How many records we KNOW?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benjy, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjy

Benjy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was wondering... How many records I can really say I know, instead of just saying i "have" it. My collection certainly has 100+ records I never had time to spin. I probably know each song reasonably well in 1000+ albums. Never counted and haven't got a clue. Has anyone else thought about this?

Steve B likes this.
  2. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I think I heard around 10.000 albums / demos / 7" singles in my life...

3. NoTime806

NoTime806 Forum Resident

4. Benjy

Goodos to you for actually having heard your albums!

The reason I have so many albums I haven't yet heard is that I've received bundles of lps and never bothered to sort them through. Sometimes there's real gems in there.. It's weird, sometimes I've had them for years.

I don't think spotify would make my question meaningless, since I'm not thinking about what we haven't listened to, but what we have.

On the other hand I don't mean we should come up with concrete values or numbers on this. Obviously, a record you've heard 20 times you know better than whatever you've heard twice.

5. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

All of them. I listen to all my unsealed records, and all my sealed ones are just duplicates of ones I already own so that doesn't really count. I'm not sure why I would buy an album what I would barely listen to but I know some treat music more as a smorgasbord than as a juicy steak to be enjoyed.

-Richard

Benjy likes this.
  6. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

This kinda begs the question of how many times do you need to listen to an album to "know" it?

forthlin and reb like this.
  7. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

Sometimes it's fun not to 'know' every track on an album too well, as it can sometimes feel like discovering a 'new' track by a favourite artist.

forthlin, Adam9 and Beatlemania 22 like this.
  8. Beatlemania 22

Beatlemania 22 Forum Resident

Maybe a bit more than 1000.

9. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Don't think I really know any record in my collection, I maybe know the words or when the guitar comes in, sometimes I think I'm fed up with this, but then I play it and find something new.
    Maybe I have too many records.

10. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Depends on the band really.

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Define "know".

If you mean I've listened to it, then it's close to everything (yeah, I'm sure I've got a few stragglers out there). If you mean that I know the track order by heart / know the producer's name / who mastered it etc, then that number goes down drastically.

There's some alums I have that I have listened to dozens of times, and you asked me to name the track order I would not be able to do it.

12. Benjy

You guys are right, it's not really that interesting now that I think about it. Who cares, really. Yesterday I felt like it was threadworthy.

13. Steve B

Steve B Forum Resident

I listen to music based on my mood or how challenging of a listen it is. Having had, at one point in time, 300 plus albums, I really knew 40. I don't think I will ever know "Trout Mask Replica" by Captain Beefheart ; it's too much of a challenge and not pleasing enough to my ears. I will put it on every 3 years. I think I bought it for the intellectual challenge. On another note, I can easily listen to Bowie's "Alladin Sane" over and over again. It's a lot "lighter". I definitely think you can make the same analogy with jazz and classical music where the music becomes more cerebral.

14. vanye

vanye Forum Resident

Naw, don't trouble your heart over it. It ain't possible to have too many records!

royzak2000 likes this.
  15. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I know a lot, but understand little.

nm_west likes this.
  16. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I don't know how many records I know but I know there's more I don't.

17. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Yes, I've thought about it. When I didn't have very many records, I knew every note backwards (they were played constantly). Even today, I can listen to the albums I haven't heard for decades and still know every note.

Now that I have bought so many records and CDs, I can say that I "know" only a small proportion of them. That's not to say that I haven't played some of them many times, but now I tend to "know" the songs I like, and there are fewer purchases that I can say I really "know". There are many records/cds I have bought in the last decade that I've listened to many times, but when I look at them I now can't recall what they are like. And there are many that I can say I've only played once or twice, as they didn't engage me enough to put more effort in (or I didn't think that the investment of repeated listening would pay off).

I feel somewhat sad that I don't have the intimate connection with as many recordings that I would like, but there's so much music out there that I want to experience.

PH416156 and MoonPanda like this.
  18. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

They are mainly records I bought when I was a teenager or young adult , I guess I just played them far more often that the stuff I buy these days

19. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I think it's interesting. I have a lot of music that I know very well such that if I never actually heard the songs again they'd still be with me. At this moment I'm listening to Sixty Six To Timbuktu (Robert Plant anthology) and some of these tracks aren't familiar to me even though I've had them around for years.

20. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Same here. When I was a penniless student, I had a little amount of cassettes and CDs but in retrospect I feel I enjoyed that little collection way more than the -too big?- current one

21. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

There is a confusion here between know as in understand and know as in recognize and remember. To recognize a musical work is fairly easy while to recall it is very difficult. To understand it would require literary and musical analysis plus whatever aspects someone regards subjectively as understanding.

I would say for the average listener that being able to recognize any changes to a work would be what would be called really knowing a work. So if we were to change a line of lyrics or change the notes in a solo or add a background instrument etc etc the listener could identify the change without listening to the original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.