Anything about Steely Dan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl13, Sep 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I333I and smilin ed like this.
  3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Me too!

4. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  5. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I don't find Deacon Blues depressing at all

Here is a guy that is living his night time underground lifestyle. Maybe he wasn't successful, but he lives life in his hipster terms

Comet01 likes this.
  6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I333I likes this.
  7. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Keith V likes this.
  8. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

I enjoyed 11 Tracks of Whack too - and Medical Science...

Fastnbulbous and Fullbug like this.
  9. October Man

October Man I am the October Man, I dream of many things

Ya cant go wrong with a bit of Steely Dan. IMO.

10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Never figured why that one didn't make the cut!

11. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

A question for the English speakers out there: what's the meaning behind the word "deacon" on "Deacon Blues"? I know about the theme of the song, its meaning and all that, but i don't understand the meaning of this word here. Isn't "deacon" some kind of cleric?

12. shokhead

The song was largely written at Fagen's house in Malibu and was prompted by his observation that "... if a college football team like the University of Alabama could have a grandiose name like the "Crimson Tide" the nerds and losers should be entitled to a grandiose name as well." [1] The song's protagonist has been described by Fagen as "autobiographical' in that it reflected the dreams of both Fagen and Becker about becoming jazz musicians while they were living in the suburbs. Characterized as a "loser" by Fagen, the song's subject was meant to reflect "... a broken dream of a broken man living a broken life."[1]

The name "Deacon" was influenced by Deacon Jones, a professional football player who played for the NFL's Los Angeles Rams.[1]From Wikipedia

ex_mixer likes this.
  13. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Has Fagen's demo of Love Will Make It Right ever surfaced?

14. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

One summer in college - I think it was 1995 - my best friend and I used to sit up until 3 or 4 in the morning, smoking cigars and listening to Steely Dan - especially "Deacon Blues". Sometimes, we'd drink a little and talk about girls. Sometimes we'd just sit in the dark and listen to the music.

Ah, good times. Anytime I hear the song, I remember those days.

Hotel@mnesia, Bananas&blow and zebop like this.
  15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

On recommendations read here, playing HEADQUARTERS for the first time as I write this.

Wow. Damn good. Dan good :cool:

RoyalScam likes this.
  16. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Indeed. Next, if you like post-Gaucho Dan, I'd recommend Bill LaBounty's Back To Your Star. And, as I mentioned elsewhere, Ed Motta's AOR and just-released Perpetual Gateways.

17. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I'm more of 72-77 kinda SD guy, but I'll check them out anyway :righton:

18. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

I've been reading the updated "Reelin' In The Years" SD bio and Fagan makes an interesting and fairly important point regarding Walter Becker's contribution (or supposed lack thereof). People began really asking the question of what Becker actually did when "The Nightfly" was released since, to most ears, it sounded exactly the way the "next" SD album would or should have sounded in the context of their organic progression and development as a band.

When asked directly about this, Fagen said that this "sound" that people attribute to SD was developed over a period of 14 years very slowly and EQUALLY by he and Becker. "Can't Buy a Thrill" certainly sounds less like "Nightly" than "Aja" does, so one can actually trace that development over the course of their albums. So the sound and approach Fagen used on "Nightly," was theirs not his.

Adding to this, he used the same producer (Gary Katz) and engineer (Nichols) and studio musicians, so of course it's gonna sound like a Steely Dan album in terms of sonics. Also, Fagen has said that he normally takes the lead in terms of the harmonic construction of the initial song ideas (the majority of the time, but not always), which Becker then adds to and tweaks. To top it all off, Fagen's vocals are such a signature of Steely Dan that they trick people into overlooking the real major difference between SD and Fagen solo: the lyrics and attitude.

Fagen's solo lyrics certainly have a lot of wit, irony and intelligence - but they almost completely lack real bite and poetry. They tend to be rather plainspeaking and more personal and a tad more bland than SD. I've mentioned this before, but if Fagen sang every song on Becker's "Circus Money" people would say it was the real return to to form SD album. "11 Tracks of Whack" was the anomaly and Becker had just produced Rickie Lee Jones' album and was enjoying the looser approach, even using some of her original demos on the album (with some overdubs). He, bravely, decided to try to write and record is own album in that spirit and, while it doesn't sound like SD, it is a successful and enjoyable collection of cool songs in its own right (which, not incidentally, Fagen produced). It's even easy to imagine a few of the songs, like "Book of Liars," done up in full SD mode with Fagen singing on an official SD album.

Anyway, I was struck by Fagen's comment that what people define as "the SD sound" was developed over a decade by he and Becker, 50/50. It's a very simple, obvious idea that people tend to overlook, at best, and ignore or deny, at worst, when considering Walter Becker's contribution to Steely Dan.

19. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Why do you say this? I always thought it referred to the Wake Forest Demon Deacons, who are def losers in college sports compared to the Tide, whereas Deacon Jones was a huge star in the NFL and later even became an actor. Not saying you're wrong, just curious how you know...

20. shokhead

I didn't say it.

21. somnar

somnar Senior Member

From the WSJ article:

"Mr. Fagen: When Walter came over, we started on the music, then started filling in more lyrics to fit the story. At that time, there had been a lineman with the Los Angeles Rams and the San Diego Chargers, Deacon Jones. We weren’t serious football fans, but Deacon Jones’s name was in the news a lot in the 1960s and early ‘70s, and we liked how it sounded. It also had two syllables, which was convenient, like “Crimson.” The name had nothing to do with Wake Forest’s Demon Deacons or any other team with a losing record. The only Deacon I was familiar with in football at the time was Deacon Jones."

zebop, 905, ti-triodes and 1 other person like this.
  22. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Thanks for the info.

somnar likes this.
  23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

George P likes this.
  24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

25. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

Thread Status: