The Monkees Good Times (1CD)-New 2016 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yellowballoon, Feb 4, 2016.

1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

If they don't take all his songs, it sure would be great if Andy did a Dukees album...

pablo fanques likes this.
  2. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Too late to edit so I just want to apologize if it doesn't play on all devices. I didn't realize there was a problem until after.

3. zen

zen Senior Member

:unhunh: You've never seen an angry monkey before?!

4. readr

readr Forum Resident

Hey, if Andy Partridge is finding his songwriting muse again writing for The Monkees, I say to him keep going and have The Monkees record on his album.....call it Better Times! If this is working, keep going. I'm hoping, as a Weezer fan, maybe this can work the same kind of magic on Rivers......cause lately, well....you know....things haven't been so awesome. We could use a little musing in the Weezer camp.

5. tentimesblue

tentimesblue Active Member

A couple of points:

So, supposedly they haven't recorded it yet. Does anyone know how to submit songs? Can you even imagine? The Monkees recording one of your songs!

Also, we're now on page 18 and this thread seems to be totally free of "real music" crusaders. Isn't anybody missing the "Why are people getting excited about a couple of has been actors?", "Manufactured boy-band rubbish", "chosen for a TV show" type posts? It looks like we won.

6. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

Wonder when they release the first single, You Bring The Summer, if it will have any additional songs with it?

Couple thoughts:
    • Sweet Young Thing (Live) - tour with Nez
      • Love this arrangement
    • Daydream Believer (Live) - tour with Nez
      • Micky, Peter, Mike sharing vocals
      • Fans may love this
    • A second Andy Partridge song he wrote for them, that may not make the album

izgoblin likes this.
  7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Don't know if many of you 'hard-core's know:
    Andy was a BIG Monkees fan!!!
    So big, infact, that he won a 'picture drawing' contest from the Monkees fan club....... as a kid, of course!

8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I can accept your not counting it as 70s. I thought you were not counting it as Monkees

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I've got a great Monkees tune. Who do I call :-?

10. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

And I thought I was the only one who was considering submitting a song!

Parlophony likes this.
  11. Parlophony

Parlophony Forum Resident

I thought about it too!

tentimesblue likes this.
  12. The guys of Supergass should submit a song.

13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Let's all make our own Monkees album with our own songs!

Keith V, Galley and tentimesblue like this.
  14. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

OK....just hit me like a ton of bricks, but....

why would we not be soliciting songs from Bobby Hart and Carole King, who single-handedly were responsible for the vast majority of the hits and memorable album tracks?

"Then & Now" had a new Hart track for the reunion: "Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere" (which, IMO, was stellar).

"Pool It" also had a new Hart track: "Long Way Home" (which was also serviceable).

Perhaps Andrew Howell is also available for a follow-up to "She's Moving In With Rico"???

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    Grand_Ennui likes this.
  15. I think we should be lobbying to have the guys write some more songs for the album. Esp Dolenz.

D-rock and PhoffiFozz like this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, and maybe playing all the songs themselves, as well. Maybe they could call the album Justus. And I'm sure it would be great.

17. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yes, I always love Micky's songs.

Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  18. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

For me, you just answered your own question. "Stellar" is not a term I'd use to describe "Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere".

Those songwriters' successful period was a very long time ago. I certainly get why they'd go with more modern songwriters on this album. But with that said, I wouldn't have used a nostalgia-heavy title like "Good Times" for the album in that case.

Unless the "Good Times" refer to current times, and even then, it's not a wise choice IMO given that one of their core members recently passed away.

19. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

David Jones passed away nearly 4 years ago. I'd hardly consider hat "recently". At any rate, the title and cover are supposed to represent the good times that Monkees fans have listening to their music.The album is supposed to be a mix of old and new, so nostalgia would be OK, at least to me.

Grand_Ennui, readr and D-rock like this.
  20. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

You say that, EWBAITE was a pretty decent LP, and the White Album is shaping up nicely.

I'm excited to see what Rivers' conjures up here.

21. King Edward

King Edward Well-Known Member

Am I the only one here who doesn't care for the songs of Andy Partridge and XTC? Am I supposed to be impressed by his songwriting? Show me something of his that gives any indication that he can write a good Monkees song?

22. You're right.What was I thinking? Somebody get Don Krischner back in charge. :rolleyes: And are you seriously dissing the idea of them performing their own instruments? In a Monkees thread? Did I miss how the musicianship on Justus was bad?Double :rolleyes:

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  23. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

Story is that they are using an unused Boyce/Hart tune as well as a Carole King tune. You need to listen to the interview with the guy from Rhino on the Zilch podcast.

Zilch!:A Monkees Podcast!: Zilch #49 "Good Times!" coming & Monkees news »

They talk a LOT about the new album as well as other plans for 2016. Apparently the goal is to sound like "Pisces...". Only thing I was looking to hear about that wasn't mentioned from Rhino was the "MOTM Super Deluxe Box Set".

Fandom Lenses, cwitt1980 and jfmlaugh like this.
  24. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

The goal is a timeless Monkee album. After "Pool It" and "Justus", they wisely put out the request for help. Micky is apparently very happy with the project.

I am especially interested to hear what Noel Gallagher/Paul Weller comes up with.

GOOD TIMES!
    Partial Track Listing (with songwriters noted)
    Final Version To Be Announced Soon

“Good Times!” (Harry Nilsson)
    “You Bring The Summer” (Andy Partridge)
    “Terrifying” (Zach Rogue)
    “Me & Magdalena” (Ben Gibbard)
    “She Makes Me Laugh” (Rivers Cuomo)
    “Love To Love” (Neil Diamond)
    “I Know What I Know” (Michael Nesmith)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  25. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

So it sounds like a mix of Neil Diamond, Nillson, Goffin/King, Boyce/Hart, some monkee originals, + some of today's most admired indie-pop songwriters? Sounds like the perfect mix for a Monkees album to me.

On a side note, anyone think Tork has a new original to contribute? Or will we get something he's released before. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a new version of Easy Rider.

PhoffiFozz, jfmlaugh and wayne66 like this.