Help Save The Beatles Catalogue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Seemed at the time The Beatles albums where in need of attention, I think better quality sounding CDs ( SACDs )were desired. Since then new CDs were put out also vinyl in mono and stereo. Are the folks who posted 10 years ago( believe there was a petition)happy campers now with Beatles reissues / products ?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I remember the first Beatles release after the Save the Beatles Catalog campaign was the first Capitol albums boxset in all its Dexterized glory. Probably not what the Save the Beatles people had in mind :D

3. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

It seems for the most part, people are happy with the stereo and mono CDs. To me, A Hard Days Night in stereo just didn't have the same EQ as on the original album, the top end was hotter than what the new remaster has. The Stereo LPs in the US at least, had some pressing issues. The mono LP set set a bench mark of how reissues should be done, first rate, covers and record pressings.

4. drasil

drasil Former Resident

the mono albums on vinyl sound fantastic to me. I'm incredibly happy they decided to issue them at all, and their quality is exactly what the materials deserve. I've had exactly one opportunity to listen to a UK mono first pressing (of revolver) and my reissue copy sounds very much like what I remember of that pressing. I assume the others are similar. even if not, they sound good.

on the other hand, I've never been happy with the '09 remasters on CD. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I find them to be far too bass-heavy, much more than were the original LPs I've heard. (this also affects the McCartney remasters--I mean, it's almost nutty how much the low mids are boosted on the ram deluxe edition.)

there's also the issue of 'mistake correction' that bothers me more than I think would the average listener. it's the archivist in me.

anyway, I've kept my '87 CDs and still listen to those instead. they're really not great, either--at all--but I have a much harder time with that overpresent low end on the '09s. and I play bass, even.

5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Didn t know the bestselling and most heralded back-catalogue ever was in need of being saved. Hmmm.:)

Meddle, Jimmy B., DrBeatle and 7 others like this.
  6. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I'll be happier when there is a decent stereo remix of the early albums and when Let It Be is released on bluray - but I can survive for now. I hope that happens before I kick the bucket. We waited WAY too long for some of this stuff.

7. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

You better grab this then!
    [​IMG]

Tommyboy and TonyACT like this.
  8. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Happy. But I would love an AAA reissue of Abbey Road and Let it Be.

bluemooze, Tombby, Clonesteak and 7 others like this.
  9. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I quit whining after the latest reissues. (though I reeeally wanted Sgt Pepper with bonus tracks (Lane/Fields single, latest Xmas record etc.) Ditto for Revolver, Let It Be . It seems the Beatles and the Stones have special dispensation to release miserly pence-pinching product that gives us NO extras, NO refills.
    Stupid, mean rock & roll bands!:rant:

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It would be nice if they would reissue the stereo albums in AAA. I highly doubt that it would happen. My only hope is that a few albums (Abbey Road, Pepper, WA) are given audiophile treatment.

I think the entire catalog will eventually be remixed. I'm all for it, but I hope it will be done tastefully and in addition be mastered better than the latest edition of the 1 album.

Carlox and HarvG like this.
  11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

:laugh:

12. alexpop

Boxset" No 'not what they had in mind.:)

13. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I'd welcome an AAA Let It Be with the original UK box and a well bound book. It would be a bit costly. I remember paying $8.77 for the Canadian box back in 1970 and the book fell apart within a year.

ronbow, SixtiesGuy and Jtycho like this.
  14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I don't need to buy the Beatles albums ever again now, happy.

15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I'm happy enough. I kept my original revolver thru Let it Be CDs. Got rid of the rest as I have all the stereo and mono remasters. As another person said, the error correction bothers me. Either remix or leave them as they are. (I'd prefer stereo remixes too but as long as the originals are in print.)

alexpop likes this.
  16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am very happy with the mono AAA vinyl and with the AAA Red and Blue vinyl.

I am not happy with digital stereo vinyl. I am not happy with no digital hi-res.

17. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

The 2014 Mono vinyl records, did it for me.
    I have felt satisfied ever since.

What will eventually appear in the future are fine as extras, but nothing more.

That their music will now be part of an animation series, are great.
    If we want the kids to appreciate the music, this is the way.
    No old pictures or live footage. Just let the music find it's own way through new channel's and you will have the kids sing She Loves You again. Same with streaming. It's just work-tools to get the music out there.

18. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

The extreme Stereo separation between the vocals and the instruments on the 2009 remasters. :shake:

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Nice to see a Beatles here for once :nyah:

I'm quite happy with 2009 stereo CDs of the five Beatles albums I ever want to hear again.

Tristero and zenarus like this.
  20. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

My favorite Beatles material is from the mono era, so :)

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  21. alexpop

'87 CDs"I got rid of mine cept The White Album(fatboy)& Pepper..which seemed to be approved here.

22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I am done buying music by The Beatles. The Mono lps completed my needs from that band.

Gavinyl likes this.
  23. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

The fact that there are thousands of posts on the Steve Hoffman boards and elsewhere expressing a broad range of opinions about every Beatles recording ever issued, from the original pressings up to today, is a strong indicator that no matter what Apple Corps does with the group's catalog, some people will never be satisfied. Probably the closest they will ever get are the recent analog mono LP reissues. As far as I'm concerned it's likely that the only recordings I would buy again would be decent stereo remixes of Rubber Soul and Help!, or if there would be some profoundly better mixes of other albums. I never thought I'd say this, but what I now have is good enough to last me for the foreseeable future.

24. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

While I hate the extreme separation of the earlier stereo stuff, it has a clarity the monos cannot match. Listening to out takes shows the music was recorded very well but their mixing severely "dumbed" it down. As late as Abbey Road", their placement of instruments in the mix was severely challenged. Vocals on one side still in 1969 on HCTS?

Chemguy and Keith V like this.
  25. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Beatles fans are never happy :D
    Wait, I'm one.
    Actually the last remasters sound as good as they can ever get to me. More than happy guv. I wont be buying any more.

hodgo, pdenny and ProfBoz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.