Ariana Richards Now Painting, And Quite Good.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Khaki F, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi All,

I happened to be reading an article the other day about famous actors who have retired, and there was mention of Ariana Richards (Jurassic Park) having stepped out of the spotlight to pursue a career in painting. Well okay, I thought... good for her.

Tonight I got curious and decided to view her website, and was surprised and impressed. She's painting portraits in an impressionistic style, and in my opinion at least, she has quite a gift for it.

Here is a link to her website:

Gallery Ariana, Ariana Richards official Portrait Artist website. Jurassic Park »

I'd be interested in knowing what you think.

SonOfAlerik, Mal and bluemooze like this.
  2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Not my cup of tea. Typical of an amatuer painter who has the notion that mimicking a camera is the way to approach figurative painting. The camera has its own artifacts that we learn to accept as realism and her painting faithfully duplicates those artifacts.

There is no drawing that I can see because the underlying work seems to be a tracing of a projected photograph. Very little in the way of expression, or interpretation that shows the concept and thought of a working artist. Long on a kind of technique that emphasizes eradication of the human touch.

Deesky, Ghostworld and Solaris like this.
  3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Aren't there photoshop filters that do that? I'm missing the Impressionistic part.

4. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Tough Crowd!

I like this one:

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and Khaki F like this.
  5. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Looks like the work of a talented beginner with a basic understanding of technique. A solid starting point. Could be interesting if she continues to push inward and develop her style.

Atari265278, SonOfAlerik and Khaki F like this.
  6. drasil

drasil Former Resident

she's absolutely working from photographic projections, as Pete said. there's visible lens distortion in the compositions. how you feel about this in a post-Warholian world is up to you.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Tough crowd, indeed! I couldn't paint a picture like that if my life depended on it! :p

SandAndGlass, Khaki F and Mal like this.
  8. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I guess it's just a sign that I'm getting old.... but I can't believe the little girl from Tremors is now married and has a child. :p

9. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Camera obscura, anyone?

To me that's not the issue. I find the style here sentimental and trite, but Thomas Kinkade made millions off that kind of crap. There's a good chunk of money to be made off art that would never hang in a museum. Not everyone wants to be Picasso.

carrick doone and Sneaky Pete like this.
  10. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Why would anyone not want to be Picasso?

11. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I doubt she's using a camera obscura, but I know that's not your point. a post-Vermeerian world, then. or post-da Vinci, even.

I make no value judgements when it
    comes to art. the halls of my mind are lined with velvet Elvis paintings.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  12. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, folks. It's all good, and appreciated. I have to admit I still really like the paintings though, and would commission her to do my own portrait if I ever wanted or needed one... providing I could afford it.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, a little too photorealistic for me too.

I liked her in Jurassic Park. She reminded me of a young Hayley Mills:

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. She's clearly got talent from a basic technical perspective but the work is kind of bland, if pleasant enough. Makes me think of covers for contemporary romance novels targeted to suburban women.

bopdd and Solaris like this.
  15. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I like it. But my favorite painting is that one with dogs playing poker.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I like it!

17. Michael

like that's surprising? I too like that one and most of all the others...good feel.

SandAndGlass and Mal like this.
  18. Michael

that always makes me smile...

19. Michael

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I didn't know that she painted. I like her work a lot.

21. SandAndGlass

Jurassic Park fans... If you like the jello scene, here's some exciting news...

Two years after filming Jurassic park, Ariana painted a watercolor of this shot of Lex with a raptor in the superimpoosed.

Recently, she made 1,000 high quality lithographs of this watercolor, the remaining prints are on sale at Amazon for $98 with free domestic shipping. Each lithograph is personally signed by Ariana and has an embossed logo of Jurassic Park that the studio extended her permission to use.

Here is a link to the lithograph named Raptor Vision.

22. Michael

pretty cool...thanks!

23. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

high-end hotel room art, but good for her for trying

24. SandAndGlass

I ordered a couple of Raptor Vision lithographs. Before they came in, since one is for a friend, I was back on Ariana's web site and I came across a short bit of feedback from someone who had previously purchased a print. His comments were that the photo on the Internet does no do the lithograph justice, the shading and detail of the actual lithograph hit home with him.

The next day I received my first lithograph. That individual was right, I am totally happy with my Raptor Vision. For someone who was just 15-years old at the time that she did her original watercolor, I see buckets full of talent. Imagine if they sell out at an average of $100 per-lithograph, she did a one time offering of 1,000 prints, do the math! Gross sales of one hundred grand from something that you did when you were fifteen years old, works for me!

I think tht this is so neet, being able to have art with a tie in to a memorable scene in Jurassic Park and having it being painted by the subject herself, that's sweet.

Page O'Hara, who did the voice of Belle in Beauty and the Beast does original oils and lithographs from that movie and sells them on Disney's movie art web site.

She is also a quite impressive artist.

I wish that I could afford to stay in high end hotels, the kind that might display art such as hers.

But... I do run a small motel on Fort Lauderdale Beach, very modest, way down the food chain from high end hotels. I plan on framing my copy and displaying it in the office. From your comment, this might just kick us up the ladder a notch or two.

If she was was that talented at fifteen, I imagine that she honed her skills quite a bit over the next couple of decades. Judging from here background, described on her web site, I believe that she has both a considerable art education and many years of practice.

I would love to see her work displayed in a gallery.

Have you ever seen any of her art in person? Kinda hard to judge a Monet from a photo on the Internet.

She has a lot of affordable pantings on her web site, I have made some inquiries and I look forward to perhaps own one of her original framed oils. I like some of Monet's work also. Don't know how much an original Monet yould set me back but I'm thinking that it would be more than my lifetime's income.

With that in mind, seeing art that I like and art that I can possible afford, to me, it's a win win situation.

When I enter some of the local art galleries and I see something that I really like, I then check out the price and say to myself, oh well.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  25. drasil

drasil Former Resident

you could expect something in the range of $10-15 million at auction for a relatively small (say 18"x24"), typical work with no public recognition factor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.