Don Felder and the Eagles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coot, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

BTW, it should have been 'narcissist,' not 'narcicist' in the post above. :uhhuh:

audiotom and coot like this.
  2. dadonred

I think it may have been pointed out here earlier and also in Felder's book: Henley/Frey had final editorial authority (a condition of doing the documentary in the first place) of the doc. Ponder that for a moment...then read Felder's book.

3. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

Is that not technically true? Felder joined as an addition to Bernie. Then Bernie left and Walsh came in. So Walsh did replace Bernie as such...

4. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Hey, what's the point of this thread? The title Is Don Felder and the Eagles. Covers a lot of ground, no? I'm gonna try to keep my comment out of the weeds and I hope my grammar is ok.

I was a huge fan of their early work, really pushed me along learning to play and sing, especially to learn singing harmony.

Fender was brought into the Eagles by Frey. He was frustrated because he wrote and sang rock songs, but Bernie wasn't a good rock lead player. Frey liked Bernies country songs, but Frey couldn't play country lead well for Bernie. Felder could do both, very well. Felder injected some very important energy into their songs, especially ballads. Think about "one of These Nights". A great song and performance by any measure, but Felders solo is so powerful, it's just drives to a greater height.

It's ironic that Bernie left, but he seemed to become as obnoxious as anyone else in the band. He was type A, not a partier and preferred time with Ron Reagan's daughter to bonding with the band. On top of that, he was bringing in more weepy country songs co written with his girlfriend and insisting they get on the records. Hell, he should have asked Yoko to kick in while at it!

Anycase, his departure gave Felder more opportunities to let loose, and adding Walsh just rocked up the music even more

I love all the music they made (up until last two recordings) and prefer to listen an enjoy as opposed to worrying about all of their self important bla blah blah

Let me know how I scored on the grandma ( I mean grammar)

5. dadonred

Felder, not Fender :p

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Great, now we are correcting autocorrect

PacificOceanBlue and dadonred like this.
  7. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

I feel the same. You don't accept a deal, make a cool $30 million in 6 years playing your old hits, then complain about it every step of the way and attempt to orchestrate a mutiny within the band and not expect to get canned.

GodShifter, PacificOceanBlue and coot like this.
  8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Yes you do, if you're not getting your cut. But, does one have the balls to confront the powers that be. One could say "oh well, 30 million dollars is a lot, does it matter?". If I was in that situation, I'd expect to be paid what's rightfully mine, what the contract says or whatever. If I'm contractually bound to be paid 60 million, but am paid only 30 million, you bet you a$$ I am speaking up and will do everything in my power to see I receive what's mine. What's right is right.

9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Felder is wrong.

10. PacificOceanBlue

Correct, what is right is right -- Felder agreed to the new terms for Hell Freezes Over. If he had issues with it, then he should not have signed the revised deal in 1994. He wanted to stay in the band and take part in the reunion, so he signed the deal. He was paid what was rightfully his under the new terms. He definitely had buyers remorse so-to-speak, regretted his new deal, and was obsessed with what others were earning. But, that is where some of the Felder-supporters lose sight of the plot; it doesn't matter if it was "fair," he agreed to his revised deal and signed on the dotted line.

That said, Eagles Ltd. still allegedly governed other aspects of the band's business, and that appears to be where some of his issues also originated from. After he was fired, he refused to sell back his shares and demanded that Eagles Ltd. be dissolved. Henley and Frey allegedly tried to force a buy-back of his shares at very low value, and Felder refused (rightfully so). His issues with demanding fair value for his shares of Eagles Ltd. are absolutely legitimate, but his whining about his revised deal relating to his share of touring and recording profits was his problem because he agreed to it.

Bellagio Insider, coot, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  11. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

just wondering why people seem intent on dismissing Felder contributing anything worthwhile. Did you all work for Glenn Frey or something? sure Felder overplayed his hand with the business stuff but seems strange you are all on the attack against him musically.

12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Bases on all I've read, I'd have to agree. Both sides did wrong, for sure. I'm not a hater of anyone in The Eagles, either :)

13. JoeRockhead

yet he contributed less to the Eagles pre breakup than Felder.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  14. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

After reading Felder's book, it actually seems to me that Irving Azoff is mostly to blame. He was managing all 3 of them at the same time the new deal went down, obviously working mostly for Frey and Henley but paying lip service to Felder. He should have left Felder due to conflict of interest. It sounds like he fanned the flames by promising Felder he'd "sort things out".

keyXVII, Farmer Mike, coot and 2 others like this.
  15. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Although the Grammy ceremony is about honoring Frey, not Felder, it would be neat to see them invite Felder just this one time. Then let Walsh and Felder do that famous outro solo for Hotel California.

Another "will probably never happen" wish would be for only actual Eagles to play. No anonymous backup players in the shadows.

longaway likes this.
  16. JoeRockhead

well, having Bernie and Meisner helped get them a foot in the door initially - they were the two more established musicians in 1972 - the Eagles had plenty of hits as a four-man group 72-73-74. Didn't Azoff force Felder on them in the first place? Plus they each had plenty of solo hits later on, so that may be a bit of an extreme there what you are saying.

17. JoeRockhead

Mostly conjecture on your part here.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  18. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Steuart Smith is playing in the Glenn Frey Eagles tribute.

I have a peaceful easy feeling about the preceedings.

19. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I believe Irv also represented Walsh, and connected them up. Felder wasn't pushed on the band by Azoff

keyXVII likes this.
  20. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

This renewed Eagles interest had led me to again watch the very fascinating History documentary twice in the last week. Henley and Glenn come off so bitter and controlling, especially Glenn. Everyone associated with them bows to the working directive that it was Frey's band, and he got his way.

Not the biggest Eagles fan, they have done some wonderfull work.
    Put on One of These Nights. This was a real breakthrough album for them. The songwriting at that point had a more democratic aspect. Meisner and Felder wrote Too Many Hands, Bernie Leadon co-wrote Hollywood Waltz and I wish you Peace, and wrote Journey of the Sorcerer. Felder wrote Visions with Henley and Meisner co-wrote Take it to the Limit (with Glenn and Don) and Too Many Hands with Felder.

Felder sang lead on Visions. I could see where Don would feel good about getting the opportunities for writing and laying down a vocal, and be encouraged and looking to do more on the next record, particularly with Bernie's departure.

Henley and Frey were responsible for the hits One of these Nights and Lyin' Eyes, and a large part of Take it to the Limit, their first #1.

It Seemed after the success of this album, Glenn and Henley took a tighter rope on the songwriting in the band and were very successful in congealing things to a more unified commercial and artistic sound.

They took no prisoners in pressuring other band members that didn't fit their vision or "follow along" personna.

21. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

I think you are confusing two different issues here. Felder signed a new business contract for the Hell Freezes Over tour. It essentially made him an employee of Frey and Henley for the tour and any subsequent ventures the band undertook.
    The same Eagles Ltd. corporate structure was still in place for anything relating to the pre 70's band breakup, ie the group's back catalogue. Felder was still a 1/3 owner, however he could get outvoted 2-1 by Don and Glenn.

coot, Zeki and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

Not really. Glenn was friends with Jackson Browne and JD Souther; Jackson told Geffen to get involved with Glenn. Leadon and Meisner had nothing to do with the band getting a "foot in the door" with Geffen and ultimately securing a deal with Asylum.

Azoff never forced Felder on The Eagles; he didn't know who Felder was. Bernie introduced Felder to The Eagles. Some time later, Glenn was aware Felder was in L.A. and wanted him to overdub a couple of guitar solos on the On The Border album. The rest is history.

GodShifter and Zeki like this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

Don Henley will never work with Don Felder again. Too many people make this about Felder v. Frey, and it was much bigger than that, with Henley being an equal target and adversary. Ironically, Henley seems more bitter towards Felder than Frey did.

24. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Even though I see Felder's point on some of the issues (especially the 2/7 deal, if that's indeed true), writing a tell all book is not smart unless you don't plan to ever speak to someone again.

coot likes this.
  25. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Best of My Love was their first number 1 followed by their second with One of These Nights. Then Lyin Eyes made it to number 2 before Take It to the Limit peaked at number 4. It was not a number 1.

audiotom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.