One of the best albums of all time? Divine Comedy - Promenade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chrischrischris, Feb 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrischrischris

chrischrischris Forum Resident Thread Starter

Divine Comedy (aka: Neil Haanon) released Promenade in 1994 and it bombed amid the UK 'Britpop' wave of guitar music.

Listening again tonight it has stood the test of time more than any of the other artists around at the time.

Hannon's intelligent lyrics, Scott Walker-esque vocals and stunning Brian Wilson-ish grasp of melody and orchestral dramatic chord sequences are (to me) beyond compare.

For me, this album has every right to sit aside Pet Sounds. A forgotten masterpiece, excuisite music and lyrics that effortlessly swing from theology to seafood and drunken abandon.

An album that has truly slipped past the radar.

If you love music this is for you. As far as I'm concerned one of the best albums of all time.

Here's a snippet: A live version of Tonight We Fly -

And here's the album: http://youtu.be/eRiLbVC-7Bw

2. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Joke thread, right?

I found Neil Hannon's voice incredibly irritating back in The Divine Comedy's heyday, managed to avoid him for probably 20 years, so just gave another listen to see if my memory is playing tricks on me, but alas no.

'Scott Walker-esque vocals'. :shake:

I love music, I truly do, but if this was all that was on offer, I'd give up.

chrischrischris likes this.
  3. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

It's a brilliant album, although I tend to merge this one and the previous album Liberation together in my head as I bought them at the same time and they have such similar covers. However I think the follow-up Casanova is their (his) masterpiece, it still stands up as one of the best albums of the 90s.

4. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

His first LP Fanfare For The Comic Muse is muck. I sold my copy after a week.

5. chrischrischris

Thankfully, it's not all that's on offer so it can be enjoyed as a great album. I love it.

6. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

I like Divine Comedy, I've spent a long time listening to his cds. But bring it to the level of Pet Sounds is a bit too much IMHO.

I still have a live concert somewhere in a tape recorded on a French radio station and still should listen to Casanova (I stopped listening to the Neil Hannon with Promenade and well... my discovery of the Beach Boys and The Smile wizardry that didn't stop until now. Well those were my middles of the 90's).

It was like meeting the mentors after having listened to the disciples.

But thank you for your live youtube excerpt : it brings back nice memories of a nice tune !
    Will dive back into Promenade, my Bowie break !

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    chrischrischris likes this.
  7. chrischrischris

As a songwriter, on Promenade, I would easily put Neil Hannon in the same league as Brian Wilson.

Almost classical chord progressions; absurd, yet touchingly beautiful lyrics; surreal and poignant arrangements. An album that hits in all the same musical and emotional places as Pet Sounds.

I could be wrong... (as I'm sure I'm about to discover...)

LivingForever likes this.
  8. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

All I’ve got is the excellent A Secret History... And “Gin-Soaked Boy” is one of the greatest pop songs I know.

therunner and chrischrischris like this.
  9. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I think Hannon would be the first to agree - he's pretty much disowned it hasn't he?

10. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Fantastic record. Better than any Blur LP and streets ahead of quite a few post-1971 Kinks albums IMO.

Surferghost likes this.
  11. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I really like the Divine Comedy - especially Casanova - but I think you are setting yourself up around here comparing Promenade to Pet Sounds right out of the gate. And I'm not even that big a fan of Pet Sounds myself (prefer Wild Honey or The Beach Boys Today!).

12. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Good on you. The first person to put Brian Wilson in the same league as Gerswhin was probably shot down in the flames. Audacious theories have to start somewhere.

Surferghost and LivingForever like this.
  13. Django

Django Forum Resident

I like 1 or 2 songs but I find the whole persona very annoying.
    He's probably a nice bloke though.

14. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

To me, the masterpiece will always be Liberation.
    Impossible to follow-up, but Neil was brave enough to go on.

rainbow dome likes this.
  15. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I think it is an excellent album, although totally different in style to his later albums, sounds a bit like early R.E.M. to me .But even if you didn't like it, you should have kept it , it is worth quite a bit of money these days
    http://www.discogs.com/The-Divine-Comedy-Fanfare-For-The-Comic-Muse/release/1210536

16. sonnyrock

sonnyrock Forum Resident

Have you heard it's B side, "My Lovely Horse"? Possibly the pinnacle of 20th century popular music. YMMV.

17. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

18. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Now that's hard to argue with.

"We have to lose that sax solo!"

Surferghost and LivingForever like this.
  19. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Please tell me that's true :)

20. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

His cover of Party Fears Two is worth a listen

21. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

I should get this. The only album I have is 'For Absent Friends' which is a superb thing.

22. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Well I'll be the first to absolutely agree with you. It's a constant in my top 5 albums of all time, and it's criminal how underrated this album in particular is (the acclaim started with "Casanova", which is very nearly as good in a different way.)

In fact, I don't think the "persona" that some people find annoying really started until Casanova, so I'd urge anyone to give "Promenade" a chance.

Surferghost likes this.
  23. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Yes, he never plays anything from it and seems to want to do a Mick Jones on it (Cut The Crap)

24. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

I know, although the value has come down a bit since peak demand (late 90s).

But back in the summer of 1990 when I purchased the album, getting my money back (IR£8) by selling it to a friend seemed like a good deal at the time. :)

On a side issue, early Setanta releases seem to be very hard to find on CD. I'm looking for Into Paradise's Under The Water for ages.

25. nedwho

nedwho Forum Resident

Very good album from a great 'band'. I'd lap up a Divine Comedy box set, with all the albums remastered with bonus tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.