New Steven Wilson Album: "4 1/2"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Olias of Sunhill, Nov 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

2. Anyone had issues with the download files for his "Transcience" complilation? I'm hearing huge amounts of background noise on mine, and these are the digital files. The vinyl itself sounds really good.

3. Dr. Metal MD

Puppy monkey baby

4. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I initially thought Don't Hate Me was going to be the far lead stand out on this release. After hearing My Book Of Regrets about 30 times now, I think is equals it.
    That drop off in the song when "Under neon lights she walks home" starts is stunning. It brings in the same mood as Don't Hate Me.

Alternative4 and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  5. Indeed, but how about anyone else's digital files from Transience. Anyone hearing the weird background noise?

6. I'm sure I read some where that there was going to be a 2nd set also covering the Delerium years. That leaves on the Sunday of Life, Up the Downstair and Voyage 34 from the regular lp releases plus whatever promos, eps and singles could be gathered up. I'd be a starter for sure.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  7. Dr. Metal MD

Sounds like I have a lot of Porcupine Tree to catch up on!

8. Dr. Metal MD

What do you guys feel are the best Porcupine Tree albums to start with? I really want to get into this band. Thanks.

9. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Start with In Absentia. If you like that move slightly backwards with Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream and then carry on forwards with Deadwing. The earlier albums are more trippy/psychedelic (although still PT sounding, just a bit different) so unless you're into that, leave those until last.

slipkid likes this.
  10. Dr. Metal MD

Thanks for the heads-up. As I said earlier, I definitely like the more progressive side of SW. So, the more proggy the Porcupine Tree album, the better. Never really been into trippy/psychedelic, though. I'll check them out.

11. Dr. Metal MD

Does anyone now if there will be any vinyl Porcupine Tree reissues of In Absentia, Deadwing, or Fear of a Blank Planet in the near future?

12. Deadwing is my only missing vinyl and messaging back and forth to Burning Shed they've been promising a reissue "sometime" in the near future, which seems to getting more distant than near. If you can't find copies for some releases at your regular sources try ToneFloat in Holland. Not the cheapest but I had a real splurge ordering from them a couple of years ago without any problems.
    The Tonefloat Shop »
    Amazon UK and Germany also have several releases still listed from themselves or third party sellers and if you're buying from Amazon direct you get VAT deducted which helps cover the freight or more. Discogs would be well worth searching as well.
    There's generally only one way PT vinyl releases go for price and that's up, even with the reissues. My philosophy now is to get them on release.

13. mrclick

mrclick Forum Resident

No need to make it complicated. Tonefloat are a fab label and you can buy PT stuff direct from them still. Perhaps better still just go to StevenWilsonHQ.com and onto the Headphone Dust Store and there are lots of PT LPs available. Brand spanking new and at good prices.

oneway23 likes this.
  14. MoveAlongHome

MoveAlongHome Well-Known Member

FOABP is 40 GBP shipped :(

15. True, but sometimes those of us from the outer reaches have to shop around for the best pricing once shipping comes into play. Ordering the Delerium Years vinyl set via Amazon UK instead of Burning Shed saved me over UK40pounds in shipping costs .
    Loved getting the packages from ToneFloat as they covered the post with stamps instead of a boring Post label so I'd get a whole lp mailer virtually covered in Dutch Stamps.

16. mrclick

mrclick Forum Resident

Yes those Dutch stamps are great! Fair point about postage - I never enjoy having to buy stuff from the USA for that reason. And then there's the extra tax......

17. Dr. Metal MD

Thanks for your insight. That's generally my plan as well. Hop on the pre-order as soon as it goes up. However, since I am now just getting into Porcupine Tree and heavily into SW's solo career, I am left to either spend an outrageous amount on an OP or (still a lot) on a reissue. So, having a new set of reissues would be incredible news to me. I can't find a copy of Deadwing on vinyl for under $200! I'll just buy the CD in that case unless they reissue it on vinyl.

Thanks for the link! I just checked and the price of the vinyl is VERY fair. However, shipping to the US would be another 24 GBP, so £63.70 ($92.40) for In Absentia and FOABP. I may have to look elsewhere.

18. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Everyone will have their own opinion, but I think that 'Signify' is their best album. Although, I prefer their atmospheric Pink Floyd sound prior to that album, 'Signify' is a great album. I am not as big of a fan of their heavier sound, but I think that 'Fear of a Blank Planet' is one of their top 3 albums, as those songs with a mix if heavy and lighter sound really clicked for me. By the time that 'The Incident' was released, I thought it was their first average album, and got into Wilson's Blackfield band around that time(the 1st 2 albums & 'Live from NYC') to get some lighter music with great melodies. I do like all of the SW solo albums with his new band, that is just as talented as the musicians in PT-IMHO. Although, a few songs get a little too 'Proggy', overall the SW albums are great.

I would also strongly recommend the mid '90s albums, 'Up the Downstairs' and if you like atmospheric Pink Floyd, be sure to get 'The Sky Moves Sideways'-great headphone music. There is a great 2-CD set that covers the best of their '90s music, called 'Stars Die', and a Live 2-CD set, 'Coma Divine'. Both come in a nice hardback book package(same packaging that was used for re-releases of 'Up the Downstairs', 'The Sky Moves Sideways', 'Signify', 'Stupid Dream' and 'Lightbulb Sun'.

GKH, danielbravo and oneway23 like this.
  19. TheSeldomSeenKid

I just ordered FOABP from Burning Shed, as it was the lowest price that I saw it for even with the shipping fee, but I also wanted to order the Blu-Ray for Anesthetize, since it is no longer available on Amazon-US, so needed to place an order with BS anyways.

20. Dr. Metal MD

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it! Please let me know how FOABP sounds on vinyl. I will probably pick up a copy soon, money is just tight right now.

21. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Well I'll tell you exactly the albums of the era of Delerium Records is the most progressive and exerimental. In Absentia, Deadwing, A Fera Of A Blank Planet are more heavy metal - prog.

Check this album "Stars Die" is a very interesting collection of their first five albums ... is a good way to get started in Porcupine Tree if you really like Prog Rock
    [​IMG]

GKH likes this.
  22. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

These albums that you mentioned are just my favorites, Coma Divine is an incredible live album ... beautiful live sound
    those early albums are my favorites.

GKH and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  23. TheSeldomSeenKid

I wish there was a Blu-Ray release of Coma Divine or any concert covering their music from the Delerium era, like on the 'Stars Die' Best of Collection. I finally ordered the Blu-Ray for 'Anesthesize', but just do not care enough about most of the songs on the DVD that covered the 'Deadwing' period(and other heavier songs just prior to those on 'Deadwing'. I do not hate those songs, but I do not understand why 2 DVD concerts(and one with a Blu- Ray option) both covered their heavier period, and there is no DVD(although prefer Blu-Ray) of a concert from their music from the 1990s period. Maybe SW will make such a concert available someday for those of us, who like the PT catalog up through 'Signify' more than the Heavy Progr-Metal sound(or whatever it is classified as) from the last 4 PT albums.

danielbravo likes this.
  24. TheSeldomSeenKid

Just getting into vinyl, I would love to have 'Stars Die' on vinyl just for the cover art alone. I am not sure if it was ever released on vinyl, but do not see it sold anywhere now. Kind of disappointing that the new Delerium Vinyl set, does not have the cover art for the actual albums included in that box set.

danielbravo likes this.
  25. TheSeldomSeenKid

I just got into vinyl when Peter Gabriel released his Half Speed Masters 45rpm for 1-4 albums last October(ordered in August thinking they might sell out being limited to 10,000 per album). I have been getting a few other albums on vinyl, but will most likely not get a turntable until later this year, and an entry łevel one at that for $250-$400(as of now probably get an AT-120LP), so will not be able to provide feedback, but most people on here say that any PT or SW on Vinyl is good, by being Pressed at Optimal or other good Pressing company, so that is why I felt safe buying 'FOABP' on vinyl, and it is getting expensive at some internet sites, who sell it New, so I wanted to get a copy now. The only vinyl that seems to have potential issues, is 'Up the Downstairs', but maybe other people, who own the current vinyl of that album can provide feedback on it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.