Depeche Mode "Violator" cd?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sound chaser, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

"Clean" is an epic and outstanding closer to this great album. Even though I'm also a PF fan, I never picked up on the reference/nod to "One of These Days" until last year while listening to a BBC broadcast about DM, and the DJ pointed out the similar sounding intros!

Front 242 Addict and Marc 74 like this.
  2. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

Maybe we need some pics with some roses!:D

3. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Just picked up a US Sire original, I prefer it over the UK Mute original - it sounds more lively, and I don't think it's just down to level difference, the UK mute sounds a little polite in comparison - it's definitely a slightly 'richer' sound on the US.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

What's the matrix numbers on your copy?

5. JP Christian

9 26081-2 - it's a silver-faced CD with the DM logo and the tracks are wrap-around text at the bottom.

The Artwork is also more 'vivid' on the US Sire than the UK - more contrast and the rose is a deeper red!

6. JP Christian

I've also just noticed it has 'AAD' on the back, this can't be right, can it?

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Mine has the same.

My matrix has a RE-1, but I am not sure if there was a secret remaster or not.

8. JP Christian

The full code on the inner rim of the CD on mine is:

1 26081-2 RE-1 02

There's another number which is probably irrelevant - Z100883.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Ok, so we have the same pressing. Mine sounds great, too.

JP Christian likes this.
  10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

:righton:

11. pahrumpf

pahrumpf Well-Known Member

I found the same between the US Sire, WG Mute, and 2006 SACD. The original US CD sounds great! The WG is OK. I like it better than the SACD but I don't find it holds up against the US CD.

c-eling and Billy Infinity like this.
  12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Peter Gabriel just released his Back to Front dvd/blu ray and it got me thinking I'd love DM to play show "Violator plus" shows featuring the entire album in order plus some classics.

13. Natcat

Natcat Forum Resident

I have both the first US Sire and the INT WG 846. Both sound great but yes, they do sound different. I just checked DR readings on these two and some tracks do differ across masterings. This confirms what I have always felt about these two masterings - it's not just a level difference - the WG (and variants) are more polite with more space. By contrast the Sire sounds more upfront, but I enjoy both and prefer either over the remaster.

SinnerSaint and tmtomh like this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Anyone else celebrating the 25th anniversary of this great album this week? Hard to believe it has been that long!

I loaded all the era cd singles into iTunes and made a playlist with those and the album proper, and hit shuffle. Some amazing b-sides and remixes during this period.

tmtomh, Billy Infinity and c-eling like this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks for the reminder Jeff, after work will give the album and pertaining singles a play :)

16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Some good reads online in conjunction with anniversary too: Billboard and Rolling Stone features, Francis Kevorkian interview over at Home, etc.

man, we are geezers!!!

c-eling and Billy Infinity like this.
  17. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I just repurchased the US Sire/Reprise - $6 brand new direct from Amazon, not even a marketplace seller! It's the identical mastering and packaging to the US Sire CD one would've bought in 1990 when it was first released. You can find it online for $4 or $5 used, but for $6 brand new, it's kind of a no-brainer.

I've been able to compare the US Sire with the Mute Int German/EU version, and a 24/88.2 FLAC conversion of the SACD layer of the remaster. I agree with others that all three sound very good. I also agree with @Natcat and others that the Sire is better than the Mute. The Mute is slightly more sterile, and perhaps "clean," but the more I listen, the more I find the Mute a bit thin actually, rather than cleaner; I don't hear anything in the Sire that makes me feel it's even the least bit "dirty" or fuzzy in its sound. In fact, after repeated listening, what really jumps out to me is that the vocals are strangely recessed on the Mute version. On the Sire they are more prominent - more upfront yes, but more importantly, better balanced with the L and R panned instruments.

As for the remaster, I go back and forth depending on what mood I'm in. I feel that some moments in the remaster have a holographic quality that isn't there quite as much on the original CDs - "Halo" for example is just breathtaking on the SACD. At the same time, the Sire CD has an integrated, cohesive sound that makes it a great listen from beginning to end, fully the equal of the SACD in terms of the overall listening experience.

Overall I find the SACD different, but neither better nor worse than the Sire CD. If I could find the SACD for not too much money, I would consider buying it, if for no other reason than to turn out all the lights and put Halo on repeat. :) But I don't think anyone's missing much by sticking with the CD.

18. c-eling

Not sure what causes that 'sterile' sound with certain pressings...
    Noticed it on the Holland OMD-Pacific Age (I prefer the Japan for US) and German Erasure-3 Inch Crackers International (Prefer the US Sire which unfortunately does not carry the 12 inch mix of The Hardest Part)

tmtomh likes this.
  19. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Man, that's an album I haven't heard anyone mention since, well, since it was released! I have the Japan-for-US version and like it too.

I don't know where the sterile sound comes from, either. I can only speculate that it's something to do with the mastering moves, small differences in EQ and/or the signal chain of the mastering equipment itself.

c-eling likes this.
  20. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

The original CD sounds great. I'm not a huge Depeche Mode fan, but it's an excellent album from start to finish.

tmtomh and sound chaser like this.
  21. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Violator chart...too many versions to make a decent pic, but you can download it and save it.
    If you need a high quality version just PM me and I'll email you the good looking one.

EAC peak levels courtesy of Marc 74

[​IMG]

22. c-eling

Thanks Marcel! :cheers:

Gems-A-Bems and PH416156 like this.
  23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

You're very welcome; sorry for the poor quality; I tried and tried but there's a limit the free hosting sites can stand :shrug:...and here we have many versions too...

c-eling likes this.
  24. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Could this be one where the original US is the best? When I got my JP Alfa (which according to the chart matches most of the masterings) I was expecting it to better the US Sire/Reprise and it didn't.

tmtomh, Billy Infinity and c-eling like this.
  25. c-eling

Could be Gems, curious on that Australian, I have a Cure Japanese Whispers that surprisingly doesn't sound like a tin can

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.