player I've personally seen since SRV.

PHILLYQ likes this.
  5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

6. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

After reading this thread(and now having a job!), I ordered it.

oneway23 and Skydogg like this.
  7. kman

kman Forum Resident

You will not be disappointed

PHILLYQ likes this.
  8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes, I got the deluxe edition. Good album, okay sound. I don't particularly have a problem with the softness or muddiness that others mention (although I agree with that description). My problem is that if they had backed off on the compression a bit (in the mix and/or mastering), the extra energy would have offset the muddiness.

The compression isn't terrible - and frankly passes for dynamic these days. If I had to guess I'd say the DR numbers are neither terrible nor great.

oneway23 likes this.
  9. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Can you post the deadwax of the LP please!

JG

10. I have to check again (put the LP away for the moment). There were all machine stamped numbers and maybe a few letters, relatively small font.

11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I downloaded the standard version via Pono Store, after streaming it a couple of times. Because the bonus tracks are CD quality only, and I was only interested in the three live ones, I purchased them from iTunes to save a small bit of $$$.

Love the music, though I've had some trouble with the files cutting in and out. Something is wrong either with the files or the download went bad. Regardless I punched a support ticket with Pono with the anticipation that it will be resolved. If anyone else has similar technical difficulty I'd be curious about how your experience.

12. thewho

thewho Forum Resident

Good stuff, an improvement over Revelator and Made Up Mind I think. A little looser sounding, for the better!

Olompali and JLPMacca like this.
  13. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

A great album. Maybe their best. The sound, to my ears, is pretty good on the cd.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The bonus tracks were 24/48 at HDTracks, not 16/44 CD quality.

I had no issues like you describe.

15. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I would like to have the vinyl, especially since it is pressed at RTI. But for now I bought the deluxe CD package for the bonus tracks.

I also need to decide between a CD and Vinyl copy of their Live album. I've been listening to the live album via Amazon streaming and love it.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

FWIW, the hi-rez of the live album is 24/48...I assume the LP was cut from this source (vs 16/44). And my guess would be that the vinyl was probably cut straight from the hi-rez digital master, but I don't know that for certain. There's nothing in the DR database for any format with this album to confirm my speculation.

[Note: Having said that, the DR's on the vinyl and CD of Revelator are just different enough that they might have been a different mastering -- but probably not]

Subvet and Skydogg like this.
  17. Demitri

Demitri Forum Resident

I was very disappointed to see Will Hermes of Rolling Stone give this album a 3 out of 5 star review with only ONE paragraph. Very lazy review of one of the hardest working pure bands on the circuit today.

TTB are far too big of a treasure in this era of sloppy tech needy "artists" to discard with such a short researched effort. They deserve better or at least better effort from those who's job it is to tilt the spotlight in their direction.

Shame on him.

18. Skydogg

Skydogg Well-Known Member

That is disappointing. Allmusic's Thom Jurek offers a fine review and gives it 4.5 stars. Which, for allmusic, is very high for a recording by someone who isn't dead.

Let Me Get By - Tedeschi Trucks Band | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic ยป

19. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I haven't read this particular review, but I'd hardly fault Hermes himself for how drastically Rolling Stone keeps cutting the length and space for their reviews. Knowing what I've read from him before I'm sure he started with a more thoughtful, nuanced review before it got hacked to bits to fit in Rolling Stone's criminally small space for it. Of course, I still haven't read it, so I won't comment on what he may specifically say about this record.

20. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I`m still waiting for the S.E. to arrive but I`m tempted to get the vinyl.

Derek Trucks is an amazing musician you colonials should be proud of, :righton:

kman and Skydogg like this.
  21. I have read somewhere that this album was indeed recorded analog, but I don't know if it was mixed and mastered (for vinyl) on all analog equipment, or if it was put into digital at some point of the recording/mixing/mastering process. Anbody have any info on this?

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The hi-Rez of the new album is 24/88 which might imply it was analog to DSD and then to PCM for distribution.

Or it might not imply that..

23. GuidedByJonO)))

Picked up the deluxe version of this the other day, hoping it might be the studio TTB that finally convinces me. But, no, not really. I'm glad I picked up the deluxe version though, those three live tracks are probably what I'll return to the most. I realize this is just me and my tastes (not anything TTB is doing wrong), but I find their studio work to be disappointingly sterile and safe. Not in the terms of the recording, just more in the execution. Outside of Tedeschi's voice, the draw for me here is Trucks. Unfortunately, this record might have you believe he's a very talented, yet restrained guitarist. I vastly prefer the grit and presence he has in the live recordings (Everyone's Talkin' will still remain my most reached for TTB release). I get that it's tough to capture the balance of a 12 piece band in the studio, but I feel like this just neuters one of the band's most powerful forces. Again, that's the nature of this project and I get why people love this, but I'll just keep holding out for the next live album.

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If anything, I think he tends to overplay at times. For the most part, it works live, but I'd actually like to seem him exercise more restraint in the studio. You should what needs to be said (not just what can be said) and no more in the studio.

25. GuidedByJonO)))

I still need to give it another listen, but I never really felt like he was overplaying. If anything, I was hoping for his solos to be a little longer, or at least not so relatively low in the mix. But like I said, he's what drew me to the band in the first place and I'd love to hear more of him. I get that this project clearly has other aims, so it just might not be the right fit for me personally.

Skydogg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.