Miami Vice - Season One discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

Ah, I see. I don't remember noticing those things as much then, I suppose due to the lower resolution of tvs. Thanks!

2. Chala

Chala New Member

Do you or anyone else know where i can purchase these repackaged seasons with the clamshell cases? I have been looking for a while now, thank you for any assistance you can provide!

3. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Plus, if you're watching the repeats on Cozi TV, they are always time-compressed. Sometimes distractingly so.

4. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

If you want the whole series, then here. http://www.amazon.com/Miami-Vice-Co...TF8&qid=1455581216&sr=1-4&keywords=miami+vice

Now if, like me, you only want certain seasons, be sure to select the ones dated 2014 and indicate on the bottom of the front cover how many episodes and discs are included. For example, here is season 1. Amazon.com: Miami Vice: Season 1: Don Johnson, Philip Michael Thomas, Edward James Olmos, Michael Mann: Movies & TV »

I only wanted the first two seasons and screwed up by getting the older double sided discs before making note of which are which.

5. George P

George P Notable Member

6. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

You're right in that they don't have the description of the disks at the bottom. I could swear I read on here that the box has single-sided discs.
    You have the same ones I mistakenly bought. If you go with the ones that look like that season one set, you're good.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

I have the whole set, in the old design with two sides per DVD. I don't have a problem with it. What don't you guys like about it?

8. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

People have reported playback issues with them. It's my understanding that's why they were re-released as single-sided disks.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

I see. I guess I got lucky, as mine play fine. I've watched the entire series twice on them.

10. Chala

Chala New Member

Analog74 thanks for your reply. Those in your link look like the thick cases that i prefer for my boxset with the dimensions as such
    External: 135.00 x 190.00 x 27.00mm
    Inches: 5 3/8" x 7 1/2" x 1 1/8"
    Spine: 27.00mm (1 1/8 inches)
    Exactly like this look here Black 8 Disc DVD Cases »

Do you know if those are in fact the dimensions for the boxset? They rarely indicate that in the discriptions

11. RoyalScam

The complete series box (in the white alligator skin-like box) are indeed single-sided discs for all 5 seasons.

12. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

Just started re-watching this show myself recently, having been meaning to do so for some time. Already up to the (occasionally seriously ropey) season 4.

Discovered this show when the DVDs hit the UK during my university years (a decade ago now, eek) and went a bit mad on it, spurred on by a uni friend who likewise became obsessed with it. I do like the first season, and a couple of the episodes are crackers, but it wasn't until later that the show really hit its stride.

13. RoyalScam

Second season and Third (despite its overt "darkness") are the high-water marks, IMO. Then it just got hokey and the lower budgets really began to show.

14. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I disagree 100%. There are some excellent episodes in the 4th AND 5th seasons. Yes, there's some real duds, too, but still enough good ones to warrant watching.

15. Leigh Burne

While I don't think I'd ever say season 5 is as good as 2 or 3, which were undoubtedly the best the show ever was from a critical standpoint, the final season happens to be my second favourite (after 2). I really love the darker, bleaker tone it went for and I even enjoy Tim Truman's more rock-based score. Not as iconic as Hammer's stuff for sure but probably a better fit for the tone the show adopted than Hammer's work would've been.

It is true you can see the budget going down though. There's some majorly cheap looking effects in the last couple of seasons.

RoyalScam and jsayers like this.
  16. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

I may be in the minority, only considering seasons 1 & 2 as worth watching. When originally broadcasted, I recall losing interest during Season 3. When re-watching it more recently, the ability to view them in quicker succession illustrates where ratings were slumping. I don't recall what episodes specifically, but it's amusing to see neon lighting creep back in as if they were saying "Hey, it's still Miami Vice, look!" I can't get past the political correctness and overall more bland look the show morphed into when Dick Wolf was given the reins.

17. RoyalScam

"Frozen Rasta" was the nadir, IMO. "Amnesiac Sonny" was another misstep. As it became the "Don Johnson Show", it just lost flavor.

18. jsayers

Well, to each his own. I just watched those 4 episodes with Sonny losing his memory in the end of season 4 and beginning of season 5 and really enjoyed them. I didn't think I would, either, but I did. :shrug:
    I agree Frozen rasta was a bad episode. But you know what? Name me a long running tv series that doesn't have some stinkers.

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I still remember well the sequence where Crockett shoots Tubbs cut to a song called The Money God. Eerie

jsayers likes this.
  20. Leigh Burne

Season 4 was an odd one - everyone knows those episodes that were just crap (televangelist barbecue, Rasta popsicle, UFOs, cow spaff, token clip show), but alongside those there were some that were actually very good indeed. It's just so uneven. It certainly didn't help that Tubbs was sidelined for a lot of it, but they got him back a little in the final series.

And I actually liked the Crockett amnesia stuff. Sure it was dumb on the face of it, but at the end of the day Don Johnson played it so well I end up really enjoying it. He made a great villain.

Karnak, RoyalScam and jsayers like this.
  21. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

22. jsayers

23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Trying to watch this again on hulu.
    Only saw a few episodes the first time I tried to watch on hulu.
    Is there a reason why season 5 is not on hulu, but the first 4 are?

Darryl

24. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Currently watching Season 2 & just saw Miles Davis.
    He had a pretty big role .

[​IMG]

Darryl

mdm08033 and George P like this.
  25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

good episode, great use of a Robert Plant song and a big reveal the last line of dialogue in the episode

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.