What are the last 5 LP's (Vinyl) you bought? (and, if you like, why?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andy Smith, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I been listening to lot's of jazz funk, these are some of the latest records I bought. I really enjoy this style of music from the early 70's.

2. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

on vinyl, and not counting albums I have preordered (such as Iggy Pop, Weezer and Pet Shop Boys)

Pet Shop Boys - Elysium (had a Barnes and Noble 20% off coupon and figured to get it to add to the collection even though I wasn't crazy about the album, but as I have the new album on preorder, I may as well get it while the vinyl is still in print so there isn't a gaping gap in my collection between Yes and Electric)
    Toto - Toto IV (for 50 cents I couldn't pass it up)
    Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record (2012 MOV release, saw it sealed for $10 at Half Price Books and decided to pick it up since I only have Out Of The Blue and the new album on vinyl and figured it would be a good time)
    Police - Zenyatta Mondata ($6 at Half Price Books.... trying to build up more of a collection on vinyl and decided why not?)
    Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town (basically same as with the Police)

3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Jethro Tull-Living In The Past (pre-order)
    Sugar Stems-Only Come Out At Night
    Sugar Stems-Can't Wait
    Grant Green-Talkin' About
    Grant Green-Solid

Sugar Stems is a great power-pop band from Milwaukee.
    Grant Green is my favorite jazz guitarist.

mooseman likes this.
  4. peter1

peter1 Now things are looking up!

Odd coincidence to see this thread today, since I just dropped in at Rasputin's in Berkeley, CA and trawled through the $1 bins and bought the following records (or LPs or even vinyls if you prefer):
    • Pres and Teddy on American Recording Socieity (ARS G 417)
    • Crosscurrents with Lennie Tristano, Buddy Defranco et al. (Capitol M 11060)
    • Nikolai Ghiaurov Sings Scenes from Verdi (London OS 26146)
    • Donizetti's Poliuto Highlights with Callas, Corelli and Bastianini (I Gioiello Della Lirica 23)
    • Russell Hoban's The Mouse and His Child with Peter Ustiov (Caedmon TC 1550) -- this one because I'm trying to get my grandkids used to listening to records (or maybe they'll call them vinyls).

5. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident

Beatles mono box
    Pentangle - Cruel Sister
    Paul McCartney - Press to Play
    Waterboys - This is the Sea
    Lloyd Cole & the Commotions - Mainstream
    Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit (unfortunately, side 2 is a mispress & contains some solo piano pieces instead of White Collar Boy etc)
    Gordon Lightfoot - Early Lightfoot

I know that's 7, but I bought them all at the same time.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Rock n roll with The Modern Lovers
    German 80s pressing.
    Why ? Jonathan Richman fan.
    Reality ~ Second Hand
    2008 pressing.
    Why ? Classic album.
    Streetnoise - Brian Auger/Julie Driscoll
    Karousll 70s pressing.
    Why? Great music/ vocals.
    Best Of Barry Ryan
    Brunswick 70s hits album.
    Why ? Great pop songs.
    David Bowie: The Lodger
    RCA German sticker pressing.
    Why ? David Bowie ...respect.

7. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Overriding reason for purchase: Charity shops, excellent condition, $1-2, so if the record or pressing is not to my taste, it's a donation to charity and they will probably get to sell the disk again.

• Scott Joplin: Greatest Hits [Rainbow/Philips] - I am partial to ragtime, and these are recordings from Joplin's piano roll recordings, licenced from Biograph. Three tracks are "origianl mono recordings" so I'm not sure of the recording heritage.

• JS Bach: Triple concerto in A Minor / F Major [World Record Club release of the Erato recording] - Bought this for the F Major side, as it features recorder in a similar instrumental consort to the Brandenburg's.

• Jim Jenen's Hawaiians: Hawaiian Dance Party 2 [W+G] - Some great Hawaiian music was produced in Aust/NZ. Plus I also have Vol.1.

• The Clemencic Consort: Ancient Dances of Hungary and Transylvania [World Record Club release of the Harmonia Mundi recording] - I like early instrumental music, and the instrumentation includes lots of wind instruments which I prefer to strings/lutes.

• Musik Aus Der Kreuzfahrerzeit: Music From the Time of the Crusaders (CBS) - same as the previous, except that this one features lots of shawms - I love those double-reeds.

Church Bells [CBS CLP1441] - Mono pressing, from the early 50's I would guess from the disk and sleeve. Purely bought as a curio.

8. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

C Duncan -Architect (beautiful debut from Glasgow multi-instrumentalist)
    Sonic Youth - Dirty (picked up the recent reissue)
    Saint Etienne - So Tough (found it second hand)
    Felt - Forever Breathes the Lonely Word (One of my favourites, bought from Discogs)
    Badfinger - Straight Up (Korean press, in mint condition, got it off Ebay)

9. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Little River Band - Playing To Win
    Dust - Hard Attack
    Poison - Awakening Of The Dead
    Panta Rhei - Die frühen Jahre
    Frida - Something's Going On

Why ? Because I always like to listen to different styles in music :)

10. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I have that last one - pretty decent and essential for Phil Collins fans/completists. :thumbsup:

11. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Most recent LPs are:

Dire Straits - Communiqué - I bought it because it has a bad wrap. But I wanted to hear if the rumors about it were true. And boy they are very false. This album is absolutely fantastic, somber, quiet, and moody. Everything I want in a "home LP." I initially bought it on disc, but I ran across the LP in the discount bin, and many people here were raving about the original pressings were mastered so well from the start. And I would agree. Money well spent.

Lianne La Havas - Blood - Well, I got this one because Lianne is amazing. But what really stood out to me was the price. Firstly, the company could have easily spread the album out over 2LP just to make more cash, but they didn't. It's a single LP. And, the cover is textured. There was thought about the design. It wasn't just pressed or no reason. And, for a modern pressing, this album sounds great on wax. For only 17EUR (a far cry from the 30EUR most bands want nowadays), it was a great purchase.

La Roux - Trouble in Paradise - I just love that album work, and I wanted to support Elly Jackson. This album is fire, although I admit I haven't given it enough listens to determine whether or not it's a good pressing.

Mylene Farmer - Anamorphosee (Picture Disc) - I bought it because Mylene is extremely different to locate outside of French-speaking regions. I once travelled to France and to Geneva solely to buy her albums. When I was in Luxemburg with my partner, I made it a point to find some stuff. This was an album I was missing, and even thought it's a picture disc, I couldn't pass it up. It's a re-press and a picture disc, so it's not the greatest sound quality, but still nice to have.

Neufundland - Neufundland EP - An indie-band from Cologne. I saw them open for Thees Uhlmann and fell in love with them. It was a little pricey, but it's always good to support new talent. And the pressing was very well made.

12. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

More than 5 combined....but the latest purchases. All great except 'Blackstar'. Terrible sounding 2nd press of this LP.

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow MFSL.
    Beatles - Stereo Box
    Bowie - Blackstar
    Beach Boys - AP's latest batch of Stereo's & Mono's

DeRosa likes this.
  13. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Bought these in a couple of 'batches' so didn't cheat and be selective... there are a few over the odds. Somewhat. :) All used, except the last two:

Adam & The Ants - Dirk Wears White Sox
    Blondie - Blondie
    Blondie - Plastic Letters
    Blondie - Eat To The Beat
    Louis Armstrong - In New York With The Red Onion Jazz Babies (1924/1925 recordings)
    Cliff Richard - Live At The Talk Of The Town
    Cliff Richard - Now You See Me... Now You Don't

The Beatles - Please Please Me (2012 Stereo)
    The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (2014 Mono)

It's ages since I posted in here but I've not been finding anything much recently. The ball started to roll again when I had a bit of luck with the A&TA/Blondie... got all them together for £5.50, including the Louis one - I'm a fan and have a nice amount of his recordings but had not heard of him with those guys. Nice!

Started listening to much more of Cliff these days and buying lots by him and the Shads - always liked 'em but it often pays to dig far deeper than the hits (which can be said of most or any artists.)

I thought it's about time I got PPM in stereo as only had the mono CD and I think the ballads on there sound very nice, more 'open.' I already have a first press Pepper mono but it's sooo scratched and wasn't the most pleasant listen with a 'tick' through half of side two. It's not arrived yet and I got sent the wrong item, at first - so fingers crossed.

14. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Something like this ...

Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus - Beauty Will Save the World
    This is their their first full-length record in over 20 years, so enchanting, such a good record, really deserves some more attention. Similarities to Godspeed You Black Emperor, though probably more the other way around, and some of it does echo back to Eno (as does GYBE), and there's the Dead Can Dance reflections, especially in some of the middle eastern sound, and Swans from the 90s context. Really nice sounding record too, good dynamic range, I actually just got the vinyl a few days ago but the digital sounds fine too. Highly recommended. NPR did a nice piece on it last year ... Songs We Love: The Revolutionary Army Of The Infant Jesus »

Anna von Hausswolff - The Miraculous
    This, along with the one above, were my two favorite records from 2015. Dark and heavy, but also uplifting, the 9000-pipe church organ gives it an immense perspective, a merging of post-rock, metal, prog, modern classical, and even church music. Some similarities at times to Nico, dark and at times beautiful, and sometimes a little ugly too, great record.

David Bowie - Blackstar
    Like almost everyone else here, I ordered the clear vinyl from B&N the day after release based on all the glowing reports, fortunately they weren't sold out yet, and we all know what happened next. Not much else needs to be said, will surely go down as the final triumph from one of the greatest music artists of our time.

Red Red Meat - Bunny Gets Paid
    Just got the Bunny Gets Paid vinyl issue (first time) from 1995 in the mail from Califone Music about a week ago, looking forward to spending some time with it, great stuff, these Red Red Meat/Loftus reissues on Jealous Butcher have been the best. Listen to it all the time. 20 years old now, but coulda been yesterday. Just a very cool and hypnotic wall of fuzzed out guitars, with some bluesy vibrato and sliding acoustic and lots of colorful effects. Kind of Exile-era Stones mashed up with Giant Sand or Yo La Tengo, and a dash of Wilco on the side. Discovered it through my love of Califone back at the start of the 2000s, heading back to their roots. Also picked up their final record last year, There's a Star Above the Manger Tonight, another long time favorite making it's first trip to vinyl.

Michael Head and the Strands - The Magical World of the Strands
    The 2015 reissue of this perfectly titled classic from 1997 was a no-brainer for a huge fan like myself, long OOP and who knows how long before it goes back out of print. Timeless music from one of the best songwriters of the modern pop era. Beautiful 180g vinyl with big booklet (though maybe a bit pricey, shop around and you can get it for a decent price), or a reissue of the original 1997 HDCD digital (with PE), including two non-HDCD bonus tracks that were previously issued. So the only nitpick is that more bonus material wasn't included on the reissue, although a second album was supposed to be available called The Olde World that collects the outtakes and alternate versions, and preliminary reviews last year indicated it is a great companion record, but sadly is stuck in some crazy release limbo and we may not even see it now. Huge disappointment if that happens, but this record is extremely recommended, regardless of your format choice.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    Ivand likes this.
  15. zen

zen Senior Member

5 LP's from Milton Brown & his Musical Brownies

:thumbsup: Western Swing 1934
    :thumbsup: Pioneer Western Swing 1935-36 - Collectibles
    :thumbsup: Dance-O-Rama vol. 1
    :thumbsup: Easy Ridin' Papa
    :thumbsup: Taking Off

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  16. Tom Ellis

Tom Ellis New Member

Jackie Brown - 2016 reissue on yellow vinyl

Hammer Presents Dracula - 2014 gatefold, limited edition reissue (500 units)

First Choice - Armed And Extremely Dangerous - 1973

The Innocence Mission - Hello I Feel The Same - 2015 limited edition green vinyl

Diamanda Galas - Malediction And Prayer - 1998 2LP gatefold

17. RHCD

RHCD Reverend Bong

A whole pile of Melodiya records of Mravinsky conducting Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and Shostakovich: made in the USSR, labelled almost entirely in Cyrillic and priced, according to the sleeves, at 1 rouble 25 kopeks each.

18. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff...... Thread Starter

I had that Jason & the Scorchers album on cassette. No idea whatever happened to it. Probably in a bag in the loft. I quite liked it too. I might have to download it again as it's easier to do that than attempt to climb into the loft with my dodgy knees....

troggy likes this.
  19. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Another batch this afternoon...

Traneing In - John Coltrane
    The Rites Of Diablo - Johnny Richards
    Red Garland - All Kinds Of Weather
    Chico Hamilton Quartet - Featuring Buddy Collette
    Art Blakey - Self titled
    Christy Moore - King Puck
    Stan Getz & Eddie Sauter - Focus
    Fairport Convention - Moat On The Ledge (Live at Broughton Castle 1981)

20. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff...... Thread Starter

My original thread title included all vinyl as I'd picked up a selection of LPs, 7" & 12" singles that day (see OP). However, somebody felt the title had to be changed....

21. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Last 5 were:

Edie brickell and new bohemians - shooting rubber bands at the stars

Alice cooper - welcome to my nightmare

Queen - queen ii

Air - moon safari

Radiohead - ok computer

jon9091 and theshape like this.
  22. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Who were giving Communique a bad rap?? It may not be Dire Straits' best album, but it's a really good album with some great songs.

23. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

I saw it popping up in the "Albums you like but others hate" thread, and I've read some less-than-enthusiastic reviews of it. Imagine my surprise when I fell in love with it almost immediately.

24. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

Kurt Vile - B'lieve I'm Goin Down...
    Deer Tick - Divine Providence
    Neil Young - Live at the Cellar Door
    Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
    Bright Eyes - Digital Ash In A Digital Urn

These are albums I've been interested in for awhile. 30% off GoHastings sale yesterday made it really easy to pull the trigger on these.

25. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Les McCann & Eddie Harris - "Swiss Movement" (new Rhino)
    Procol Harum - "Broken Barricades" (white label promo $6 !!)
    After much hemming and hawing I broke down and bought that Neil Young 2nd original album series box.
    I found one new for $130. I know ... it's too much.
    I had just listened to my aging "On the Beach" and I love it so much that in a moment of weakness the money for the box seemed worth it.
    I'll let you know when the fog clears if it was worth it.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.