D'Angelo - "Black Messiah" (15-Dec-2014)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whisperinwind21, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whisperinwind21

whisperinwind21 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Naughty Chord and Buda like this.
  2. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Let's hope the Voodoo extended edition includes a live set from the Voodoo tour with the Soultronics. The bootleg I have from the Voodoo tour is just ridiculously good.

3. whisperinwind21

Both Henry and Russell talked in detail about some of the Voodoo tour shows and the tapes they found of those shows. The problem with the Voodoo era tapes is that there are no markings or indications on the tapes and it's been difficult to compile it all. Henry asserted during the event that there are so many treasures in the vault from this period. Interestingly enough, a bulk of Black Messiah derived from the Voodoo sessions. The only songs that were recorded and mixed in the same space of time for Black Messiah were "Another Life," "Charade," and "Tutu (Till It's Done)" from 2008-2010.

4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

5. Lucas..

Lucas.. Forum Resident

Nominated for three categories at the 2016 Grammys

Really Love - Record of the Year and Best R&B Song
    Black Messiah - Best R&B Album

He should have been nominated for AOTY.

6. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Sweet, looks like D'Angelo will tour again next year!

... in Australia. But hey, confirmed dates, I'll take it! Hopin' for another go-round of North American theaters with the Vanguard, hitting the many markets they missed in 2015. Fingers crossed!

Buda and Naughty Chord like this.
  7. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Europe pretty much got it all the way this year, so its understandable he'll visit other parts of the world. Curious what would happen if Japan would get into the schedule. Not in big arenas but I'd expect great ticket sales with those passionate audiences present there.

8. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

1 year ago...incredible excitement...remember?

9. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

yep. i still like this album. Personally, Kendrick dwarfed it, but I still listen to it.

Gaslight likes this.
  10. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

This may be one of the best albums I've heard from the last 10 years.

lbangs, Naughty Chord and Buda like this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Finally picked up this album on vinyl, and it is a wonderful album. I have the US pressing, but I didn't notice any faults, and I thought that the sound was great - I especially liked "Betray My Heart", which fills the living room with bass and cool guitar licks.

I think that it's close to a 10. In my view, an album needs to be considered as a whole - the fact that the individual songs might not be 10s is not critical. That's the reason Sgt. Pepper is considered a masterpiece and the Blue and Red hits albums are not (despite having better individual songs). I think of great albums like a slice of New York pizza - crust is about a 7, tomato sauce is probably an 8, and cheese is pretty awesome, so probably deserves a 9 or 10, but put them together, and pizza=10.

thesisinbold and Naughty Chord like this.
  12. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

After all this time, what is the consensus over the preferable vinyl editions of Messiah, - the EU or the US pressings?

13. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

The U.S. pressing would be hard to beat. Perhaps I got lucky, but all four sides of mine were perfect. Flat, centered LPs.

thesisinbold and Buda like this.
  14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Has it ben that long? I need to re-introduce myself to this album again.

15. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

It's SO good. Kendrick got more press but the albums are neck in neck IMO. They are both outstanding.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  16. whisperinwind21

17. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Naughty Chord likes this.
  18. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

I'm waiting for the deluxe edition of Blackstar or something totally new but I'm afraid D'Angelo will take a longer time before anything new will come out. Until then, the up and coming reissues will be present. I doubt it's a major upgrade but welcome anyone who pulled the plug on this rereleased Brown Sugar.

19. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

My feeling is that Black Messiah opened up a big space that help make To Pimp break in a huge way. The two albums will always be amazing mid-decade twins in my mind.

20. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I'm assuming this is a precursor to the upcoming expanded editions of Brown Sugar, Voodoo, and Black Messiah that are supposed to come out this year. Unfortunately, my version of Protools doesn't support 192/24. :( So I'll be waiting for the CD.

I'm surprised that they're remastering this album though. The only D'Angelo album that could maybe use a remaster is Black Messiah just to see what it would sound like a bit less compressed. But I can't imagine Voodoo's mastering being improved at all and I think Brown Sugar sounds just fine as well.

Maybe they want to remaster so the album tracks match the mastering of the expanded tracks?

21. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

mikemoon and Stone Turntable like this.
  22. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Good point, they seem to miss the opportunity on this every time. I'm not unhappy with my copies of Voodoo or Black Messiah but to hear them cut AAA, as well as Brown Sugar would be nice. I still never really understood Russell's explanation why they didn't or couldn't? I think the Universal RIs are just cash grabs of subpar product.

It's rare these days for modern AAA but at least 15-20 artists find a way to do it each year, almost all of them with a smaller budget than D. It's just not the easiest route.

Naughty Chord and johnnypaddock like this.
  23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

They would have had to assemble the masters into a cutting reel, so there would've been a loss of a generation. That wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world, but they chose to cut from a high-res transfer instead.

mikemoon and Naughty Chord like this.
  24. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Thanks for the response. Yes, I remember it being something like that. I'm guessing it was a timing thing as well as more work, trying to get out the release? I'm just wondering what's any different than the way most analog masters are done on modern vinyl lp mastering productions these days. I'm speaking specifically about modern productions. The only reason I even have this deep of an interest is because they made it a point to hype the analog nature of this project. Once you've recorded and mixed to tape, the hard part has been done. I was real excited that this lp production would continue with that lineage. It's by no means the end of the world. They did put out a quality lp.

This brings up the question of the original Voodoo vinyl. I've heard at least one person say it's better than the LITA vinyl lp, which was mastered from the original master tape (likely a high res transfer). I'm thinking in 2000, even less modern lps were being cut all analog, so the likelihood the original Voodoo is all analog is slim but possible. I'd still love to hear it because those singles and EPs from back then do sound good.

25. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Hoping that the D'Angelo team is just waiting until after the Grammys to announce a tour. I'm jonesin!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.