Singles dramatically different from the album version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TSmithPage, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waterface

waterface Forum Resident

The Kinks - Mirror Of Love and Nick Lowe - Cruel To Be Kind

2. waterface

waterface Forum Resident

The video for Tom Petty & The HB's Into The Great Wide Open has a longer guitar solo in the middle

3. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

The Byrds - Chestnut Mare.
    As a lover of that original 45 it came as a surprise when I bought a '1971 hits' cd many years later and discovered the long 'trippy' passage in the middle!

4. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident

I think Mott the Hoople's "One of the Boys" is an interesting example. There's the long LP version that has a middle part where there is the sound of the a telephone being dialed and then the music is mixed way down to sound like it's coming from the telephone speaker and then slowly fades back in. There's a short 45 version that edits the whole middle section out. But, there is also a middle length version that was the B-side of "All The Young dudes" that takes out the telephone dialing but leaves in the part that was obscured by the fade. This part is now mixed up at the same level as the rest of the music. Not a completely different version but interesting.

5. Dave Redford

Dave Redford Well-Known Member

Roadrunner by The Modern Lovers.

Think there are around 10 versions in total, but the definitive one was not on The Modern Lovers album, but released as a single, Roadrunner (Twice), in 1974.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

in-a-gadda-da-vida

7. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

The big one for me is "Rock The Casbah". The single edit blows the wimpy album version right out of the water. Much better mix, that prolonged scream... yeah. One that I don't mind is "White Riot", because I hate the single version and I think the album version is much better. I still don't really like the song though.

I also don't really like the out-of-tune 12x5 version of "Time Is On My Side", even though the single version did eventually end up on an album.

8. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Yeah, I dig the 'Bing Crosby' intro on the stereo LP version too, but Marriott's picked guitar arpeggios
    during the verses are too "buried" for my taste. The mono LP version is probably the best compromise
    as it has the acoustic intro AND the hotter guitar mix.

chronic kebab likes this.
  9. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Also, the single version of Stop Your Sobbing is a completely different, earlier take (it's much slower in pace) but it's b-side, The Wait, is faster than the album version and sounds even more aggressive.

Lost In The Flood and Bosch like this.
  10. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

These are the first two that came to mind for me. However, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" is essentially the same song just chopped much shorter, whereas the versions of "Revolution" sounds radically different.

11. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

Mono every time!

12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the single version of "one vision" has a shorter intro and outro. its about 1 minute shorter.

more queen singles. some of these had longer video mixes and extended "12 mixes

"a kind of magic" has 2 different versions. the highlander film version and the album/single version

"friends will be friends" has several different versions

"pain is so close to pleasure" has 3 different versions

"who wants to live forever" has 3 different versions

"invisible man" has 3 different versions

13. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

I only chanced upon this today, having known the album version for at least 30 years. I'd never even heard there was an alternate version.

This is way superior - the vocal is far more tender and sympathetic.

I had this song on a 45, with a picture sleeve, years ago, but it certainly wasn't this version - it was the standard LP version with the intro chopped.

It appears there were two issues with different mixes, 1) the flop 45 in 1971, 2) the reissued 45 which was a major chart hit in 1972.

Amazing, just when you think you've heard everything!

Was this version ever re-issued?

varitone likes this.
  14. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

It's on The Charisma Years 1970-1973, where it's called US mix.

downer likes this.
  15. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

I shall grab it forthwith. Thankyou!

16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Have I missed it or can I be the first to post Get Back?

17. Waldo1

Waldo1 Forum Resident

Roxy Music's Angel Eyes.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  18. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

The single version of I Can See For Miles has a more prominent bass throughout the song which is different from the version on The Who Sell Out. I was hoping this version would be used in the Track Singles box set released last year but alas it was the album version. And this single's b-side in the US (Mary Anne With The Shaky Hands) is totally a different version from the album version. Also the US singles The Real Me and Love Reign O'er Me both have finished endings as opposed to the fade outs used on the album Quadrophenia. And the UK single 5.15 doesn't have the train station chatter and whistle heard at the beginning of the song on the album.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  19. CMcGeek

CMcGeek Loves records maybe too much

"Memory of A Free Festival" by Bowie

Nick Dunning likes this.
  20. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

The Chambers Bros "Time Has Come Today" is an early example.

21. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"Day Is Done" by Peter, Paul and Mary was a completely different recording on 45 compared to the LP version on Peter, Paul and Mommy. The single version is probably the more familiar because it's on the Ten Years Together best-of.

"Ain't It Funny" by Jennifer Lopez was so radically different in its "remix" single version with Ja Rule that it might as well have been a different song with the same name. The superior album version has a "La Isla Bonita" vibe to it.

The single version of Emmylou Harris' classic Christmas song "Light of the Stable" has 25 extra seconds of music compared to the common album version. Both versions are otherwise the same recording.

The single version of "I Am a Rock" by Simon & Garfunkel has a different vocal take from the album version.

The same is true of "The Way We Were" by Barbra Streisand.

The same is also true of "Goldfinger" by Shirley Bassey.

And it's true of "Help!" by the Beatles.

22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Ian McCulloch-Candleland
    OMD-Messages
    James-We're Going To Miss You
    Lush-Nothing Natural
    Lush-For Love
    Lush-Superblast!
    Moby-Slipping Away
    New Order-Bizarre Love Triangle

23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Also worth noting: The sax on the original "Start" was David Jackson of Van der Graaf Generator, who didn't wind up appearing on any other Gabriel tracks.

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember the "Nothing Natural" EP version was missing a guitar solo compared to Spooky.

I didn't notice differences on "For Love" on the EP (although there could have been some) but it had a version of "Starlust" that appeared two years later in Split in a different mix. I saw them play that live in 92.

c-eling likes this.
  25. putney_swope

putney_swope Forum Resident

One that's always stuck out for me is New Order's "The Perfect Kiss". I'm pretty sure it was the first time a single of theirs had ever appeared on an album, and the version on Low-Life is about half of the 9 minute single mix. Where not only the instrumental parts were shortened drastically, but the entire third verse was removed. Even the single mix on Substance was trimmed of around a minute towards the end.

Lost In The Flood and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.