Tubular Bells- masterpiece or rubbish?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by urasam2, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Some great posts here that should help the OP with context.

Gretsch6136 likes this.
  2. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Never thought of that...
    Btw, VS was used for the singles ("Mike Oldfield's Single", also Virgin's first single, was VS 101. Tubular Bells itself is V 2001.

3. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Oldfield is a huge sci fi fan and made a great album called Songs of Distant Earth inspired by Arthur C Clarke's story of the same name. He also did an album called Discovery.

JulesRules likes this.
  4. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I watched a documentary about the making of Tubular Bells. Oldfield played his demo to some of the engineers of The Manor recording studio, after being rejected by many established labels.
    The engineers played it to Branson, who said, "But, there are no words on it!"
    Fortunately, he recognised its potential, supported the venture and the rest is history.

Branson recognised the significance of the album to his empire by naming two aircraft "Tubular Belle"

JulesRules, TS582 and Pancat like this.
  5. Ashley Pomeroy

Ashley Pomeroy Forum Resident

Virgin had a poster advert listing their first four releases - it was a nude shot of a pregnant woman - which were Tubular Bells V2001, Gong's Flying Teapot V2002, Steve York's Manor Live V2003, and The Faust Tapes VC501, which was 48p. That's a pretty interesting opening line-up.

It would be fascinating to know what Virgin expected of Tubular Bells before it was released. My impression is that the label was an indulgence, perhaps a tax break, initially set up with no great commercial expectations. For a while it was like Factory Records, with a couple of profit-making acts (Tangerine Dream's Phaedra sold very well) subsidising a lot of rubbish, and then unlike Factory it dropped the rubbish and developed a sharp business mind. Which had the effect of alienating Mike Oldfield, but you can't make an omelette etc.

What was Richard Branson's plan if Tubular Bells had sold twenty thousand copies, peaked at number #46, ended up on Overlooked Prog Gems of the 70s lists alongside Cornelius Cardew and the Edgar Broughton Band? Did he have one?

6. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

i doubt he did, it is said old Beardy knowns little about music nor has much interest in it, its just business and to be fair he's been pretty good at that eh. What happened to Virgin in 77 is that, through ( genius ) opportunism they almost overnight went from a prog label to a punk and new wave label sitting alongside ( but not part of ) the indie label scene which did indeed alienate the label old guard like Oldfield ( still ironically in his early 20's ). The comparison to Factory is a good one but Tony Wilson who did know about music and was very interested in it was accordingly not as interested in making money as old Beardy so they were never going to become a virgin ( there was never going to be a Factory Airline or a Fac great western or - thankfully - a Fac media and latterly a Fac money )

However fair play to Branson with a sharp mind he has made a massive business whilst amazingly retaining some kind of anti establishment street creed ...when in fact nothing is probably further from the truth.

7. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Tubular Bells is a journey.

JulesRules and The_Windmill like this.
  8. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Took me many years to get into this album. Still need to get more into side 2. The only thing I still don't care for is the silly Sailor's Hornpipe ending. Other than that it's impressive all things considered and an interesting listening experience - BUT: You have to be prepared for it. I've listened to it now and then and just thought f... off and other times with the lights out, headphones on - a total winner. It's an album that really demands you to be there 100 % or else you just don't get it. At least I didn't.

Mustn't forget that Oldfield is much more than Tubular Bells... An album I personally found very easy to get into is The Songs of Distant Earth.

9. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Yes, I gave it a listen again thanks to this thread, partly in case it didn't 'stand up'. I still think it's great. But I also listened to Tubular Bells 2003, which I found pleasant enough at the time, and I'm afraid the scales really fell from my eyes on that one! For me, Oldfield's late career decline has been one of the most alarming and dramatic that I can think of. :cry:

10. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

Depends on which edition. The first SACD came in 2001 on Virgin Records SACDV 2001. Includes 5.1 mix. Quite rare these days.
    In 2010 Mercury Records released an SACD in Japan which is Stereo only and not so rare. UIGY 9629.

alexpop likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I have the early one, about the same time as I got The Police SACD.

julotto likes this.
  12. strifeknot

strifeknot Senior Member

Wow, philistines get real touchy when the value one of their artless darlings is questioned.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
    Gretsch6136 likes this.
  13. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I love Tubular Bells. William Friedkin stated after hearing the music of Tangerine Dream he would have had them do the score for The Exorcist.

14. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

15. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Well, that's pretty obnoxious.

JulesRules and Pancat like this.
  16. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

To all visitors of the zoo
    Please do not feed the trolls
    They have plenty already

17. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

What's the best way to get the live video with Ratledge, Frith et al?

18. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

Although I agree with the do not feed part, they don't really have plenty of anything. That's why they're trolls.

JulesRules, Pancat and The_Windmill like this.
  19. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

It's on the DVD in the 2009 Deluxe.

20. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Wasn't it on the standalone 'Elements' dvd as well?

21. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Yes

22. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

(Has anyone yet mentioned that...) Tubular Bells 2 also has the glorious Trevor Horn sprinkling of fairydust.

James Cunningham and Pancat like this.
  23. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

... and that gawd awful version of the piltdown man section that's more embarrassing than the original.

--Geoff

24. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I don't know. I think the version in II is hilarious. Sounds like they let a bellowing schizophrenic into a child star's pop song.

JulesRules and The_Windmill like this.
  25. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I always liked it a lot. The live version of the original broadcast is possibly even more fun and engaging (I don't know why it was replaced with half of a playback version in the official DVD).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    JulesRules and Runicen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.