Rickie Lee Jones - best vinyl pressings?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gilbert green, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I have original US, a German 180, a Japanese and the Rhino 180 by Steve Hoffman. I was very impressed by the Rhino and did not notice the soundstage problem you mention. I was very emotionally involved with the sound on this release. like rediscovering it. i was in awe of the talent and production by the Last Chance Texaco cut. Avoid the German 180.

2. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I just picked up a US 2nd issue of the s/t. In Japan's Disc Unions they label important vinyl '[Country]... Original' etc. so it saves a lot of work but this one was a Capitol reissue with LW5 in the matrix. It was so cheap I'm not really worried but anyone have this and the 1st? Still worth getting?

Or: maybe this is not a reissue, just a different pressing, same year.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

MFSL has done a 45 rpm pressing of the debut, and there is a Hoffman 45 rpm test pressing as well.

4. marcfeld69

5. The 45rpm MFSL is stunning!

6. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I've no doubt that our host's and the the MFSL 45 rpm versions sound great. I've got very good UK early pressing originals of the debut and Pirates and they sound really lovely, particularly the first one. Among my favourite sounding records. So I would just say that if you can pick up a decent original cheaply (and they still seem fairly common on the used market), I wouldn't be fussed about paying the premium for a MOFI or suchlike. But of course we all pay our money and make our choice from personal preference.

7. I agree. Domestic copies can be easily found and her S/T debut is generally well-recorded, mastered and pressed. I have the Rhino and MFSL only because I'm a huge fan of this album.

Dhreview16 likes this.
  8. marcfeld69

Does anyone know if the ones pressed by Capitol with LW in the dead wax are as good as the other pressings, such as the ones with M1 and JW1? (See my post above.)

9. marcfeld69

Hope this works: Paging @WB

10. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Paging @W.B.

(left off the . 's) :)

marcfeld69 likes this.
  11. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I'm not one to judge one LP pressing from another at this point, but it would appear amongst pressings by Capitol the L.A. would be somewhat better than Jacksonville (JW#) or Winchester (WW#). Besides, the only record of Ms. Jones' I have is a Columbia-pressed 45 (from Pitman, NJ) of "Chuck E.'s In Love." And it sounds like heaven.

marcfeld69 and Easy-E like this.
  12. marcfeld69

Thanks, W.B. for your contribution. Can you just clarify which is L.A. Do you mean L.W. in the matrix?

13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You obviously haven't heard the MFSL 45 rpm. This version is actually a leap ahead of a UK original as is the Warner/Rhino 33 rpm to a lesser extent. If you want the best version and are familiar with this album get the MFSL (Also Pirates MFSL 33 rpm).

Dhreview16 and marcfeld69 like this.
  14. W.B.

L.A. is shorthand for Los Angeles. Thought you'd've known that.

15. marcfeld69

Of course I do, but I thought you its as maybe a typo because it's the L.W. initials I am trying to pin down. So does L.W. mean the L.A. plant? Thanks.

16. W.B.

Exactly - just as "JW" signified Jacksonville, and "WW" Winchester." The second-character 'W' indicating Warners'.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Thanks. I am sure that you (Classic Rock) are right that the MFSL is a step up and the best version. I understand why Johnny Vinyl and you bought it. I've bought MFSLs for the same reason. Value is also important to me. So in this case the sound of my UK is good enough for me and I don't plan to upgrade. I take the same view on the Mac's Rumours. But there will be no doubt be others where it is clear there is a top version that I think worth paying the extra for. As Johnny says, it all depends on relative importance. It's always good to know where there is consensus on the best though, rather than divided views, so thanks.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  18. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

+1.

The original Japanese pressing of RLJ on MFSL is also good, but the newer 45rpm is better.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If this and Rumours are among your favourite albums the 45 rpm versions are a must. They are a major upgrade in sound and anyone who likes the originals of these will be surprised at the improvement. Difficult to put value for money on these but in terms of paying a lot for a special version these together with Tea For The Tillerman 45 rpm and a number of the Dylan MFSLs are essential along with The Beatles mono box. They also have investment value so you gain when they go OOP.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  20. marcfeld69

Got you.

21. I wanted to search this up before posting but it appears the discography source pages are unavailable at the moment.

Isn't "Flying Cowboys" remastered by our host? Or wasn't it remastered anyway (by somebody else)? I may have just dreamed that... The original thing so begs for it!

22. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

I definitely wouldn't say that it's a leap ahead. :) When they released the 45 RPM set of RLJ I bought it immediately, expecting it to be better than the Warner/Rhino. However, I was quite disappointed when I listened to it. Now it's just another pretty thing in my collection. The Hoffman/Gray Rhino LP (my go-to copy since 2013) is better overall (and I'm not the only one who thinks so). There's more weight and air. It has that "breath of life". Very detailed, but warm. The MFSL doesn't sound anywhere as exciting.

Yep, their Pirates pressing is awesome. Although I read somewhere that the original Japanese pressing is the best way to hear this album. :cool: Haven't heard it yet. The MoFi is the only copy I have.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  23. @Alex Zabotkin - I'm respectfully disagreeing with you on the 45rpm RLJ. While the Warner/Rhino is excellent, the Mofi ups it IMHO. It could just be a matter of taste though.

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  24. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

marcfeld69 likes this.
  25. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.