For Those Who Love The CD But Have Limited Space; How Do You Control Your Collection/Buying Habits

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Man, I can't put them in poly sleeves. I just can't. I love looking at the spines of my cd's in my wood shelves. If I took them out of the cases, I couldn't get those visual goodies. Grouping them on my shelves gives to much pleasure to my eyes.

Who'sTommy, ARK, The Pinhead and 8 others like this.
  2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I have a room in the house that once was a dining room with two closets in it.

Almost full to capacity, floor to ceiling, with the lone window practically covered up. All my records, tapes and CDs are stored there in their respective packages, which are intact. It's neat and clean and orderly, but it's damn near full. Closets included. My non-music DVDs are in there, too. (The music DVDs and Blu-ray Discs are in the music room with my instruments. It just worked out that way.)

lightbulb likes this.
  3. stopbrickwalling

stopbrickwalling Forum Resident

Amazon has them under "Venture Horizon Revolving Media Tower" here. Can you get them thru Amazon over there?

Amazon.com: Venture Horizon Revolving Media Tower Grande - Cherry: Furniture & Decor »

4. stopbrickwalling

stopbrickwalling Forum Resident

Another brand is Prepac.

5. No multiple copies where I can avoid it. If it comes down to bonus tracks, I'll rip the ones I'm missing and get ride of the other one. I don't care about packaging variations anymore. If I can't sell them, I give them to others.

jl151080 likes this.
  6. goer

goer Forum Resident

stopbrickwalling likes this.
  7. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

I have 2 methods. Throw out the jewel boxes and stuff everything into large binders. Or I digitized the CD and sold it to a 2nd hand store.

8. Graham

Graham Senior Member

9. ALB123

ALB123 Forum Resident

Due to health issues, I no longer have much storage room. One of the first things I had to slim down was my media. I had already been going the digital route since MP3s first hit the scene, but there is something very pleasing about owning the physical copy of the CD or even better the Vinyl copy of the record. It's nice to see CDs arranged in a particular order - the more the merrier. Unfortunately, because of my situation I gave away 80%+ of my CD collection to friends. I really only kept my most favorite artists and special editions like MSFL or 24kt Gold CDs.

In fact, I just finally ordered The Wall, Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon Immersion Editions last week. All three came in on Friday and I'm not even planning on opening them up right now. I've just stacked them on my shelf, not because I'm planning on keeping them sealed forever, or anything like that. I just don't have the space and I already ripped a copy of everything from my friend's Immersion editions to HDD. It's nice to have several TeraBytes of music networked throughout my house, but I also subscribe to Google Music for the convenience factor when travelling or listening to something that isn't in my physical or digital collection.

So, my buying habits have been greatly impacted by space but even more so by digital convenience. Though, digital will never completely replace my collection of physical media. There is something so satisfying about placing that needle onto a vinyl record, or even loading a CD when you have time to give 100% attention to the music.

PhantomStranger and yesstiles like this.
  10. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I tried for awhile to limit my CD buying for lack of space, but in the last few months I've pretty much given up .

Never been happier...:)

TonyACT likes this.
  11. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

If you have the space for your collection there's no reason to consider the change. I felt sick about abandoning the jewel cases, but living in a tight NYC apartment and having a serious music jones... I had to do something.

In the end, I've found that I really like the poly sleeves. The first thing I do when I get a new CD is to take it out of the jewel case and put it into a Jazzloft sleeve. If I procrastinate, I get an icky feeling when I see the jewel cases sullying up the new arrivals pile. It's strange, but I've really grown to dislike jewel cases. I have no problem with cardboard sleeves and digipaks however.

garymc likes this.
  12. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

Also, I can visually scan all the spines and pick something to play that might not have come into my mind if all the CDs were 'invisible' in their poly sleeves.

TonyACT and yesstiles like this.
  13. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member Thread Starter

What is your plan when the room is full?

rstamberg likes this.
  14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I currently rent out the duplex upstairs ...

billnunan, TonyACT and jl151080 like this.
  15. AKA

AKA Senior Member

In my case, being ridiculously poor helps. :)

Imagine70, rstamberg and strummer101 like this.
  16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

:-popcorn:
    You'll be sorry :cheers:

rstamberg likes this.
  17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I remember having a case made to hold 700 CDs thinking I would never fill it...wrong again

18. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Still curious if anyone out there is using the combination of the spinning racks and the jewel sleeves...

19. Nomas

Nomas Forum Resident

My wife doesn't have a collecting bone in her body so she doesn't understand the passion. I collect bootlegs also, which just adds to the mess. My home office is full of music. I lost count of the number of discs I have years ago. I went thru the spinning racks real fast. Gave them all away. I have a custom cabinet with 5 drawers which fits about 1500 jewel cases. I got rid of the jewel cases and went to custom sleeves which hold artwork also. The sleeves got too expensive. The cabinet is full, maybe 3k discs in it. I have a load of paper sleeves of discs in cut down apple boxes, maybe 6 boxes of those stacked in a corner. I have 7 case logic binders which hold about 500 discs each of boots from 3 artists only. A few more case logics with dvds only. On top of that, about 8TB of music on external HDs(no mp3s). One day I will have to get rid of duplicate discs that are on the HDs already. I used to trade boots pretty heavily many years ago. Out of necessity, I've started to take inventory of my music. The thing killing me now is hi-rez music which takes up a lot of memory.

susyredstripe likes this.
  20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I keep it down to one wife and no kids...............:laugh:

ARK and Runicen like this.
  21. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

My collection hasn't been in any sort of proper order for many years now. I have to rely on my memory for what I think I already own. When I finally get around to reorganizing my collection I'm afraid of how many duplicates (different pressings aside) I'm going to discover.

22. What is this "control" everyone keeps speaking of...:whistle:

Runicen, garymc and Craig like this.
  23. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

Every time I tell myself that I'm going to cut back on buying new music (CDs), I get lured back in. I think to myself, "I may only listen to this CD once or twice, so why purchase". Then I think, "heck, I'd pay 5 times the cost of the CD for a single concert ticket without even thinking, so the CD is actually a bargain, even if I only listen to it once." Thus the collection keeps growing!

ARK likes this.
  24. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

I ditch the jewel cases and put the CDs (including all artwork) in resealable mylar sleeves. The hard part was finding a recycling place that could/would handle a couple thousand jewel cases.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

these days I am very selective in my music buying...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.