NEW David Bowie album: Blackstar (January 8, 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Could you post a link please?

2. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

3. I think it's a comment about records in general. That they dont stay pristine. Not that his design necessarily starts destroying the LP.

ceddy10165 and scotth like this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

But are the USA represses defective like the Euro ones? Anyone bought a USA copy yet? PVC liner?

5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

That's what many think, but the damage done is far overstated.

Here is a cut Michael Fremer plays as a tribute to Dan Hicks (of Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks), who died last week. He says of this record:

"This record has been played countless times since 1971 so obviously, it's all worn out and noisy (etc.). Not. Video shot at 1080i with GoPro Hero3."

Dan Hicks R.I.P. »

6. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Same. Thick plastic inner is definitely not PVC.

Happy it finally arrived!

7. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

:cussing::tsk::laughup::thumbsdow:wtf:

JG

Beaneydave likes this.
  8. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

How often do you get a CD with decent mastering?

Peace and love :wave:

Solace and Bowie Fett like this.
  9. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

Nope. Like I said, Sound Gallery ordered this before Bowie died. Mine only has the 2015 date. And worth every penny.

10. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

So does the one I got from Amazon yesterday for $30

11. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I understand and respect your sentiments here. Really though, Bowie made this record most likely knowing it would be his last, likely in a lot of discomfort. I don't think he went to all that effort for it to sit on a shelf. If you could somehow channel him I'm sure he'd say something like, "Come on, just play the thing and see what you think. That's why I made it." Just a guess, but the best one I have.

12. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Just got my Amazon 2015 German pressing. Superb.

alan967tiger and sonofjim like this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not sure you understand, but 1) ordering LPs on a date is one thing, and 2) receiving them (on another date) is an entirely different thing. It made no differece when you ordered. When they ran out, they were out.

And I think I read that original have 2016, repress have 2015. I know backwards dating, but I think I read just that.

14. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Should not be more than 30 bucks. Price gouging!

quicksrt likes this.
  15. copter76

copter76 Forum Resident

As I said, USA repress is the same cover (2015 and no 2016) as the original press
    Only Europe repress have 2016 on cover...
    If you order it from today at amazon.com or buy it from today in any record store in the USA you will get the 2015 cover, but this not mean that it's a first pressing

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

My repress is flawless, flat as a pancake and no groove damage near the end of Side 1. No loud ticks or pops. I'm a happy camper.

17. Wah-Wah

Wah-Wah Well-Known Member

From Viscont's FB page:

Happy Valentine's Day! Here's something red to celebrate. The second pressing. It sounds fantastic on 180 gram vinyl. It should be available soon.

He is holding a test pressing from United.

Dave Decadent likes this.
  18. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Red vinyl?

19. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

I have to have a mini rant about the packaging now because I'm a little pee'd off! I didn't have any anti static sleeves to put mine in straight away so I had to really carefully slide my precious record in and out (finally picked up new sleeves at the weekend). It has scuffed the record no matter how carefully I've handled it. Now I've noticed the bottom prongs of the cut out have slight tears too where it has got caught on other records when removing and replacing. I almost wish I'd never opened it or at least kept it in the cellophane but I buy records to listen to and not keep as museum pieces. As a piece of art, it is stunning and makes a great statement but as a record to listen to, the packaging is a badly thought out. I still love it but every scuff is like a blade in the ears. I'm currently listening to my original Aladdin sane which I've owned for about 25 years and played many, many more times than blackstar and it is perfect still so it isn't just me being heavy handed with my vinyl :(

20. James Glennon

I've read every post on this thread and I still can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a copy of Blackstar! Can't make my mind up if it is all the comments on the bad vinyl or actually the music!

JG

21. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Just get it and find out for yourself. It's a must own, and Bowie's last. Love my LP.
    I'll probably get another and stash the clear one!

Purplefowler likes this.
  22. James Glennon

That's it, I have heard the whole album and ask myself will I play it or will it stay on the shelf! Love Bowie, but this one I am not sure!

JG

23. Group of One

Group of One Forum Resident

Music's for listening to. Get it in your lug holes!

24. peelaaa

peelaaa Forum Resident

My first post, hello all!!

I received the repress with the 3 pressing rings on the vinyl centre and 2015/2016 on the back cover. It appears this is the french version. The vinyl was in a pvc sleeve which I had to peel off to remove the vinyl.
    No warps, but on first listen, some pops on the first track side 1 and then on at the end of the last track side 2, there are pops for just under a minute. I inspected the vinyl and a pressing error is easily visible at the end of the last track. The vinyl looks like it hasn't pressed properly, its like a a small raised bit of vinyl.
    So getting it replaced by amazon uk, I hope to get the german version this time.

Just to add that other than the pops etc, the audio quality is superb, and more delicate than the digital file I first listened to.

ShawnMcCann likes this.
  25. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

There seems to be a 2nd press from Columbia in the US also....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.