The end? Jazz Record Mart up for sale

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Jan 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Yep, this is true.

I looked at an old Barnes and Noble store for my store, it had been empty for at least five years and there was no negotiating the rent with a large real estate holding company. It was better for the client to take the tax deduction every year than rent at a lower rate.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

It's not really accurate to say I "like" your post. Really I just want to say I concur, and I can understand your frustration.

krlpuretone likes this.
  3. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

It's a shame the JRM won't be around, though it's been a few years since I've been there--primarily because of its out-of-the-way (for me) location.

When I worked in the Loop, I couldn't go there as often as I wanted to because an hour wasn't long enough time to walk there & back and still be able to browse sufficiently.

After that, when I'd take the train down with the JRM as my primary destination it would be about a two-mile round-trip walk, so that limited my enthusiasm--especially after I got out of the "walking shape" one gets into when they work downtown and walk their ass off every day. Easier just to order stuff online. Yes, there are cabs, but that's another expense along with the train ticket that gives the edge to online shopping.

Anyway, what I'll remember most about that place is the boxes and boxes of used jazz CDs. Found lots of good stuff that I didn't even know I was looking for.

Oh well, they're all gone now. JRM, Crow's Nest, Tower, Rock Records. Even the FYE on Randolph was pretty damn good by FYE standards.

WayOutWardell likes this.
  4. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

The JRM was seldom if ever the cheapest place to pick up music. But it always seemed to have the most complete stock of in-print blues and jazz. Bob must have made sure that most titles were kept available in his inventory. The jazz selection was great but I think the blues was even better. I have not seen so many obscure blues titles in one store before.

RIP JRM. I will certainly miss the place.

5. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

Damn, had a chance to go when I was on the way to Milwaukee and passed it by last year. Should have taken the opportunity.

6. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

I,too, visited Chicago once,but got to spend two glorious uninterrupted visits to JRM during my time. The second time,a newbie was being trained to do a charge sale. While waiting for bank verification,I told the guy not to screw this up,he was working in heaven. After my two visits,my wife then discovered why I brought along a fold-up bag- to transport all of the treasures back home. Over the years I made a couple of mail order sales and they kept me on the mailing list. Always a good day when the JRM mailer was waiting on the kitchen table.

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

And according to the article, that's "only" double what it was. Heck, how were they maintaining $6,000/month rent?

It's sad. Unique stores, good cheap restaurants and other social spaces make an area attractive to gentrification, which then prices out all the stuff that made it a destination to begin with. Then everyone's stuck with high rents, crappy corporate food and flagship stores filled with outrageously priced goods.

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I had various jobs in downtown Chicago from 1997 to 2002 and have many items from JRM, Tower and Crow's Nest to show for those years. Now there is a small Reckless store downtown, not bad but quite a step down.

9. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

10. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

11. KevinP

He's always been an interesting to listen to.

12. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Wow, so this weekend is it for the store? I won't be around for the farewell. Oh well, I've made enough record store-closing pilgrimages around town in the past to last me.

Thanks for the CDs, JRM. And the exercise... :D

13. WayOutWardell

WayOutWardell Forum Resident

Tangentially related: the storefront that was used as the record shop in 'High Fidelity' had been vacant for upwards of 20 years and, last year, was renovated and leased to a shoe store. That shoe store went belly-up this month after their rent went up to $15k/month.

14. KevinP

15. Schoolmaster Bones

My passion for collecting 78s was the result of working at a job located two short blocks from Jazz Record Mart. Come to think of it, I'm not sure my appreciation for Jazz would be where it is now without that place.

I'm gonna miss JRM. Just another reminder that nothing lasts forever. Enjoy every record store visit like it may be your last.

Gaslight and WayOutWardell like this.
  16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

i always got their catalog in the mail, but I sadly rarely ever bought from them and i never made a visit there either, which is also sad since we used to go to Chicago a couple of times a year for the jukebox convention in St. Charles. This is the one album that was amazing that I bought from Delmark (and jazz fans you have to find a copy of it!)

Candy Johnson »

17. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

With JRM's closing, the only place around I can think of for jazz CDs is Chicago Digital in Oak Park. Kinda odd and limited hours, and you have to sift through Amazon printouts to find stuff, but it's usually well worth the time. Plus, he's got tons of jazz (and other) box sets in glass cases overhead for quick perusal.

If you're into vinyl, you're outta luck there. Head over to Half Price Books and wade through all the dog-eared, scratched-to-hell LPs that have been sitting in musty basements and garages since 1985. :D

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Reckless, Hyde Park Records, Val's Halla and Dave's Records have good jazz. Occasionally there is a buried gem at Beverly Records if you want to go out that way. But it is a shame to lose JRM.

19. Schoolmaster Bones

Don't give up hope, fellow Chicagoans. We still have Dusty Groove. Not as huge of an inventory, but the selection is well curated and their vinyl is reasonably priced.

RubenH likes this.
  20. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Dusty Groove is great- worth a look for sure.

21. KevinP

22. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

23. WayOutWardell

WayOutWardell Forum Resident

The plot thickens...

24. Good news.

I stopped by at the JRM (for one last time, been there a few times before) in early January during my trip to the U.S. to visit my son. Will be back this summer and will most likely go to Chicago for a few days. Will definitely check out this new store.

25. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Oh man, I live near there. Good news (bad news for my wallet)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.