Building a Budget Hi Fi System for under £600(853USD) CD or Vinyl.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CrazyCatz, Jan 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Robert C likes this.
  2. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I'm a vinyl guy but would stick to digital at this price point. Spent the bulk of the money on speakers. Used universal player for source if you can't accomodate a USB DAC.

Tim S, Robert C and gingerly like this.
  3. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky! Thread Starter

When tha Net is up to speed(need more coal) will have a look at tha Richer Sounds deal.. I'm already hooked again on Vinyl methinks.. and tbh I don't mind building a Record Collection up Slowly.. hell I've only got about 30-50 CDS.. ..Think Nirvana MTV Unplugged will be my 1st 'full price' Record which I can pick up off FleaBay for £17 new and less for 2nd hand.. That Richer Sounds System is bang on for tha money. started typing this ages ago.. ..Taken Daughter to Nursery since and listened to The Carpenters and Mamas and Papas ..

Well I've decided to get tha AT9600L to begin with, want to take tha OLD Stylus out of the equation and well, start collecting some Vinyl

4. CrazyCatz

Well tha Internet is being utterly useless(well tha Router methinks) anyhoos.. I've ordered tha AT3600L and this will go into service, but be replaced with a better Cart/Stylus within a few months.. ..also been thinking of picking up a new set of head/cart wires and a Cork mat.. are they any good? will it make a difference?(got to really, though maybe not good necessarily) and which thickness to pick up 3mm or 1.5mm? still need to find a place for it to sit(TT) Also do peeps play with or without 'Lid' ?

atb

Hope this Posts. ..

5. CrazyCatz

Buzzing!! Just been gifted about 30-40 Vinyl Albums, inc Trex, Softcell,Duran Duran Lindisfarne, Motown.. What to play 1st!

6. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

You did a terrific job there! I was thinking of how I put together a system for each of my daughters and how close it came to what you chose. My youngest ended up with a Rega RP-1, as we couldn't find a used Thorens in Vancouver at the time. Added a Rega integrated that was new old stock, for less than half of the new price, an iPod dock and some used Epos M12 speakers at about 30% of the new price. I spent a little more than you did, but it really sounds terrific!

CrazyCatz likes this.
  7. CrazyCatz

Well I've just been mucking with tha TRACKING FORCE ADJUSTMENT,and ANTI SKATE..need to have another Look, but I think I've got My head round it now..How Lazy CD players have made us.. this is like a Mission for Sound.. just spun Peter Sarstedt-Where Do You Go To My Lovely. Which sounded pretty good, but after reading tha Pioneer PL-300 Operating Instructions again, I'm going to have another play with it.

atb

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  8. CrazyCatz

Good Morning(might be somewhere?) Anyhoos .. It was a late night/early morning for Me!! When I got home(which was past midnight) and armed with tha above Information I set about resetting tha TT .. Boy what FUN! but seriously it kinda was,and wasn't ..and I'm still not 100% sure.. and that's after maybe spending 2hrs messing with tha Balance of Tone Arm, then the Tracking Force. at one point I had it balance perfectly(well I thought it was) but then realized Stylus wasn't actually touching the Record.. also not 100% sure I trust tha above settings, seems right? But Stylus seems to be only just gliding on Record.. if you blow a bit of fluff of tha tip, can blow Stylus/Arm right across Record.. idk? been a long time .. ..long time.. IF anyone on here has a PL-300 and any Setup Tips be Great .. ..Crystal Gayle sounded amazing!!

9. CrazyCatz

[​IMG]

Afternoon Folks, Hope You all having a Good Sunday? could anybody tell Me(if anyone pops into Thread) IF tha above Protractor would work with my TT?

atb

10. CrazyCatz

Well I've found one of tha above Protractors for a half decent price on tha Bay and also a decent Bubble Level and Record Clamp.. ..Cork Mat next.. ..

atb

11. CrazyCatz

[​IMG]

R.I.P. Sir Terry Wogan

12. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

On that type of table and arm, it IS actually that simple. That should get you something like a Stevenson alignment.

Make sure you figure out how to set the tracking weight. On the AT3600L it's supposed to be pretty high, probably around 3 grams. The AT3600 and AT95 would be more like 2 grams or maybe even a bit less.

Set the antiskate to the same value as the tracking force as a starting point.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  13. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Watch this video:

If I were buying a new hi-fi for £600, I'd split the money thusly:
    • Standmount Speaker £200.00
    • Speaker cable £20.00
    • Integrated amplifier £180.00
    • CD player / DAC £180.00
    • Stands, racks, interconnects, accessories £40.00
    Of course, you can get much better bang for your buck on eBay/gumtree.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  14. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Damn, you could have had my mint NAD 3020B & a pair of either Kef Coda II's or Kef Coda IV's.

15. CrazyCatz

[​IMG]

Would this work ^^^ setting up tha PL-300 with AT Cart/Stylus? Yes I know Protractor Templates can be download, But I can't print @moment.. well at all..

atb

16. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Yes. A better option would be the Hi-Fi News Test LP. It comes with a better protractor and of course the Test LP itself is extremely useful.

17. CrazyCatz

Cheers for tha reply Robert and thank you.. I just can't print one(or would have done) and being very much a Newb(yes I owned Vinyl and indeed a couple of TT..when I was a Teenager) but properly Set-up wouldn't have been high on my List..it played.. But since then got into Hi Fi for a good Ten years..but was mainly CD..then Mp3/PC and then no music for years!! Enjoying tha Music very much again now, and Vinyl is worth tha effort.. Just want to do it right and improve whatever,wherever I can. Waffling!!

And funny you say that ^^^ I spotted tha Hi Fi News Test Record on FleaBay tha other night for £25? and then Google it, does sound interesting and now a member has recommended it will give another look and more than likely put on tha List for purchase over tha coming weeks.. Thanks again

atb

18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

It's a worthwhile purchase. Being able to *know* that your set-up is performing to the best of its abilities is very good for peace of mind and means you can look at other elements of your system in times of playback oddities!

CrazyCatz likes this.
  19. CrazyCatz

Well tha Ortofon Cartridge Alignment Tool turned up Today, now have all tha bits..SOoo will be attempting to fit new Cart/Stylus later(wish me Luck!?) and anybody use or has tried those sorbothane domed feet.? Or tha Metal Spikes/Pads? Seen a few different sorts ranging from a tenner to 40-50quid..

atb

20. CrazyCatz

21. CrazyCatz

Well I don't know IF working? I know it used to...Long Time Ago... I've just rescued a TECHNICS Amp/Receiver SA-500 and also a TECHNICS SL-Q303 TT... need to clean,strip..blow out and dry out(for a while) before attempting to plug in...been living in a shed for 5+ years!!

atb

Pictures to Follow...

22. CrazyCatz

23. CrazyCatz

Well it's been a while since I updated this Thread, mind I did want to let tha equipment dry out for a few weeks, Well I've had tha Amp/Reciever working pretty well for about 5days now(BiG SMILE) sounds very nice!! Listened to Classic Fm every night this week(using inbuilt Tuner) well all Good so far, and this morning I've finally tried both tha TT and CD Player(both also Technics) it has only been short test(I've left running) pleased to say both work, CD Players is sticking and skipping a little? Will strip and clean out.. Tha TT sounds Amazing!! Was no sound at 1st, unplugged and re-plugged back in RCAs..still no sound.. Popped Headshell off(AT M1?) quick inspection.. Blew off touch of dust.. Popped back onto arm.. And We have sound, glorious sound.. Better than my Pioneer TT(bummer, I've promised tha Missus this one) oh well.. But still she'll have a Great TT.. Off to check on things again shortly..

atb

24. CrazyCatz

Gotta have look under bonnet of tha Amp/Receiver.. Main dash bulb is out, from what I've read is a simple job if just tha bulb gone.. Other tha that and I now know 2 x input's are working..

25. CrazyCatz

Righto gonna need a little Help my friends.. Been under bonnet of TECHNICS SA-500 and found tha 3 x dead Bulbs> Googled and even Downloaded Manual/Service Manual seems they(Bulbs) are..

BA9s 6.3v 250mA

But nowhere does it state what Wattage? Found some on FleaBay, but not all specs match and I figure they'd be Low Watt.. 1-1.5? Maybe two anyhoos did find some tha are 6.3v 150mA 1w.. But need 250mA.. Which I can find but 2W.. Grr!! Anyone ..ANYONE messed with Dial/Display Bulbs on older amps..

atb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.